THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    flattest shooting , fastest, most accurate
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

flattest shooting , fastest, most accurate
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
FYI, to extend barrel life on the 22/378 weatherby, take the 22 pellet on left, and load head first into the case w/o powder, only primer, and use for indoor plinking, velocities like a pellet gun. Quiet, LONG barrel life.

Come to think of it, we could all extend our barrel lives, just shoot 22LR at 100 yds and under for practice then centerfire for when you need it hunting. Frowner

Nahh, that would not be any fun now would it? Not enough that is....

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
He may very well know metal, but doesn't know squat about powder Temp . Get real: powder burns FAR higher temp. then 400 Degrees even on the first shot !. Erosive gases are what do the damage in conjunction with the heat they create on burn . Pressure to a small degree also helps the process .

I'm not going to mention his name and get him embroiled in an internet squabble (which this isn't going to be), but it would be pretty tough to find a top gunsmith that doesn't know him or quite possibly use one of the fixtures he's designed in their work.
As I stated if you'll note
That temp is reached with sustained firings (and obviously the amount of powder burned with each shot effects it). A gunsmith I use a lot who also has a degree in metallurgy explained that to me. The first shot fired might heat the the throat to say 400 degrees (arbitrary numbers here).

Arbitrary means I'm just pulling numbers out of the air. I obviously have no idea whatsoever of what the sustained throat temp would be in a rifle after one shot of an unspecified round. I was trying to make a point.
I'm not a metallurgist and I take it your not either. I didn't mean the gasses were only 400 degrees, I was talking about the sustained temp of the throat metal. Sorry if I was unclear. It is indeed the the hot gasses and your absolutely right in stating the obvious they are a lot hotter than 400 degrees. The metal however is what has to reach a sustained temp hot enough for the steel to melt. Unless a round is TREMENDOUSLY over-bore (like say a .22-378 Big Grin) and that hot gas is going through the throat for a real long time (in ballistic terms) that doesn't happen with one shot.
Do you actually shoot anything that has a muzzle velocity of 4,000 FPS+ upon which you base this statement or do you just know it innately so you avoid them? I don't ask that facetiously cause what your saying is what I've read since Jack O'Connor, Warren Page and Elmer Kieth. About 10 or 11 years ago after many years of hearing all the horrible things about them I actually bought my first sub.22 caliber wildcat, a .17 MachIV. It now has 4,266 rounds through it with one of two loads, a 20 V-Max load at 4,120ish or a 25 grain V-Max load at 3,840ish. I shot this 5 shot 100 yard group with it last spring. The rifle is a Cooper Montana Varminter. Not sure when it'll go away but it obviously hasn't happened yet. It doesn't use much powder and there fore is slow to heat but it certainly qualifies as fast.I shoot it a lot.

Another speed demon I shoot a lot is a .20 Tactical (hate the name, nothing Tactical about it). It's based on the .223 case with the shoulders bumped to 30 degrees. My working load with it pushes the 33 grain V-Max (Hornady's original .20 cal V-Max offering) to 4,175ish fps. That rifle had 1,642 rounds through it since being chambered, this spring I checked the throat compared to where it was new. It had moved forward exactly .0015 with that many rounds down the spout. As mentioned I do not loose my head in colony varmint situations and overheat barrels. When the barrel gets warm I stop shooting or grab a different rifle.
I truly am not wanting a squabble so perhaps we can look at this with an open mind, compare experiences to both of our benefit. You are most certainly right in principle that a 2,200fps hard cast lead bullet will undoubtedly get a bunch more rounds down the tube than a 4,100fps hot rod but what's overplayed by many in that is even though it's hyperfast with proper care that barrel will last a guy for years of normal use and when it finally goes $245.00ish give or take for a good barrel plus rechambering it and start all over. nothing to it. To make a patent statement that "anything going over 3,600fps is going to eat barrels and that's a fact". Is a statement I respectfully disagree with. I believe there are a lot more variables than that, as I mentioned I got over 13,000 rounds down a McGowen .22-250 barrel before replacing it. No biggie rebarreling a rifle if a guy shoots a lot.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Montdoug, You trying to get some kind of "Diplomatic Post" appointment or what??? stir beer

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah Hot Core, "Ambassador of small caliber madness" dancing. I confess my affliction. Representing the similarly afflicted of the world and fighting the oppression and slander of hypervelocity sub.22 calibers everywhere from those that have never shot one but hate em anyway cause they just know intuitively how bad they are, without all that messy bother of actually shooting one. Spreading peace, goodwill and harmony in my wake where ever I go.
How am I doing? Wink

Just think where the venerable old .220 Swift would be if those folks had had their way? They tried. We'd all still be varminting with lever action .25-35's if the nay-sayers had had their way shocker .

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
How am I doing?
Excellently, but I'd expect no less. Wink

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks buddy. So do I get the appointment? hillbilly

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my opinion there are only two.the 220 swift,or the 22-250. The end.....

" If winning isnt important,Why keep score"

Posts: 96 | Location: central missouri | Registered: 29 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by montdoug:
Thanks buddy. So do I get the appointment? hillbilly
You would get my vote. patriot
-----

For those of you who responded to the original question: Do you believe the HOTTEST, most FASTEST 22Cal is really better than a 75gr SPBT using a SAFE MAX Load from a 243Win? stir

If you do, what distance are you thinking about? fishing

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Better in what regard?

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Being able to "accurately" hit the intended target with only one shot.

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
The saying 'Beware of the man with one gun' is well true.

With todays laser range finders, and scopes with fast trackable knobs, any accurate rifle that is consistent can do good work IMHO out to MOST reasonable ranges if you range, click adjustment, squeeze as the saying goes. That said, its more the shooter as lets face it after 300-400 yds, bullets drop and drift FAR more than group dispersion in an accurate rifle.

That said, it is handy in field to have a rifle that if you have little time to range, have less to worry re: drop/drift.

A 6BR will throw 55's @3700, have not checked trajectory as I have been happy with 70's @ 3400, but I don't shoot extreme ranges, 105's @2840 or so make me happy on longer shots and wind hits them less hard than some others due to high BC.

Perhaps Hornady will do a 22 version of the 6.5 Creedmore.....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
.22-243

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Tyler Kemp
posted Hide Post
Speaking of long shots with an accurate rifle, I shot a doe at almost 300 yards with my 45-70 tonight. I know the rifle well, and placed the thick part of the crosshairs where it thins down on the backline. The doe moved a little bit, and I hit her too far back, but she still went down. I was really suprised how much damage the 300 grain HP did out that far, considering it loses energy and velocity fast. It ruined a large amount of meat, which is my fault, but I was still suprised.

Love shooting precision and long range. Big bores too!

Recent college grad, started a company called MK Machining where I'm developing a bullpup rifle chassis system.

Posts: 2598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Strut10
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Eden:
I got in this a little late, sorry. As to Ruger and the 220 Swift, I have to agree with them. I had them rebarrel an early Mod 77 Swift for me a few years ago, and upon receiving the barreled action back, I couldn't believe how accurate it was. With RL15 and Nosler 55 Ballistic Tips @ 3800fps or so, they all go in one little bug hole, time after time after time.
Based on my experience,they (Ruger) are telling the truth.

Jerry

Gotta jump in and add my support to this one. My Swift is in a Mark I 77V. It is far and away the most incredibly accurate "out of the box" rifle I've ever laid my hands on.

Founder....the OTPG

Posts: 764 | Location: slightly off | Registered: 22 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
77 V w/tang safety, had one in 6mm, was chopped to 21" before I got it, handled beautiful and shot unreal. Nothing done to it at all, 97gr Hammet VLD, Fed brass 1x fired, neck sized, benchrest primer, H450 powder = one hole for 5 shots at 100 yds, I was elated, so was my buddy who 'had to have it' so I relented and sold it, later traded for whatever reason, that one was another 'wish I would have kept' guns.

Only complaint, that cartridge was loud in a 21" being small bore with that case capacity, but it shot so well, you could live with it. I always thought a tang safety was where it needed to be, like the #1's still have....yep heard raves on the old 77v's for sure.

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by montdoug:
quote:
He may very well know metal, but doesn't know squat about powder Temp . Get real: powder burns FAR higher temp. then 400 Degrees even on the first shot !. Erosive gases are what do the damage in conjunction with the heat they create on burn . Pressure to a small degree also helps the process .

Sounds like you've got a couple of rifles that would be great "head shooters". Is this posting of yours the braggert stage?...... or are you into another one of the star war stages of shooting developement?

I'm not going to mention his name and get him embroiled in an internet squabble (which this isn't going to be), but it would be pretty tough to find a top gunsmith that doesn't know him or quite possibly use one of the fixtures he's designed in their work.
As I stated if you'll note
That temp is reached with sustained firings (and obviously the amount of powder burned with each shot effects it). A gunsmith I use a lot who also has a degree in metallurgy explained that to me. The first shot fired might heat the the throat to say 400 degrees (arbitrary numbers here).

Arbitrary means I'm just pulling numbers out of the air. I obviously have no idea whatsoever of what the sustained throat temp would be in a rifle after one shot of an unspecified round. I was trying to make a point.
I'm not a metallurgist and I take it your not either. I didn't mean the gasses were only 400 degrees, I was talking about the sustained temp of the throat metal. Sorry if I was unclear. It is indeed the the hot gasses and your absolutely right in stating the obvious they are a lot hotter than 400 degrees. The metal however is what has to reach a sustained temp hot enough for the steel to melt. Unless a round is TREMENDOUSLY over-bore (like say a .22-378 Big Grin) and that hot gas is going through the throat for a real long time (in ballistic terms) that doesn't happen with one shot.
Do you actually shoot anything that has a muzzle velocity of 4,000 FPS+ upon which you base this statement or do you just know it innately so you avoid them? I don't ask that facetiously cause what your saying is what I've read since Jack O'Connor, Warren Page and Elmer Kieth. About 10 or 11 years ago after many years of hearing all the horrible things about them I actually bought my first sub.22 caliber wildcat, a .17 MachIV. It now has 4,266 rounds through it with one of two loads, a 20 V-Max load at 4,120ish or a 25 grain V-Max load at 3,840ish. I shot this 5 shot 100 yard group with it last spring. The rifle is a Cooper Montana Varminter. Not sure when it'll go away but it obviously hasn't happened yet. It doesn't use much powder and there fore is slow to heat but it certainly qualifies as fast.I shoot it a lot.

Another speed demon I shoot a lot is a .20 Tactical (hate the name, nothing Tactical about it). It's based on the .223 case with the shoulders bumped to 30 degrees. My working load with it pushes the 33 grain V-Max (Hornady's original .20 cal V-Max offering) to 4,175ish fps. That rifle had 1,642 rounds through it since being chambered, this spring I checked the throat compared to where it was new. It had moved forward exactly .0015 with that many rounds down the spout. As mentioned I do not loose my head in colony varmint situations and overheat barrels. When the barrel gets warm I stop shooting or grab a different rifle.
I truly am not wanting a squabble so perhaps we can look at this with an open mind, compare experiences to both of our benefit. You are most certainly right in principle that a 2,200fps hard cast lead bullet will undoubtedly get a bunch more rounds down the tube than a 4,100fps hot rod but what's overplayed by many in that is even though it's hyperfast with proper care that barrel will last a guy for years of normal use and when it finally goes $245.00ish give or take for a good barrel plus rechambering it and start all over. nothing to it. To make a patent statement that "anything going over 3,600fps is going to eat barrels and that's a fact". Is a statement I respectfully disagree with. I believe there are a lot more variables than that, as I mentioned I got over 13,000 rounds down a McGowen .22-250 barrel before replacing it. No biggie rebarreling a rifle if a guy shoots a lot.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have shot my .220 Swift a lot and have since I built it in 93 I think. No noticeable erosion or changes in accuracy. Of course, when they came out they were the devil and the barrels wouldn't last 100 shots by what people wrote at the time and you would need to scrub the bore after every third shot. This has not proven to be true. Shilen barrel, probably has 5,000 rounds through it. One in sixteen in case that matters although I suppose that would be easier on everything around than one in eight or nine.

Only mess ever made of the barrel was shooting a soft lead bullet or three out of it at around 4000 just for shits and giggles.

Posts: 895 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 12FVSS260
posted Hide Post
Considering the question was the fastest - flattest - and most accurate of the 22's......some of suggestions and answers wandered a bit off caliber. Would have to include the 22-284 and 22-6mm AI(plummer). I knew a gunsmith with a 22-6mmAI that was in the twos at 4460fps with 55's. If barrel life and fun were added to the list the 223 and 222 would have to be added.

Dave

If Accurate Rifles are Interesting.........I've Got Some Savage Rifles That Are Getting Mighty Interesting.....

Posts: 257 | Location: Central Maine | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
A local gunsmith I know, builds 22/284s with a fast twist, for a guy who is financially well off.. and he loves this round...

so much that $400.00 for a new barrel every 700 to 750 rounds doesn't bother him at all....

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote