THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    1in9 twist for 40gr, .223 cal

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1in9 twist for 40gr, .223 cal
 Login/Join

posted
Is 40 grain to light for a 1 in 9 twist for a .223, or will it "over stabalize" it? How much better (if at all) would 1 in 12 twist be? Thanks for opinions. kcihak

Posts: 19 | Location: Montana | Registered: 05 January 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Also, what would you say would be the maximum grain for 1 in 9 and 1 in 12 twist? Thanks. kcihak

One of Us
posted Hide Post
40's will work, but i believe you will find 60's will work better

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't see a real problem unless you plan on using maximum loads. The higher your velocity, the more rotational torque you'll be putting on that bullet -too much and the bullet will come apart somewhere around the 75 yard mark. Heck, both my 22-250 and 220 Swift will drive 45 grain pills fast enough to blow them up, and they have the standard 1:14 twist. With their thin jackets varmint bullets can be driven fast enough to come apart without being over stabilized, and that's why Hornady recommends <3600f/s on their 55 grain SX bullet.
Remember, faster twist = heavier bullet, but you can slow things down and probably get away with it...

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
fishingThe 12BVSS(1to9twist)will put 34gr. Hps.( Varmint Nite Mares) and 40 gr. Bergers well within 1" at 100yds. all day long. At 300 yds. they are still spot on. thumbroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bartsche, how fast are you runnng the midsouth bullets.Good Luck

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
waveRight at 4k. with a .223 beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
While there is theoretically some potential deterioration of accuracy when the rifling twist is faster than necessary for a given bullet, such accuracy deterioration is very small and frequently undetectable. A "good" 1-9" barrel may shoot a 40 grain .224" bullet much better than a mediocre 1-14" barrel. I wouldn't worry about the twist -- just load them up and shoot to find out how they do.

By the way, I have a friend that I load for who mail ordered some 60 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips without my knowledge for his 1-12" .223. Although they specify on the box "for 1-7 to 1-10" twists only", I loaded some as a trial in my 1-13" gun. They grouped in less than an inch with no signs of keyholing. I think you can say that twist rates are somewhat theoretical and that you don't really know until you try the given bullet in the given gun.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I have a 1:8 .223 Remington barrel in Contender format. It's my 2nd of the same type (like a fool I parted with the first one Roll Eyes), and both shoot a wide range of bullets -- from the 40 grain Ballistic Tip to the 75 grain A-Max -- with gilt-edged accuracy.

The only word of caution would be to avoid thinly-jacketed projectiles such as the Sierra Blitz Varminter and the Hornady SX.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9344 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
I've run about a jillion 40 Bal Tips thru 1-7" and 1-8" barrels and haven't lost one yet. I thought I had when I first used them as short range prone practice bullets because the hole in the x-ring of my target didn't change after several shots!

BTW, I moly all bullets for target or varmint rigs - less friction heating and jacket scarring on thin jacketed bullets in quick barrels.

Mark

"Greatness without Grace is mere Vanity" - Hank the Cowdog

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bobby Tomek:
I have a 1:8 .223 Remington barrel in Contender format. It's my 2nd of the same type (like a fool I parted with the first one Roll Eyes), and both shoot a wide range of bullets -- from the 40 grain Ballistic Tip to the 75 grain A-Max -- with gilt-edged accuracy.

The only word of caution would be to avoid thinly-jacketed projectiles such as the Sierra Blitz Varminter and the Hornady SX.
Yeah, load those for your buddies, when they want to shoot your 223 at the rane.. I keep a bag of 25 loaded SPSXs with my 223 ammo for just such occasions...

They usually can't figure why they can't hit the target...( well I only do this to the poumpous or wiseass ones...)

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can kind of see a "vapor" trail for a while.

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for all the responses! kcihak

One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
quote:

Do you consider these bullets more fragile than, say the V-max? Why is this so?

Posts: 782 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote