Find
Notify
Tools

25 SAUM or WSM
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted
This is a cartridge I've been waiting to see come out since the two companies have introduced their short mag line ups. I just finished reading Jon Sundra's article in "Rifle Shooter" and he's giving the 25 cal wildcat of the Remington line up alot of good reviews.

He claims he's achieved 3,500fps with 100 gr. bullets out of a 24" barrel. Thats pretty darn close to the 257 Weatherby, which is claimed to be 3,600 out of a 26" barrel. With the trend being the same with all the short mags, its done with less powder and less barrel. Throw in the short action angle and it seems to be a real winner.

Since Winchester has just come out with their 325WSM, is it Remington's turn to introduce another shortie? Sundra claims he picked the smaller 7mm SAUM case because he felt it was better suited to the 25 cal. On top of that, the time is right to deliver another 25 cal. At this time, there is only 5 factory chamberings for 25 cal rifles and Winchester has just introduced one of them, the 25WSSM, just in this last year.

Bullet selection is starting to get better now for the 257. Scirrocco in 100gr., Accubond in 110gr., barnes XXX 100 & 110, XLC 100, A-Frame 100 & 120, etc... These bullets are made to hold together under the fastest velocities. I really don't think we have to worry about bullet selection anymore. Theres something for everyone and it opens the door to larger game being taken at farther ranges.

I hope Remington is listening. Has anyone heard any plans by the companies to try the 25? If it don't happen, this may be a wildcat I'll try out.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If I was running(or had been running) Remington in the past, it would already be there!!! The SAUM R&D was done and sitting on the shelf but they just had to get the ungodly, shoulder busting, kill on both ends RUM's out!!!!!! So they released them! And in the meantime, Winchester released the WSM's......SAUM's are relegated to the likes of the .244REM vs the .243WIN. Never catch up!! The .244 had it's barrel twist changed from 1-12 to 1-9.125 the next year and named the 6mmRem......probably superior but never caught up! The SAUM's have a more "wildcatter" friendly design than the WSM's and could be downright phenomenal in 6.5 or .257 configurations!!!! Winchester chose to go to .257 with the WSSM design.....what does it offer over the 25-06....NOTHING!!!!!!! The SAUM in .257 could be a super offering! The WSM in .257 could also be quite intriguing!! Give me the SAUM case design to play with!!! I can't beleive neither of the "biggies" has seen fit to bring out the .257 versions of their shorties! I guess I'll just have to build one!!! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A .25, or a 6.5 short mag is of great interest to me. I am surprised that they are not yet available as a factory chambering. If they do, I'll be forced to buy another rifle. I would like to hear more from the guys that have already wildcatted them, as to how they are working out. The super short offering is totally uninspiring to me.

Posts: 866 | Location: Western CO | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
From what I have read (Boddington?) Winchester gave the 25 WSM a test and did not like the results so went with the WSSM version - bad expansion ratio or something like that with the WSM case. Now the Remington SAUM case is smaller than the WSM and based on the Sundra article it is quite the balanced fit. My bet is Remington will offer this as a factory round - it would certainly out perform the 243 and 25 WSSM's and offer some true punch and a unique market position. By the way have you noticed that Nosler is bringing out a 110 gr Accubond in 25 cal? That will be the bullet of choice in my 25-284 when I get my hands on them. At 3300 fps or so in a 25 SAUM it would be a thumper.

Posts: 363 | Location: Madison Alabama | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Quote:

A .25, or a 6.5 short mag is of great interest to me. I am surprised that they are not yet available as a factory chambering.

Well Remmy is once again chambering the 6.5 Rem Mag. That does leave the 25 wide open.

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only problem I can see with the .25 caliber in short magnum cases is that Winchester won't shoot themselves in the foot by introducing a round which outdoes the current .25WSSM, and possibly affecting sales. And Remington has gotten hammered pretty hard by the quick adoption and superior performance of the WSM's, I don't know how much R&D they're investing into the SAUM lineup anymore, I think they are already falling to the wayside. I would like to see a 6.5WSM, right after they develop a .358WSM for me!

Posts: 169 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere that Winchester has already stated that there will be no 25WSM because of pressure problems with the round. I know my hunting pal has been waiting with baited breath for one, and keeps up on all the announcements, and a few months ago, gave up and bought a 25WSSM. He's a HUGE 25 cal fan and 25/06 fan, and for him to forgo the 25WSM must mean it's not going to happen.

posted Hide Post
Well I own a much maligned 25 WSSM. It does what it is supposed to do in the package it was designed for., a Featherweight. It is no a 257 Weather. nor a long barreled 25-06. It is short, handy, shoots 85's at about 3350, 100's at 3150, 120's at 2925, and 75's at 3600, all chrono'd from a 22 inch barrel. I know it is not an speed demon but it is useful and it shure shoots well and is light.
After much chrono work and talk with Hodgdon about mine, the 25 WSM would be great just a little harder on barrels. But nothing is free. Heck I would not mind having the upgrade myself!
FWIW
Greg H

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
Well why not. Its not like the 257 Weatherby hasn't survived and its harder on barrels than the WSM or SAUM will ever be.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I also read the article, I want one too.

recoil about 16 ft lbs by my estimate, about 75% of 30-06

seems like the ultimate beenfield deer cartridge. Should knock deer over pretty good without the huge recoil. triple shocks are made in .257 too.

I always thought the .25 saum would be pretty good. I figured the 25 wssm would flop since it doesn't improve on the 25-06. There aren't as many choices of cartridge in that caliber as far as magnum cases.

Posts: 145 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not warmed up to the short mags, especially the Win Super Short Mags. What a dumb ass Idea in my book.

However, I have not thought about a 25 Caliber built on a Rem SAUM. That idea actually is sort of intreging! The velocity potential with medium burn rate powders, or even slow powders with a varmint weight bullet, might be quite a prarie dog/ground squirrel rig.

Thanks for who ever came up with this idea, as I am going to look into it, as I am getting a rifle rebarreled right now.
Cheers and Happy New year
seafire

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A 25 Saum is quite interesting. With the current flood of cheap (under $500.) Remmy 700's being listed on Gunbroker, the time seems ripe to buy a donor action.

Who is chambering for the round?

Thanks,

Bob

Posts: 439 | Location: Goldsboro, NC 27530 | Registered: 25 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I called RCBS yesterday and spoke to the their customer service people to see if they had any requests for a 25 caliber on the SAUM case and they said they had not.

Funny though, they asked me if I knew If anyone else was making it?! Guess they are more motivated by a competitor getting the jump on them with something they don't make.

I am looking to pursue it, but as a varmint cartridge on a Ruger 77 Mk 2 VT action and stock.

Cheers and Happy Holidays
seafire

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This months edition of Precision Shooting has an article on the 7mm SAUM and why the author chose it over the WSM for a 1000yd rifle. The shorter body was found to be a better (more efficient) match and the neck length was also given accolades. The performance was impressive.

I would think that any serious shooter having something rebarreled may wish to take a good hard look at the SAUM case.

Difficulty is inevitable
Misery is optional

Posts: 1496 | Location: behind the crosshairs | Registered: 01 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am in the process of building a 6.5 SAUM on a Remington short action. It will be a 26" Jeff Lawrence cut rifled barrel. I considered the 25 and decided to go with the 6.5 for the ability to use higher BC bullets and create a nice long range rig.I will need to modify the magazine a bit to handle the long 142gr SMK's but they should be nice shooters out of that cartridge. Redding already produces dies for either the 6.5 or 25 SAUM as well.

As for SAUM longevity, I found it interesting that Remington is now chambering for the WSM's in 2005 and the only rifles still sporting the SAUM's are the Model 7 and the titanium. Check out their site and you will see the SAUM is conspicuously absent.

I need to make sure I have plenty of 7mm SAUM brass to neck down for my 6.5 moving forward

Posts: 53 | Location: Centennial, CO | Registered: 19 August 2004Reply With Quote