New
Find
Notify
Tools

257 Weatherby Mag
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'll be shooting a Barnes 100 TSX. What powder should I use?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Imr-7828 and RL-22 in mine. Preference goes to the 7828 at 72gr.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The go to load in my 257 weatherby accumark is 100 gr. nosler partition over 73 gr. IMR 7828, federal 215m primers for +/- 3,650 fps.
gwb

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I go with 72 gr of RL-22, Fed Mag Match primer, Weatherby cases and the 100 gr TSX. Just today, I shot a half-inch group checking my sights for a trip to New Mexico on Thursday.

68 gr works well with the 115 gr TSX.

Posts: 284 | Location: Orange, CA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I run these loads through "QickLoad" it says they are way to hot. It shows 72400 P.S.I.
It says the max should be 63817 P.S.I.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 70.5 grains of 7828 behind 100 grain ballistic tips.
My gun is a custom, with no free bore.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the 72 gr RL22 load with the 100 TSX, it has worked great in mine and a bunch of other guys rifles as well. They also run 3670 fps in mine, and will go in one hole on a good day.

Hyglass

I don't have a lot of faith in QuickLoad, have seen some real wild stuff come out of it. Mine go 65000 psi on the pressure trace in my rifle. They are a hot load, but I see no reason to load down a .257 WBY or a .220 Swift. Speed is what they are.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My 257WBy is a Tobler barreled M700 with Jewell trigger and a HS-Precision stock........it prefers the 115TSX and 69.5 grains Re-25, with 215M primers.

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 72gr of RL-22 powder and 100-grain TSX bullets in my 257 ROY.

Posts: 409 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Moose-Hunter
What is the O.A.L. of your fully loaded cartridge?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
72gr Re25 behind a 117 Sierra Gameking for 3500fps.

life member NRA (Endowment)
member Arizona Big Horn Sheep Society
member Arizona Antelope Foundation
member Arizona Wildlife Foundation

Posts: 146 | Location: Oracle, Az. | Registered: 01 October 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
73 gr. of RL-25 with 110 gr. Accubonds in my .257 Roy Christian Arms.

one of us
posted Hide Post
hglass

I load mine to the factory standard length, 3.250. It shoots so well, I see no reason to change. As far as powder it looks like use RL22 with 100's, RL25 with 115-117-120's.

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use RL25 in my 257 for max velocity.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not to be contrary but instead of polling everyone for the working loads in "their rifles" that they worked up to slowly and developed for a particular rifle and then loading them for yours, wouldn't it possibly be more prudent to start low with a rounds known preferred powders and bullets and work slowly up to the one "his" rifle liked the best? No criticism intended but that's the way it says to do it in all the reloading manuals. On top of that, lot to lot variances in powders can make a starting load in one rifle be over the top in another using a different lot of the same type powder. As can temperature, tighter chambers, less free-bore etc. etc.
Just an idea developed after seeing how all rifles seem to have their own personal preferences for favorite loads anyway over the course of 36 or so years of reloading extensively. I'm sure I'm preaching to the converted here cause I'm sure that's how you all do it with out anyone even mentioning it.
That is particularly important to me though in this case though because most of the high intensity magnum type loads I've developed over the years including a couple .257's seem to mostly find their sweet spot up close to the edge. That's ok cause performance is what I'm after in rounds of this nature but it's sure no place to over charge one.
Just a caution, no offense intended.
I've had my best luck in the .257 with IMR 4831 and 4350 as well as RL22 for powders and 100 grain Partitions for bullets using Federal 215 Mag primers.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You always have to take any internet advice with a grain or two of salt.

I know my own 257 Weatherby takes only 70 grains of Reloader 22 to hit 3600+ fps. 72 grains puts it at over 3700fps and gives me ejector marks. (Other components are 100 TSX/reformed Winchester brass and Fed Large mag primers.)

While it's nice to know what everyone else is using, there are no shortcuts.

"There always seems to be a big market for making the clear, complex."

Posts: 1372 | Location: USA | Registered: 18 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by montdoug:
Not to be contrary but instead of polling everyone for the working loads in "their rifles" that they worked up to slowly and developed for a particular rifle and then loading them for yours, wouldn't it possibly be more prudent to start low with a rounds known preferred powders and bullets and work slowly up to the one "his" rifle liked the best? No criticism intended but that's the way it says to do it in all the reloading manuals. On top of that, lot to lot variances in powders can make a starting load in one rifle be over the top in another using a different lot of the same type powder. As can temperature, tighter chambers, less free-bore etc. etc.
Just an idea developed after seeing how all rifles seem to have their own personal preferences for favorite loads anyway over the course of 36 or so years of reloading extensively. I'm sure I'm preaching to the converted here cause I'm sure that's how you all do it with out anyone even mentioning it.

Well, seeing as he asked "What powder I should use?" instead "What is a good load for...?" He is right on the money with his question. If 15 people answer and 10 of them say they get the best accuracy with "X" powder, then it makes sense to start with that powder and work up loads.

one of us
posted Hide Post
He is right on the money with his question. If 15 people answer and 10 of them say they get the best accuracy with "X" powder, then it makes sense to start with that powder and work up loads.
quote:
Ammo Troop

Your right. I was looking at responses, not the original question. My mistake, sorry. Old fartness setting in.
Like I said I knew on this site I was preaching to the converted and everyone does just that. "start low with a rounds known preferred powders and bullets and work slowly up to the one "his" rifle likes."
Just a caution not a correction. Your very correct and I see that now, thanks.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good deal. We all do that some times. Luckily, i usully catch my mistakes before anyone else, LOL.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
this is great my 2-five-7 thanks you all !! popcorn

Posts: 52 | Location: TEXAS yall' | Registered: 07 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Down south
posted Hide Post
I use IMR 7828 and Fed Mag Match primers with great results.

Posts: 64 | Location: Texas | Registered: 09 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use RL25 for my loads except the 87gr bullet I use RL22 for them

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Used the 100 TSX and RL22 this morning, 275 yards running near straight away from me.

One of Us
Picture of Down south
posted Hide Post
That's a darn nice 8-Point.

Posts: 64 | Location: Texas | Registered: 09 August 2007Reply With Quote