New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning BLR's???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hey all. Fiancee doesn't like the sporterized 03 I got for her in 06 with a muzzle break. I have been forced to take it for myself.

She decided she likes lever actions. I like the idea of the BLR's with a detachable magazine (easier to unload and verify it is empty). My questions are:

anybody know where I can find one in 257 roberts? (they don't make them anymore)

other than that, between .243 and .308, what kind of difference will there be in recoil and price of ammunition?

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In terms of recoil, the .308 will definitely kick harder than the .243--that's the consequence of the heavier bullets. Whether it bothers her or not depends on her recoil tolerance--it won't be really nasty, but she'll feel it. The BLR in .243 is a sweet deer gun, and if she's recoil sensitive that would be a fine choice.

There are all sorts of cheap/surplus .308 rounds available for practice, so that's a plus.

The BLR has been chambered in a variety of relatively rare rounds. A buddy of mine has one in .358 Win, but I don't think I've ever seen a BLR in .257 Roberts--if they exist, there aren't a lot of them.

Posts: 162 | Location: Miami, FL | Registered: 15 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They have quit the Lightning and gone back to the straight grip, but with the aluminum action. While they don't list the 257, they do show the 7-08. That is the only one between 243 and 308. Have witnessed too many failures on game with the 243 to recommend it. 7-08 with 120-130gr bullets should do fine for a lady. Other than that, you have to haunt the web auctions and Gun List with a lot of hope. Rebarrelling a 22/250 to 250 Savage or a 243 to 257 would put you in deeper than a not too cheap original. Best of luck.

Posts: 231 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Red,
To further confuse your choice try to take a look at the Winchester 88. It also comes in .308 and .243 but does not have the hammer like the BLR. The safety is on the triger guard. It is also uses a clip. The 88's are no longer in production but you can find "used" models from around $450 on up. 88's are fairly collectable. GunsAmerica.com, GunBroker.com or Auctionarm.com. usually have a few. Check these sites for your BLR in .257 also. Good luck with your choice.....

Posts: 258 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mines a 7-08
It definatley has lower felt recoil the my M-700 ADL .270 did.
I wanted a lever gun too for quicker follow ups so far so good. . .

Posts: 140 | Location: Saskatoon | Registered: 21 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I second Blackhawk's recommendation. 7/08 would be better than a 243 for extra margin of terminal power, with not a lot more recoil.

I think a 7/08 also seems to have a lot less recoil than a 308, at least all the ones I have shot.

I checked out the BLR for a niece that her dad was looking for something for. I was really impressed with it.

Too bad a 257 is not around in them and more available. That is an excellent round in a nice balanced package in a BLR!
[Razz] [Roll Eyes] [Cool]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
There are quite a few of those in these parts. The alloy frames are not that popular, try to find one of the older with steel frame in .243.

Posts: 17 | Location: SJ, NB, Canada | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You know what I took a good look at this weekend at the show that I liked? It was the Savage 99, I'm thinking 250-3000. I don't really care a lot for the looks of it, but I like the way it loads and the one I picked up was fairly light. I see they make them in takedown so am looking to see if I can get a good deal on one.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you can't find a BLR the 99 would'nt be to bad, especially in 250. Its a great caliber and gets better if you handload. Seems to be more reliable than any 243.

Posts: 231 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 19 June 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Between the .243 and the .308, there's the 7mm/08. less recoil that the .308, and very adequate for deer of any size... [Big Grin]

One of Us
Picture of NitroX
posted Hide Post
Shooting my .308 BLR I don't really notice the recoil at all.

The rifle is the older model with a straight stock. A very nice light rifle. A much nicer rifle in terms of finish than the later model. I had both to compare as the dealer had one left of the older model.

BTW accurate and fast shooting too, open sights or scoped.

Posts: 10138 | Location: Wine Country, Barossa Valley, Australia | Registered: 06 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great lever, trigger can be helped by those that know how. A 7mm-08 would be sweet in a BLR, which is, in my opinion, the only modern day lever being produced. The rest are nostalgic, and I love them, but the BLR is big time, locks up as solid, or more solid than a bolt action. If the BLR is what you want, then you will get an awesome lever rifle, that's what the BLR is.

Posts: 492 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Aggiedog - Out of curiousity, what kind of improvements to a BLR's trigger are you referring too? Anything a typical owner can do himself? The trigger is the only weak point with my BLRs. I totally agree with your comments - and I believe that the 7mm-08 would be a great choice for Dago Red's fiance

Posts: 226 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are interested, I have a used 308 BLR barrel, has some marks on the barrel from removal, but in bore is perfect. REplaced with a 358 barrel.

if interested, contact me.

graycg

Posts: 692 | Location: Fairfax County Virginia | Registered: 07 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pagris, I had a 7mm Rem Mag BLR that I took to my gunsmith and he worked on the creep. You still had a slight "spot" if you will, but it was light years better than out of the factory. The trigger pull is usually around 6-7 Lbs on a BLR out of the factory, and I had mine turned down to 3.5 Lbs. I didnt do the work, so I cant tell you exactly what he did, but I think it had to do with the camber on it. The BLR trigger will never be perfect, but after mine was worked on, it was pretty good. I had a muzzle break put on it that I regretted, and eventually sold it to get a left handed bolt, but I loved the rifle overall. I re loaded for it, and it would shoot maximum loads, but I elected to back off about 1 grain in my loads from max just for GP. Now I wish I hadnt sold the rifle. I am of the opinion the BLR is very "under rated". If you love the looks of a lever, but want to shoot modern type cartridges, the BLR is a great rifle, handles well, has nice lines, and I am one of those that always thought Browning made good rifles. The straight stock looks great on the latest ones they are making.

Posts: 492 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote