THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Best caliber for "poaching" ?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best caliber for "poaching" ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted
Don't worry guys. The thing is that my brother's in law farm is loaded with axis !!!
He allowed me to hunt pigs but not deers. He is not a hunter, he just has a soft feeling with deers.... Roll Eyes

I discovered a very thick bush patch VERY near the main house and I have decided I must take care of the situation and set up a control operation in the axis population Big Grin

I have already shot one but it was far away from the house.

My 9,3x62 is too noisy, what small caliber would you recomend me ?? A poacher friend of mine reccomend me to cut the bottom of a plastic bottle and insert the end of the barrel through the mouth...

What you think about it ??

The other thing is to learn to use a bow or a cross bow....the place is full of trails !!!

BTW, with my brother in law we are like real brothers, if he catch me there will be no problem at all but I prefer to avoid that situation.

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 9.3 will blow the plastic bottle to smithereens and will not mute the muzzle blast to any appreciable degree.

The .22 WMR is widely regarded as a deer poacher's round in Texas, but an axis will need to be close enough to hit it in the skull or at the neck/skull juncture. The plastic bottle trick might actually work with the .22 WMR.

With a crossbow, you'll likely have to track the axis several hundred yards.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok, maybe I am getting old, or maybe just pissy, but what part of:
quote:
He allowed me to hunt pigs but not deers.

didn't you understand?

If you wanted to avoid the sutuation, you wouldn't do something expressly AGAINST the wishes of someone on THEIR property, but then again, I guess you only care about what YOU want, not them.

I honestly can't believe you wanted honest hunters to give suggestions on your poaching. Part of growing up is learning to govern your own passions against what is wrong. Grow up.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larrys:
Ok, maybe I am getting old, or maybe just pissy, but what part of:
quote:
He allowed me to hunt pigs but not deers.

didn't you understand?

If you wanted to avoid the sutuation, you wouldn't do something expressly AGAINST the wishes of someone on THEIR property, but then again, I guess you only care about what YOU want, not them.

I honestly can't believe you wanted honest hunters to give suggestions on your poaching. Part of growing up is learning to govern your own passions against what is wrong. Grow up.

ditto

Posts: 2097 | Location: Gainesville, FL | Registered: 13 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
The plastic bottle works well on 22 LR, but I seriously doubt it on a larger rifle.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
The 6x45 downloaded is good.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
Silencing our rifles is illegal here, but a 22 lr would work with a 2L bottle. For Axis dear, a behind the ear or neck shot with a 17 HMR at 100 yds or less would be instantly lethal. At longer range you may have to go up to 223.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo-

Ditto what Stonecreek said. I have known many top flight wildlife biologists in the Hill Country of Texas use the .22 Mag as their culling round of choice due to the low noise and lack of fuss and muss.

Now, how close are you and your bother-in-law Wink

May the wind be in your face and the sun at your back.

P. Mark Stark

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
33 Poacher's Pet

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If they are close enough, the regular .22 Long Rifle will do the job. .22 Magnum is better. 22 hornet works very well, but of course the noise is higher.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't believe this post is being entertained. Hope you get caught and if I was your bro-in-law, you'd never be invited back.

Oh yeah, down here in the Southern US, we prosecute people like that when we catch 'em.

One of Us
Picture of ozhunter
posted Hide Post
You should post this question on the Australian forum. Wink

Posts: 5886 | Location: Sydney,Australia  | Registered: 03 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
quote:
I can't believe this post is being entertained. Hope you get caught and if I was your bro-in-law, you'd never be invited back.

You gentlemen obviously don't understand or haven't heard of the Latin proverb:

"Rules are for your enemies."

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gerhard.Delport
posted Hide Post
I think the caliber that was used the most in Africa for this type of hunting in the 22 Hornet.

Accurate on the 45gr bullet will do the job.

Gerhard

"Dont get caught" shame hammering

Gerhard
FFF Safaris
Capture Your African Moments
Hunting Outfitter (MP&LP)
Proffesional Hunter (MP&LP)
History guide
Wildlife Photographer
www.fffsafaris.co.za

Posts: 1659 | Location: Dullstroom- Mpumalanga - South Africa | Registered: 14 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jumping

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo,

Are silencers legal down your way?
I've never done it, but a 22 Rimfire with a silencer sounds good. Depends on how far from your brother-in-law's houe you will be, and how far away you shoot the Deer.

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear that you and your brother in law are so close and uptight and you are working so hard to maintain that relationship. Wonder what you would want to know about if you didn't get along? Sure makes it easy to understand why landowners are reluctant to give permission to hunt. Hope he catches you and bans you forever.

Posts: 1289 | Location: San Angelo,Tx | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a short NEF 45-70 loaded to 1000 FPS would work great.
anything fast is gonna crack, thats what you want to avoid. a 44 marlin lever action or a 45 LC would be your best bet.
if you cant have speed , have mass.
I think the NEF cut to about 17" would be ideal.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would explain the negative biological impacts of non-native species such as the Axis to your Brother in law. Explain decrease in carrying capacity ie, competition for food impacting his native white tail population and the other critters. Just like the pigs only in somewhat of a different way.

Once I hunted a friends ranch in Texas and they has axis next door over the fence. They told me if I was to see an axis to kill it on the spot.

These deer ranches are like bank accounts if managed properly. They steadily grow in value. Maintaining an axis population is not good mgt. as you know.

Search up some info and print it out so he will know you are not BS'ing him.

He may give in and you'll maintain that relationship. It will most likely boil down to how science minded he is.

If he doesn't, I would just stick to the pigs. Merg

Posts: 351 | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
45 acp through a homeade supressor

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your Brother in-law owns the land and pays the taxes! If he says "you don't shoot my deer", then you do not shoot his deer!!! Try to change his mind but do not LIE to him, if you poach his deer, you are LIEING to him!!!!
Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
why dont u just ask him, if you are that close then he'd let you shoot some..

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .22 Hornet, fired from a Savage 340, used to be the cartridge and weapon of choice for poachers in South Texas.

LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I agree with a lot of what was already said. 22 hornet with a 45 grn barnes X bullet. It does the trick on whitetails.

Also a 22 mag with a 45 grn hp and shoot at the head and neck junction. Works good and very silent.

505ED

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Eeker Eeker Eeker

I will not take offense with some of the answers. The post was a bit joke/serious question...maybe that was my mistake.

Obviously you don't know how things work down here. Axis deers are not indigenous and you can hunt them year round, one permit that cost $50 bucks allow you to hunt five deers.

My brother in law is at this moment taking away 300 acres of forest from prime deer area and with it doing a GREAT HARM to the deers. I told him this and he don't worry too much about destroying wildlife habitat.

Every time I say him I will kill one of his deers we just laugh amd make jokes about that, none of us take it too seriously.

And for your information I must be one of the most ethical hunters in my country.

Nobody of my family lives in the main house, my concern was and is, not to worry the three farm workers who live there with big bores going BANG 500 yards away from the houses and avoiding the "he is shooting deers in the house" story they will take to my brother in law, nothing more..

Anyway, is obvious that there is not much sense of humour around here...

I am going back under my rock in the Southamerican Forum.

Have a nice day.

BTW, to the ones that understood my post and took the time to answer seriously or joking...thanks thumb

L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
223 - fast, fairly silent, very lethal; get an accurate one and start making head shots. Their legs fold up and that is all.
I have a FS cz 223 with a leupold 3.5x10 - it is cloverleafing UMC 55 gr JHP - that would be what I would use...if the idea to poach ever caught up to me.
coffee
Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Step Daddy used a Marble's Game Getter, 22 rimfire over a 410 shotgun, for all of his poaching.. Big Grin

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't believe a thread about "poaching" even got this much attention.... bewildered

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lorenzo,
At different times in my life I have either had access to, or owned some very good hunting lands in Michigan. Being a property manager or owner I have had far to many problems with people who Steal (poaching), Tresspasing, and Vandelism.
I appologize to you if I took your question a little to seriously and caused you harm. I can get a bit over zelous when dealing with people and property ownership.
Thank you, Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Doug,
No problem at all. I re read the post several times and is obvious that was not clear for someone who don't know me or my family. My brother in law has lost his two fathers when he was a child and has live with us since he was 13 and now he has 48 so he is more a real brother than any other thing. If he catch me with a deer he will laugh and ask me a bottle of wine for it. We have an "I prefer not to know" agreement.

I have should said that he PREFERS not to shoot the deers, is a wish not an order, there are MANY deers there, specially some big bucks so is a nice oportunity to bag some old deers.

Also "we" (he and I) suffer real poaching, people who jump the cattle fences and will kill everything, from does and inmature bucks to an angus calf !!!!

So, my idea is to hunt some big buck when oportunity arise.

I also have owned a big hunting property in the past and I know how dissapointing is to see years of effort going through the window when poachers get inside the property killing everything they see. It takes many years to have a healthy deer population and in one season they can destroy it.

Here in Uruguay is a pity but we don't have severe laws against illigal hunting, what I said before, axis are being shot year round without anyone taking care about it, that means that despite there are many of them around, is very difficult to find big ones, because poaching don't gave them time to grow older.

Because of this maybe I am being a little selfish but I don't want to pass the oportunity of hunting some nice ones. All my life I have pass imature animals and some no so inmatures...and I feel is time for me to hunt some nice ones. Because of this is that I want to hunt a couple of them without doing to much "noise" near the houses mainly to avoid spreading the voice between the workers that hunting deers is ok there...and also to avoid putting my brother in an uncomfortable situation infront of his workers (because they know he preferes not to shoot the deers)

Sorry if my post offend some of you.

Let this topic die here, as someone said, we cannot give so much atention to a "poaching" thread... Wink

L

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
The .22 Hornet, fired from a Savage 340, used to be the cartridge and weapon of choice for poachers in South Texas

Ditto!

Back in the day, that was the weapon of choice with a Q-Beam!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37878 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i would think the BEST caliber is one which could , at least legally, implant the question of deniability.
Last resort thinking. If im caught w/ said game animal and weapon what best caliber, bullet would allow me the defense of "i found it dead already".
i think the answer would be a single shot 30-06 w/ sabot 223's.
then you can claim that someone else shot, you went to investigate, found the animal and were on the way to carry it to the game warden.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hands down..... 22 Mag with soft ponts "NOT" Hollow points.. In my starving youth, fed my new family on nothing but Macoroni & Cheese and Venison..

MopaneMike

Posts: 1112 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use a .22lr with (Winchester) subsonic ammo for a lot of my meat/pest shooting for deer and pigs, as well as small game.

Inside 50 meters it is perfectly adequate and flat enough to hold dead on.

Everything else makes a lot of noise. I consider .22lr high velocity rounds to be a bit noisy these days...The .22mag, well it makes a good crack, not a huge jump from the .22hornet.

I'd say if you wanted to avoid raising suspision at the house 500 meters away, unless you can use a suppressor, the .22lr is your only option. If you wanted to get complicated, then try some heavy bullet subsonic loads with a .22hornet.

For any naysayers, here is a pic of a feral pig I shot with a .22lr Winchester subsonic at around 65m with a CZ 452 model Silhuette.

By jomas at 2007-02-20

By jomas at 2007-08-02

Posts: 2286 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bkluke10x
posted Hide Post
22 mag right behind the ear

Posts: 32 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 17 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whatever small caliber you end up using, face the muzzle away from the farmhouse or workers. The sound will tend to be less. Also, perhaps you could arrange for your poaching to coincide with some other noisy farm activity that would blanket the rifle report.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hell if your worried about noise, use a good quality crossbow archer

Stay Alert,Stay Alive
Niet geschoten is altijd mis

Hate of America is the defeat position of failed individuals and the failing state

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
And for your information I must be one of the most ethical hunters in my country.
Yeah, and a poacher is a good buddy of yours.

Posts: 16125 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
Wymple,
I call many of my buddies poachers because they use to hunt islands or other pieces of land forgoten by humankind, and there are poachers and poachers, one thing was when some of my friends who are country boys were 15 and another thing is today with 40th.

So I call them poachers a little bit in joke, many AR members from the States and Canada have been invited by me to hunt in my country and they know very well these chaps, ask them what they think about my hunting friends.

Here in Uruguay pigs are considered pest and you should shoot them on sight, they make a great harm to agriculture and to livestock (sheeps) so farmers are happy if someone shoots them away from their properties. So it has been a kind of tradition to walk the riverlines for miles chasing pigs no matter if doing this you went into someone's else farm.

Today is a little bit diferent, some traditions are getting lost (respet for other's properties) and some criminals from the towns started to kill cows so farmers are less permisive with people going into their properties because they don't know if they are just hunting or trying to kill a cow. Do you understand?

Some of my family and many of my friends are big farmers and there is not a single farm where I am not allowed to hunt...guess why....

I have hunted around the world and I have been asked for help by our wildlife authorities in the writing of modern hunting laws.

And yes I know a man who lives from his hunting skills in a avery wild island in my country, the island is deshabitated but belongs to a foreigner so in fact he is a poacher, and know what, I am proud of being his friend, because he is one of the most knowledgeable hunters I have met in my whole life.

But think whatever you want, I have better things to do...

L

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
One problem with "poaching" as it is stated here, is that as a hunter you are obligated to be as merciful to the animal as practicable, at least in my humble opinion. When one starts selecting suitable chamberings with noise as the criteria, that can become compromised.

Sure, a well placed 22 magnum, or even 22 LR can kill a deer but if it does not kill it within the first minute I bet you will have a suffering and most likely unrecovered animal on your hands and conscience.

Personally, I'd wait until you brothers Bambi's started eating his wifes flower garden and then he'll probably reconsider his touchy-feely approach.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote