New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any love for the 260?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I had a successful Pa deer season using the 260. I have a Ruger M77 MkII dad got me for Christmas in 2003. I had read about it in a gun magazine, and thought it was so cool. I have had probably 15-20 deer fall to that gun, anywhere from 20-250 yards. This year I used it to shoot a doe at 40 yards through the front of the chest as she was facing me. Blew apart the lungs and exited. She went 40 yards and collapsed. A week later I used it to shoot my best buck. It was an 8 point, only 15 1/2 inside spread, but long tines and good mass. Tines were almost 10 inches long, mass was 5 1/8 on the base, giving him a rough score of 126 or 127.I would post a pic, but have no idea how. He was 75 yards quartered hard away. Slipped one into the boiler room. Again, 30-40 yards and he was done.
This is what I have come to expect with this gun. Right now I m shooting 140 grain Accubonds under a charge of Reloader 19 for a MV of 2650. Have not played with much else. Think for next season I will experiment with some others. The 100 or 120 TTSX seem like a good option, or the 125 partitions. I have complete faith in that gun. The hard part will be when I get my 358 Winchester built, I will not know which to take...I guess flip a coin!!1

Posts: 53 | Location: Central Pa | Registered: 29 November 2017Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
James Ballistically the 260 is nothing new. It duplicates the ballistics of the 6.5x55 Swede which has taken thousands of moose in the Scandinavian countries over the last 100 years. Wouldn't be my choice on big bears but it will handle just about any other North American animal with the right bullet. For moose and elk a 140 gr or heavier. For anything smaller the 125 Partition is hard to beat. I have several 6.5x55's and a 260. Very little difference across the chronogragh or on game. It may be the BEST cartridge for a lady or youngster or anyone who doesn't tolerate much recoil.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought.my first 260 Remington for kids to use on youth.hunts .It was a total hit with.them super accurate and didn't kick .I have had started them with an old 6.5 jap then.went to 264 win mag was too big for them then 260 just right .I.bought another savage model 11 then an ar10 260 it's awesome.I like it better than 6'5 creedmore because you can make brass out of 308 or 243 brass that makes it $4 a box with cheap bullets so kids shoot more !

Posts: 2543 | Registered: 21 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm totally loving mine on a Savage Striker. Extremely accurate and get 2500fps out of a 14 inch barrel. Max load of Re 19 and 140gr Hornady. Haven't blooded it yet but hopefully soon.

Society of Intolerant Old Men. Rifle Slut Division.

Posts: 1034 | Location: Oklahoma y'all | Registered: 01 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I have an AR-10 built with a fast twist 24" barrel that I will shoot occasionally out to 1000 yards. It's a little heavy for hunting and it's no match for my bolt action match guns but it's fun to play with.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12705 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My first one was a re-barrelled 788 that started life as a .243. It killed WV whitetails like the Hammer of Thor. Any good 140gr bullet did the job.
I have since bought a Remington 700 which was grabbed by my oldest grandson. It accounted for his first deer over Thanksgiving.
People talk yea and nay about whether it will thrive. They said the same stuff about the 7-08. When I buy a new rifle, if I don't already have the components, I buy a set of dies and a couple hundred cases. So whether it thrives or not, is moot. It's alive and well at my house. Smiler

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lot of love! I and my kids have been shooting the 260 since 2008. It has taken muleys and whitetails from 100 to 250 pounds from 15 to 350 yards. 100 and 125 grain partitions, 120 grain TSX, 120 grain B-tips, and 130 grain Sierra Gamekings. It is easy to shoot, easy to make brass for if needed, easy on powder, very easy to get to shoot well with many different components, and effective on deer sized game as far as I can shoot. It is as perfect as the 270 Winchester for deer, but on a short action with less recoil. A 260 pushing a 125 Partition with Hodgen Super Performance is heaven on earth.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of adamhunter
posted Hide Post
I have one...well, it's actually my 12yr old son's. I have taken a couple w/t deer with it but he has used it, with astounding effect, on w/t deer, impala, duiker and even wildebeest...using plain, old Sierra GameKings. It was the first .264 caliber I owned and I was so impressed with it, that I bought a 6.5x55 Swede and love it.
As someone else said, it just seems to kill way beyond its size.

30+ years experience tells me that perfection hit at .264. Others are adequate but anything before or after is wishful thinking.

Posts: 854 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 20 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While in Scotland, I used Fallow Bucks' .260 Rem on two really nice Red Stags. It did the job very well on two big boys. Using 140 gr bullets.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of the .260, but I'll never buy one because I have been shooting a 6.5x55 since before the .260 was invented, so I never saw the point.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one in a 700 titanium that shoots really well putting 125 grain Partitions, 130 grain Barnes and 140 grain Partitions all to the same point of impact. What's not to love?

Posts: 206 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 13 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
My son named his Ruger 260 "Pancake" after, putting a 140 Nosler Partition into his first elk, a Big old cow, this year. Smiler

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fury01:
My son named his Ruger 260 "Pancake" after, putting a 140 Nosler Partition into his first elk, a Big old cow, this year. Smiler

Gotta love that! tu2

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[quote]I have a Ruger M77 MkII... James Yoder

I too also have the same rifle synthetic S.S. I have had for about 12 years or so, great white tail round, I also have a 7MM-08 rem. but I take my 260 most. mine really likes the 120 sierra sp 45.5 grains H4350 makes a nice .750 group at 100 yrds. yes it is a great round...

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
I built one for a friend in Tanzania on a Remington 700 action.

He absolutely loves it, and uses it on practically anything there bar buffalo.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68778 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 260 has a lot going for it: good selection of bullets, good ballistics, short action, etc. I think the biggest up side is the brass availability. I can't imagine ever having trouble coming up with brass. All of the 308-based rounds have this advantage. Personally I prefer the 708 because I already load a variety of other 7mm stuff, so I've got a good selection of bullets on hand.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find it interesting that "writers" will go to great lengths praising such 6.5s as the Creedmoor and Grendel and then ignore the 260. I suppose if a shooter is seeking every competitive edge, there is a slight advantage to the modified case shape, but for practical purposes, particularly if in a bolt rifle, I see very little difference between them and for the ease of case forming, the 260 is more available and cheaper.

Posts: 1421 | Location: WA St, USA | Registered: 28 August 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lost okie
posted Hide Post
I own one of the Rem. stainless mtn. rifles with the laminated stock. With 129 and 140 grain bullets it is great on OK whitetails.
I say own instead of shoot because my son has used it for the last bunch of years. Easy to load for; easy to shoot, and much better penetration than I would have figured before shooting one.
I think the Creedmore is just another thing to sell rifles for the usual guy. It will end up like the super short cartridges of a while back; brass being hard to find and results down range to be about the same as always.

Posts: 350 | Location: oklahoma | Registered: 01 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why wouldn't the 260 work well? As has been mentioned it's only doing the same thing, from a different case, that's been done for over 100 years with the old Swede with the 6.5X54 M/S not far behind. Ain't nuthin' new here.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 260 can't do anything that the 6.5 Creedmoor doesn't do just as well or better. The long sloping case, 17* shoulder angle and short neck are not good for today's modern high BC bullets. When you progress past shooting whitetails at 100 yds. the 6'5 Creedmoor is a much better cartridge.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ray B:
I find it interesting that "writers" will go to great lengths praising such 6.5s as the Creedmoor and Grendel and then ignore the 260. I suppose if a shooter is seeking every competitive edge, there is a slight advantage to the modified case shape, but for practical purposes, particularly if in a bolt rifle, I see very little difference between them and for the ease of case forming, the 260 is more available and cheaper.

Well that's because the Grendel & Creedmore's are newest kids on the block so they just must be the bestest thing ever!

I guess I can understand this from a target shooting standpoint but we're talking hunting rifles here. So if for no other reason the always available source of cheap brass easily sways it to the 260.

Now admittedly I'm a fan of the 6.5x55mm and haven't seen any good reason to change but if I did the .260 makes the most sense to me.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2813 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The 260 can't do anything that the 6.5 Creedmoor doesn't do just as well or better. The long sloping case, 17* shoulder angle and short neck are not good for today's modern high BC bullets. When you progress past shooting whitetails at 100 yds. the 6'5 Creedmoor is a much better cartridge.

really.. the .260 rem and 6.5 creedmoor are all but twins,. I have killed plenty deer 200+ yards and some at over 300 yards with 120's The creedmoor might have a slight edge, if any, but not by much. and yes the .260 can do everything the 6.5 creed can do, only thing it has is a fancy name.. if the 2 were laying on the table ready to buy, it would be a coins toss..

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 30* shoulder angle of the Creedmoor and the longer neck which allows proper position of the high BC bullets is a huge plus. But if all you want to do is take a deer at 299 yds. it doesn't matter very much.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.5 Creedmoor is the hottest toy on the block. Give it 3-8 years and something else will come along to displace it that will supposedly be better than anything to come before....which is so much hogwash.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
But if all you want to do is take a deer at 299 yds. it doesn't matter very much.

I have killed deer well over 300 yards, only because that is the longest shot I have on my place. I also have a close friend that shoots long range 1000 yards. on the average 6.5" groups, savage action with Shilen barrel with 140 burger.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with swampshooter. if you want to shoot WT deer to 349 yards the 260 is ok, but anything past that certainly requires the Creed. No ifs, ands, or buts.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quintus:
I agree with swampshooter. if you want to shoot WT deer to 349 yards the 260 is ok, but anything past that certainly requires the Creed. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Obviously, the smaller case capacity of the 6.5 Creed make it more deadlier.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12705 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
quote:
Originally posted by Quintus:

Obviously, the smaller case capacity of the 6.5 Creed make it more deadlier.

That is what always comes to my mind.

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, you guys are forgetting that the name "Creedmore" is so much more kewl. That ought to give you a couple 100 yards more of deadliness. It's kinda like writing "AI" on the side of your cartridge.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swampshooter:
The 30* shoulder angle of the Creedmoor and the longer neck which allows proper position of the high BC bullets is a huge plus. But if all you want to do is take a deer at 299 yds. it doesn't matter very much.

In other words perform like the average deer rifle. What's wrong with that? lol

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
if you want to shoot WT deer to 349 yards the 260 is ok, but anything past that certainly requires the Creed. No ifs, ands, or buts.

if both rounds are shooting .50" MOA groups at 100 yards, and both have about the same velocity with 140s at 2750 fps, why do you feel the creed is better past 350 yards..? if the deer is hit at 700 yards in the same place with the same 140 bullet, do you think he can tell the one that was shot out of the creedmoor.?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

if both rounds are shooting .50" MOA groups at 100 yards, and both have about the same velocity with 140s at 2750 fps, why do you feel the creed is better past 350 yards..? if the deer is hit at 700 yards in the same place with the same 140 bullet, do you think he can tell the one that was shot out of the creedmoor.?

Precisely. I've never had the conversation with any bullet to ask if it matters from what case it was propelled but I believe I know the answer.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
sharps4590

than why say any w/t shot past 350 needs a creedmore that is so false..

folks act like 6.5 creedmoor is some kind of super round..

one of us
posted Hide Post
We shoot 243, 260 and 7/08 at Chimney Hill all the time. This year the biologist says we are to shoot 140 w/t from this 8.5 section ranch.
Daughter shoots custom Sako 243 with 100 grn. Sierra Match Kings, son shoots Browning A Bolt Stainless Stalker in 260 Rem and green box 140 Rem. Cor Lokt. I shoot one of two 7/08's using Fed. 140 grn. soft points. After 10 years of shooting these and taking over 100 deer a year we can't tell the difference between the three. Not one deer has run off yet. The heart shot ones may run 50 yards but that is as far as any have gone so far. All calibers listed are a pleasure to shoot. Grandbabe Taylor Courtney shoots 7/08 and green box Rem. 140's.She is now 5 deer for 5 shots. Well...she shot her first buck with my take down John Wilkes 7x57 and 140's but then Santa brought her a Rem. Mod. 7 Carbine 7/08 with glass stock and Nikon 3x9...she is now 4 for 4 with it.
260's are a joy to shoot but heck...I like my 7/08 just as well. I hope they all live forever in the hands of hunters.
Merry Christmas to you all and Better Tomorrows!

You can borrow money but you can not borrow time. Go hunting with your family.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
vines, check the posts and correct yours. I didn't say that nor would I. That came from Quintus

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It was tongue in cheek Y'all! The creed and 260 are IDENTICAL! Kind of the point. The only difference is the 260 is easier to make brass from the 308 family of cases. Oddly enough, my daughter shot an adult mule deer from just under 360 yards with a 100 grain partition from the 260 Rem and made red the snow as the bullet blew out the other side. Another dirty little secret is the 260 is still winning 1000 yard matches sometimes beating the geometrically perfect, ballistically blessed creedmore. It is nice to have an option though I guess.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
List me in the .260 Rem lovers section.

I just posted in a 6.5 Creedmore thread but I'll summarize here.

I live where deer cannot be hunted with centerfires . . . until now!

Back in 1984 I read (and still have) an article in Handloader Magazine by Ken Waters where he necked the .243 Win up to 6.5mm (he used 0.263") and I thought that would be the perfect whitetail cartridge. As would the 6.5x55mm. Note that Ken Waters "standardized" all but the bore in 1956 (0.263" being more common for 6.5mm in the US then); so the 6.5-08 standardization issue of Remington vs. A-Square is moot. They tied for second place.

Well, I came up with a 22" bbl, 1:8" twist .260 Rem in a Savage M11 and that will be with me in the woods next fall. Lots of load development to do before then. The Hornady 143gr. ELD-X looks like a winner.

Posts: 66 | Location: Port Crane, NY | Registered: 11 February 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I DON'T recall EVER...killing ANYTHING...with a cartridge case...it is ALWAYS a bullet FROM that case that did the work.

I wonder WHEN folks will finally learn that.

I did my Creed in an AR 15 because that's what I wanted...I already HAVE a 260 swap barrel and I can add or subtract velocity by changing barrel lengths, mucking about with the powder charge OR changing bullet weights.

I can also take ANY other 6.5 case with equal or MORE case volume and reproduce the SAME VELOCITY as the Creed or the 260 and hit whatever I shoot at as far as I can see it, irregardless of the cases shoulder angle OR original case volume.

I reiterate...it's the BULLET that kills NOT A CARTRIDGE CASE...and if I loaded a Grendel, a Creed and a 260 to the SAME velocity with the SAME bullet it would have the SAME DROP, THE SAME TRAJECTORY AND THE SAME DROP/ENERGY AT ANY POINT ALONG THAT TRAJECTORY.

Coupled with the fact that BOTH the Creed and the 260 have the SAME case volume...53.50 gr H2O and a VERY MINOR difference in neck length and shoulder angle just makes for a ton wild statements that are NOT provable in any realistic sense.

Now if ANYONE wants to pay me my consulting fee I will certainly be available to compare both the 260 and the Creed in IDENTICAL barrel length rifles, using identical bullets, using the latest in benchrest preparations, fired at any number of range distances, with rifles and reloading components provided by YOU...to scientifically test ANY theory you like.!!!!! Big Grin Roll Eyes clap animal

Barring that...these arguments are mostly totally without merit...and have been argued for how long over how many other cartridges for HOW LONG. Roll Eyes animal killpc Eeker archer barf

I really cant see much difference in killing power between these two cartridges and the 6.5 x 55 Swede or 6.5 x 57 Mauser...now if you want to talk about whack, lets talk about the 6.5 x 284/06 or the 6.5 RM, 264 WM, or Weatherby versions or the new Fat body iterations and stop piddling around in the kiddy pool. shocker

I hope some good will come out of all these ruminations for some hunter at some point. Wink

Good Hunting tu2 beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agreed.

But I don't understand why people don't respect the .260 Rem for what it is - a fine short-action round in the bores between the .243 Win and the .308 Win.

I have owned both the .243 and the .308 and, for whitetail, I thought the .260 was the "Goldilocks" choice right between the two. With all the bullet development going on in the 6.5mm diameter it can only get better.

Posts: 66 | Location: Port Crane, NY | Registered: 11 February 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
QUOTE;;
a fine short-action round in the bores between the .243 Win and the .308 Win.

actually, its in the middle of the .243 win. and the 7mm-08 rem. just saying