New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rifle Value
 Login/Join

<chris_m>
posted
I just picked up a nice 270 Winchester rifle built by W.A. Sukalle of Phoenix, AZ. It is built on a F.N. commercial mauser action and came with a Stith master mount and a Stith 4x Bear cub. I paid $400 for it. Does anyone have a clue of the value of this rifle?

one of us
posted Hide Post
400 dollars

Posts: 19371 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Gary Rihn>
posted
Chris-

I think what p dog is saying is that with a rifle such as yours, it's worth whatever you think it's worth. You obviously thought $400 was a fair price or else you wouldn't have bought it. Someone might see it tomorrow, love it, and offer you $600 for it. On the other hand, you might put it up for sale & get no takers at $200. (These numbers are just examples, don't read anything more into them). With a "semi-custom" job like yours, it's real hard to fix a price. It's all in the eye of the beholder.

After all that, I think you did fine at $400. Sounds like a nice rifle. Go shoot it & tell us how it shoots.

<chris_m>
posted
The reason I ask is the same gun is listed on gunsamerica for $3500 except in '06. I agree that it was definitely worth $400 too me as the action scope and mounts are worth that alone. Plus the fact that this is the same gunsmith that built the rifle that helped make the 270 what it is.

<Don Martin29>
posted
In that era Sukalle, Buhmiller and Erick Johnson made the best bbls. If that rifle is signed and in good condition it could be valuable to a knowledgeble rifleman.

Tell us how it shoots!

one of us
Picture of JAG
posted Hide Post
Just my 2 cents....
Remember that the one @ Gunsamerica.com is FOR SALE, not sold.

Jason

*Ten years ago the value of a firearm was not judged by the price seen online, but by the quality of the craftsmanship.*

Posts: 510 | Location: Hood River, OR | Registered: 08 May 2001Reply With Quote
<chris_m>
posted
Jason I whole heartedly agree that the value is in the craftsmanship and not what it may be selling for online. I think that Don hit it on the head that a "knowledgeable rifleman" would know its true value. The only reason I bought this gun (Already have a beloved pre-64 270) was the price was right and the gunsmith that made it. I knew I was robbing the seller as he had no clue what he had. He just said "it was made by some smith in Arizona". Any one that has read a few older rifle books will know whom Bill Sukalle is and his reputation.

No, it is not the old flat bolt mauser action 270 stocked by Alvin Linden but it is as close as I will ever get.

[This message has been edited by chris_m (edited 01-07-2002).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jack O'Connor's favorite 270 was built by Sukalle on a flat bolt Mauser action.Jack loved Sukalle and always spoke highly of his work.

If it is in good condition,it is worth $400 and then some.

------------------
I'm out to wrong rights,depress the opressed,and generaly make an ass of myself!

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<chris_m>
posted
Brian, you hit in the head. Having read O'Connor was how I knew about Sukalle. When I saw that signature on the barrel I handed over the $400 did not even try to haggle.

Hopefully I will be able to shoot it on Friday and post the results.

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I love any good quality custom or semi-custom rifle made with a commercial FN action. Sounds to me like you did real well at $400. Think of what a commercially-made rifle with that kind of quality would cost now!

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote