Notify
Tools

6mm Remington
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Faina
posted
Hi guys,
next year I would like to buy a new rifle chambered in 6mm Remington. I prefer this to the 243 Win, but I can find only the Rem 700 varmint rifle and can't find any other.
I wonder why think this is a very nice caliber for small-medium game like Roedeer and Chamios.
Do you know who produce rifle in this caliber???
Faina

I prefer to die standing that to live in knee

Posts: 181 | Location: Italy ... in the mountains | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are a little spendy , but cooper makes them. From time to time ruger builds them too.
I also would like to have a 6mm.
But in all honesty, it a small improvment on the .243.
the reason the .243 is so much more popular is that back in the 1950s when both cartridges were introduced , winchester invisioned the .243 as a dual purpose deer and varimint rig and gave there barrels a fast twist to stabelize heavy bullets,
Reminton on the other hand , called there new round the .244 rem , and thought of it as a varmint round , so the used a slower twist that would not stabelize the 100 grain bullets very well.
They latter reintrouduced the cartridge as the 6mm with fast twist barrels , but it was too late. and sales never even came clse to catching up. If you reload, you could rechamber most .243s to a 6mm AI.
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thomas is right. The 6mm Remington does stand out over the .243, might have won the battle too, if not for the false starts that Remington gave it with the barrel twist, then sad marketing. My wife used a Remington M660 for about 10 years with nary a complaint. You might do a scan thru the assorted websites for a 6mm M700, or a Steyr, plus Remington made a lot of 6mm M742s, although that gun does not have a tack driving reputation. Saw a M742 in a local gun shop priced reasonably.
LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 6mm is a fine cartrige. Very accurate .I traded a whole bunch of stuff for a little winchester mod. 70 fether lite in 6mm for my daughter. She has harvested several deer with it. Handloading is required for best accuracy.
Good luck
wayles

Posts: 57 | Location: western nebraska | Registered: 04 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My wife uses a Rem 600 with a 4X mini-Burris. Fantastic little rig that reaches 243 rifle ballistics out of an 18.5" barrell.

Like the 100 Nosler Partitions or 115 Barnes for caribou to 200 yards or so.

Posts: 111 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 13 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Having used both for years and I still own a 6MM the big bonus with the 243 is easy brass availability, free pick up range brass. Plus I haven't been able to see any difference on game between the two. Actually I would rather build a 6MM on a long action, and not mess up it's advantages over the 243 with short action issues. This said I like the way the 6MM feeds so slickly thru M98 Mauser actions.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 6mm rem exists IMHO to enable a mauser action to feed a factory 6mm round. I have one and it is absolutely fantastic.

I also have a couple of 243s and would be the first to admit that they do the same job. I love them too.

The 6mm is a bit more flexible with 100 and 105gr but the difference is quite small.

Unless you can go custom you will have to wait for a second hand rifle (rare) or go 243.

One of Us
Picture of Faina
posted Hide Post
Here in Italy it's impossible to find a second-hand rifle in 6mm Rem. Probably the only realistic solution in to buy a custom gun.
Thanks
Faina

Posts: 181 | Location: Italy ... in the mountains | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Faina,
You might consider buying a used .243 and rechambering to 6mm AI. Dies are a little spendy but you should gain another 100 or 150 FPS.
But I bet a decnet 98 action is prety easy to come buy in a europian country, (of corse i don,t know the gun laws of italy) I would not care to much about action length the bullets for the 6mms are not very long anyway.
It might compromise your case capacity a we bit with the very longest bullets, but you would still have more space then a .243...tj3006
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of Faina
posted Hide Post
Thomas, this is a great idea!!!
Is't possible?? I don't mean for any law restrictions, but physically....
Off course to find a 243 Win in good condition is much easier...
Thanks
Faina

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an old rem 700 in 6mm, with factory federals 100gr cheap stuff groups are 3/8 in center - center and it always cronographs full advertised velocity,
the 243's ive cronographed are usually about 300fps slower, ive had a cronograph for over 20 yrs and a lot of calibers dont come near advertised velocity with factory loads.
i think there are a lot of reasons to go with the 6mm ovr the 243, so what if the 243 is more popular for reasons 50 yrs old the 6mm is a good cartridge

If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tuff.

Posts: 393 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 01 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Faina
posted Hide Post
Hi anukpuk,
I agree with, but I could not understand why Remington don't produce a hunting rifle, like 700 BDL or CDL, in this nice caliber.
This is the misteries of managment.
Faina

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm a nice 9twist custom 26" sporter barrel on a rem 700 SA with Wyatt magazine, Williams floor plate in a McMillan mountain stock with a Jewell.

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
There are way too few manufacturers making rifles in 6mm Remington (6X57mm). An alternative you might consider would be a Ruger Ultra-light in .257 Roberts. The Roberts has been a very successful cartridge for Roe deer for at leat the last 50 years!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Faina:
Hi anukpuk,
I agree with, but I could not understand why Remington don't produce a hunting rifle, like 700 BDL or CDL, in this nice caliber.
This is the misteries of managment.
Faina

Several outfits used to make hunting weight rifles in 6mm Rem., and of course, that included Remington. When this cartridge first came out, it was called the ".244 Remington", and the rifles were made for it with a 1/12" twist. These were generally good for bullets up to 90 grains. But the .243 Win. was rifled 1/10", and could use 100-grain bullets.

Winchester took advantage of this difference by claiming that the Remington cartridge was not adequate for deer hunting because it wouldn't shoot 100-grain bullets!

This was NOT TRUE of course, but the lie worked-people wouldn't buy the Remington rifles! So eventually, Remington renamed the cartridge to "6mm Remington" and changed the rifling twist to 1/9". Now it WOULD shoot 100-grain bullets! But it was too late! Everyone wanted a .243 Win., and not a 6mm Remington!

That's why there aren't enough rifls being made in 6mm Rem. today! The 6mm Remington is actually a better cartridge than the .243 Winchester. It can be loaded up to at least 100 FPS faster than the Winchester round with the SAME bullets, and has a longer neck.

I'd like to see the Ruger Ultra-Lite and the No. 1A both chambered for this cartridge!

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Faina:
Thomas, this is a great idea!!!
Is't possible?? I don't mean for any law restrictions, but physically....
Off course to find a 243 Win in good condition is much easier...
Thanks
Faina

It would certainly be easy to make a 6mm Remington on any action designed for the German 8X57mm family of cartridges. As a matter of fact, around 1900, there was a cartridge called the "6X57mm Mauser", which was/is nothing more than a 57mm Mauser case necked to hold 6mm bullets. (The ".244 Halger Magnum" of the 1930's was just one of these OVERLOADED to unsafe pressures!)

One of Us
Picture of Faina
posted Hide Post
El Deguello, that's right, but here in Italy find a rifle chabbered in 257 Roberts is easy like find one in 6mm Remington. In fact 257 Roberts is also very nice.
To make a 6mm Rem from a 8x57 or other Mauser caliber rifles I need to change the barrel, if I start from a 243 Win I need only to remake the chamber. It's easier and cheaper.
Next weeks I'll contact to Remington import dealer to know the price and if it's possible to buy a 700 CDL from Remington custom shop in 6mm.
We'll sea....
Faina

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Faina,

I have a couple of 6mm Remingtons.

I can pass on a couple of pointers or recommendations..

First, if you can have one built on a Mauser action, that is great, or else on a Long Action on other manufactured actions..

When bullets can be seated further out than on a short action, this becomes a totally different cartridge.. performance levels on a short action, are no better than a 243.. if you have a short action, a 243 AI is a better choice...

on a long action or Mauser action, where bullets can be seated out to magazine length...the performance them steps into 240 Weatherby or 6mm/06 levels..because the bullet is not being seated deeply into the powder space...

The second recommendation is to specify a one in 8 twist, as opposed to the standard one in 9 or one in 10 twists...

The one in 8 twist, will allow one to take advantage on any 6mm bullet on the market, particularly the likes of the 105 grain Bergers and the 115 grain Bergers... which can turn a 6mm into an accurate and very long range performer...

One of my 6mm Rem's is a Bench style rifle.. the other is on a Model 700 long action, with a 24 inch barrel in a Heavy Magnum contour...

Bullets are seated to an 80mm OAL, ( 115 grain Bergers) and with a charge of 46 grains of RL 19 ( made in Sweden, don't know the Norma numbers for it)... it gives me an MV of 3250 fps...400 plus fps as one can get out of a 243 in a short action...

and its accuracy is phenominal!

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No doubt about it the 6mm has some over the .243,but it's not earth shattering. I do suspect if Rem had came out with the right twist in 1955 when the .244 Rem( later renamed 6mm Rem)and the .243 came out,the .243 would not have gained as much popularity over the 6mm. Both are good and I dont think a deer sized animal will know the difference.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned a number of both 6MM and 243 rifles.
The 6MM will use a good bit more powder before expanding primer pockets.
Factory ammo in recent years has been backed down for the .243 especially for the 100 grain bullets.
The story I read was older rifles with roughed up throats could develop high pressure with the long skinny 100 grain bullet.
I have bought a lot of once fired 6MM and .243 brass from indoor ranges for both cartridges.
The 6MM (and .25/06) leads the list for blown primers found in once fired factory cases.
The only other once fired factory brass I have found blown primers in was the ...7X57.

The 6MM feeds much smoother in both push feed and CRF actions. I have had .243s hang up on ejection with pushfeed actions, due to the large shoulder dia wedging into the right lug slot.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Faina.
I just wanted to make sure that you know you can't rechamber a .243 To a standard 6mm Rem.
You would have to AI. And I still would not wory about action length. The Reminton action is a we bit short but ther ruger or mauser action is perfect.
I have a ruger .257 roberts. Its a great rifle, but the way its throated, any load I can fit im my long action chamber fits just fine in 2 or 3 ruger short action rifles I put them in...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seafire-

I'm wondering if there are barrel life issues with the 6mm at high velocities?

Do you know if it will feed in a Mauser action?

What about brass?

TIA,

flaco

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about barrel life issues yet but the 6mm is the same basic case as the 8mm mauser so they feed great in a mauser action.

Rad

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 344 | Location: Bean Town in the worthless nut state | Registered: 23 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been reloading for 6mm Rem since I bought my first one (a M-700 ADL) in 1967. I have fired more than 2000 rounds through it, mostly light bullet high velocity reloads.

It no longer groups to suit me, so I decided to rebarrel it. I am going to try a take off .243 barrel rechambered to 6mm Ackley (for the same reasons previously mentioned in this thread). I plan to reload using regular 6mm Rem Lee collet dies. I have tried this with my 223 Ackley and it works very well.

As to the difference in popularity between 6mm/244 and 243, I read somewhere that the popularity of the "sleek" M-70 Winchester in 243 vs. the "ugly" Remington M-722 in 244 had a lot to do with it originally and the Remington never caught up.

Several years ago I bought a well used M-722 in 244 Rem with a 26" barrel and found it shoots exceptionally well with light bullets.

Posts: 154 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flaco:
Seafire-

I'm wondering if there are barrel life issues with the 6mm at high velocities?

Do you know if it will feed in a Mauser action?

What about brass?

TIA,

Actually the 6mm Rem has a reputation of having longer barrel life than the 243.. and the 243 AI has a reputation of having a longer barrel life than a regular 243....

As to you, a professional needs to be consulted on that, but it has evidently to do with shoulder design and possibly the neck...

a 6mm Rem will feed just fine in a Mauser as it is designed off the same 57 mm case, like the 7 x 57 and 8 x 57... essentially in European ways of labeling cartridges it would be a 6 x 57.

Brass in the USA is readily available.. I use Winchester mainly...

however, any 57 mm brass can be necked down to it, or any 30/06 based cartridge can be trimmed to length and necked down to it , if brass is not readily available as within the USA....

As a hunting rifle ,it should give a long service life..

as a varminting rifle, for high volume shooting like prairie dogs, it would not be my first choice...

flaco

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This sounds dangerously close to that phone call to David Kiff.

I work in a target rifle shop, so my boss scoffs at Mausers. Although we do have a few Parker Hale style .308s. Some even single shot, I believe.

Still, the 6mm Remington AI plays to the strength of the Mauser action: it feeds.

My preference would be to get Hornady or Forster dies, and have them honed by the factory. No such luck.

Graf's does have Redding 6mm Remington AI dies. Redding makes good dies. Would it be possible to use some other--.243, for instance--neck sizer?

Am I correct in thinking that one of the benefits of the AI case is that less brass migrates to the neck in sizing?

Thanks, Seafire. I have a couple of Masuer actions--isn't this always dangerous, considering that they sing a siren's song, whispering seductively for a barrel and stock?--but I doubt I'd make a hunting rifle.

The trued, drilled and tapped, and heat treated 1909 would be perfect, but I'm not certain I'm looking for a new hunting rifle.

I would, however, like something to shoot in the 600 yard range, and perhaps my Vz24 would be appropriate.

I'd probably use a Richard's laminate stock, and completely float the barrel. And a 30" tube should allow very good velocities without burning out the throat.

I love slow burning powders.

flaco

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last year I built a plain 6mm on a nice Yugo 48 action, 26" 1 in 10 barrel. It shoots Berger 68 grainers very well. Killed a lot of sage rats with it and hope to nail some more this season.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My honest advice if you really want a 6mm Rem chambered rifle is to build one.

Remington and Ruger have both made rifles in that chambering but both inexplicably chamber the round in a 308length "short" action.

In a standard length Mauser action or "long" action the cartridge
really does outperform the 243Win.

Frankly I'd build one on a Long action Rem 700 but that's my personal preference speaking....

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of squeeze
posted Hide Post
The advise to build one, is the path I took.
I had a Savage Model 16, in 22-250, that wasn't
tripping my trigger. It shot decent, but I
just wasn't excited about the cartridge. So
I had E.R. Shaw make me a 6mm Rem. barrel, in
1:10 twist, in a heavy magnum contour, so I
split the difference of a sporter barrel, and a
heavy varmint barrel. Seafire did advise me to
go with a long action, but the Savage action,
albeit called a "short action", is plenty long
to seat bullets out to the lands. Since Savage
has that wonderful barrel nut, I installed the
barrel myself, and head spaced it with a full
length sized case, from my Redding dies. I
am a very happy 6mm Rem. shooter, now. The E.R.
Shaw barrel surpasses my expectations, for
accuracy, and cleans up with just a few patches.
Copper fowling is minimal. One way to get a
good shooting 6mm Rem. on a budget.

Squeeze

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759

Posts: 201 | Location: Wis | Registered: 05 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by squeeze:
The E.R.
Shaw barrel surpasses my expectations, for
accuracy, and cleans up with just a few patches.
Copper fowling is minimal. One way to get a
good shooting 6mm Rem. on a budget.

Squeeze

Way to go Squeeze. thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Jones:
Faina.
I just wanted to make sure that you know you can't rechamber a .243 To a standard 6mm Rem.
You would have to AI.
And I still would not wory about action length. The Reminton action is a we bit short but ther ruger or mauser action is perfect.
I have a ruger .257 roberts. Its a great rifle, but the way its throated, any load I can fit im my long action chamber fits just fine in 2 or 3 ruger short action rifles I put them in...tj3006
Isn't the body taper of the .243/.308 1 or 2 degrees less than the 6mm?
(Making it a fatter case)
I remember this same thread several years ago when DigitalDan was around. I believe he was the first to point this out back then but I could not find it.

---Mike

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 6mm Rem standard case has more taper than the 243. To recamber a 243 barrel to a standard 6mm Rem would require the barrel to be set back about 1". The 6mm AI has less taper than a 243. No set back is required to rechamber from 243 to 6mm AI.

Posts: 154 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Faina - OK I've succumbed to my temptation to make you jealous. My 6mm rem is a custom take down based on an 09 Argentine with a fiendishly expensive piece of walnut hewn in a classic style with custom bases and Warne premier rings holding a steel Swaro 6x42PF.

The wood density gives a sporter style rifle a 9.5lb weight. 45.5gr of N160 under a 90gr BT yields 3,250fps and repeatable 0.75MOA taking down between shots. Trigger breaks at 1.8lb

http://www.hunt101.com/watermark.php?file=500/217521894_fallow_stag-med.jpg

Initialy bought for roe it has proved devastating on fallow. I have no doubt that with a good 100gr bullet it would fell the largest UK deer. If I ever fly to Scotland it's coming with me in a small case.

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I ever fly to Scotland it's coming with me in a small case

Fly to Scotland??

heck, most people in the States driver further to deer hunt, than it would take to drive to Scotland from any point, anywhere in England....

1894, you blokes are getting spoiled over there!

John Quincy Adams

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not with petrol at $9 they wouldn't!

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1894mk2:

you boys are paying $9.00 a gallon over there now??? is that an imperial gallon or the American 4 qt gallon?

And we think at $3.00 plus a gallon, the oil companies are raping the Public!!!!

These folks are not going to rest until they have the entire world living in mud huts once again, like present day Africa.. our 12th century Europe....because that is all anyone can afford to live...

John Quincy Adams

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire2:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 1894mk2:

you boys are paying $9.00 a gallon over there now??? And we think at $3.00 plus a gallon, the oil companies are raping the Public!!!!

These folks are not going to rest until they have the entire world living in mud huts once again, like present day Africa.. our 12th century Europe....QUOTE]

ConfusedAnd who are these folks, John? shockerroger pissersa bush

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
quote:
Originally posted by seafire2:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 1894mk2:

you boys are paying $9.00 a gallon over there now??? And we think at $3.00 plus a gallon, the oil companies are raping the Public!!!!

These folks are not going to rest until they have the entire world living in mud huts once again, like present day Africa.. our 12th century Europe....QUOTE]

ConfusedAnd who are these folks, John? shockerroger pissersa bush

The FEDS, and all of these lobbyist paid politicans in BOTH parties...

John Quincy Adams

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire2:you boys are paying $9.00 a gallon over there now??? is that an imperial gallon or the American 4 qt gallon?

And we think at $3.00 plus a gallon, the oil companies are raping the Public!!!!

These folks are not going to rest until they have the entire world living in mud huts once again, like present day Africa.. our 12th century Europe....because that is all anyone can afford to live...

the Oil companies have NOTHING to do with $9/gal gasoline prices.

"oil" is the same price EVERYWHERE in the world.

The reason he is paying $9/gallon for petrol in the UK is because his GOVERNMENT is RAPING everyone for an additional $6 worth of taxes on each gallon.

OTHERWISE he'd be paying the same $3.18 that the station down the road charges me.

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
the Oil companies have NOTHING to do with $9/gal gasoline prices.

"oil" is the same price EVERYWHERE in the world.

The reason he is paying $9/gallon for petrol in the UK is because his GOVERNMENT is RAPING everyone for an additional $6 worth of taxes on each gallon.

OTHERWISE he'd be paying the same $3.18 that the station down the road charges me.

Oil company employee, huh?

That's okay... unless you are one of those execs that are making about $500 million a year or more in salary and compensation... then the Feds give you a 100 % tax break on it....

John Quincy Adams