New
Find
Notify
Tools

257 Acklwy varmint load
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a 257 Ackley and am thinking about trying 75 gr V Max for a varmint load.

If any one has any suggestions for a load it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Shep

Posts: 55 | Location: kalispell,mt | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I've had extremely good luck with IMR 4064 and the Hornady 75 grain in my .257 AI. Velocities were right there with the .22/250, but energy was up!

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shep,
I'm sure the VMax would serve you well. In my 257 AI, I shoot the 90 gr. Sierra HPBT at outrageous velocities, which I won't repeat, as my load is over max, even in a 25-06. But, I use IMR 4350, and this load is super accurate as well. This rifle is primarily used as my "pickup gun", for when I need to take out a yote, coon, or any other noxious critter on my property. I have, however, shot everything up to a nice 4 pt. mulie with it, and it is nothing short of a death ray! Bang/flop, this is it! It makes a super prairie goat load! That little 90 gr. pill, when I shot a real nice big doe antelope in eastern MT once, broke the near shoulder, went through and broke the off shoulder, but didn't exit. Bang/flop! I thought that was damn good performance, for my varmint gun! If you should decide to try other bullets as well as the VMax in your AI, the Sierra 90 gr. HPBT deserves a chance! Good luck! mudstud aka punkin' chucker

Posts: 273 | Location: Dakota | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mudstud:
Shep,<br /> I'm sure the VMax would serve you well. In my 257 AI, I shoot the 90 gr. Sierra HPBT at outrageous velocities, which I won't repeat, as my load is over max, even in a 25-06. But, I use IMR 4350, and this load is super accurate as well. This rifle is primarily used as my "pickup gun", for when I need to take out a yote, coon, or any other noxious critter on my property. I have, however, shot everything up to a nice 4 pt. mulie with it, and it is nothing short of a death ray! Bang/flop, this is it! It makes a super prairie goat load! That little 90 gr. pill, when I shot a real nice big doe antelope in eastern MT once, broke the near shoulder, went through and broke the off shoulder, but didn't exit. Bang/flop! I thought that was damn good performance, for my varmint gun! If you should decide to try other bullets as well as the VMax in your AI, the Sierra 90 gr. HPBT deserves a chance! Good luck! mudstud aka punkin' chucker

Mudstud,
That's excellent advice on that bullet, that bullet flat gets the job done, Sierra's 100gr. spitzer ain't too shabby either. I personally don't care if the bullet goes through both sides, when they drop on the spot.
Excellent cartridge choice, i've been Extremely happy with both of mine since the mid 70's.
Try some Norma MRP in yours, you'll be pleased with both accuracy and velocity, it's my powder of choice with 90gr or heavier bullets.
Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mudstud...
I like that comparison, death ray!

Could you give us some more details about your gun? Who did you have build it/chamber it?
Have any kind of accuracy data for it? What do you think the effective range (for deer sized game) with your 90 grain load is? Sounds like one hell of a performer.

I have two 257 Roberts and have always thought about getting one of them changed to a 257 Ackley.

Posts: 168 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sept 9 2003
A) 257 Roberts Ackley Improved VZ24, Lother Walthar barrel

The 75 gr. Vmax .257 bullets that I had moly coated.

1) 49.4 gr. of IMR4895 at 3.4" with Sinclair bullet comparitor gives
3942 fps and the extractor cut grows .0035"

2) 48.3 gr. gives 3757 fps and the extractor groove grows .0005"

3) 47.2 gr. gives 3736 fps and no extractor groove growth

4) 45 gr. gives 3674, 3621, 3630, 3614, and 3630 fps and a .9" group at
100m

5) 45 gr. with OAL 3.5" w/ Sinclair nut gives3674, 3621, 3630, 3614,
3630 fps and a .5" group at 100m.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote