THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Video - .264 Win Mag shot at elk - 658 yards (not my shot, not my video)

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Video - .264 Win Mag shot at elk - 658 yards (not my shot, not my video)
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted
I have a long forgotten rifle in 264 Win Mag and finally got around to mounting a scope on it and firing some shots. To learn more and more about this cartridge I've started pouring through old magazines, a few books, and, of course, the internet. I must admit that I had previously skimmed past anything about the cartridge. But I have a new found interest in it and I am learning just how capable a cartridge it is.

While researching the cartridge on the internet I stumbled across this video. I have never made a hunting shot anywhere close 658 yards, nor do I encourage others to try it. But the effectiveness of the .264 Win Mag at that distance surprised me so I thought I would share the video.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, that was decisive!

Posts: 2627 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A properly place ,proper bullet starting at a reasonable velocity for the range well do that from any decent big game caliber.

Posts: 19607 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not at all knocking the .264 as I've killed a couple of elk with it myself. But an instant drop of an elk with any caliber is due to a spine/neck/brain shot and will occur with a 243 just as quickly.

I watched an episode of one of those "long range hunting" shows on TV a while back where they always show you the amazing shot. Well, that's what they did, but the cameraman made a mistake and pulled the camera on the prone shooter back enough that you could see the pile of spent brass on the ground beside him. They had fired numerous times at the animal, which simply stood where it was at 900 yards or whatever, because it had no idea where the multiple shots were coming from. Of course, the only shot they showed was the one that happened to hit.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
No matter the distance: Having your Son for your spotter on a shot with results like that; beyond priceless. That memory will last two lifetimes.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Acted just like the little bull my son shot a couple weeks ago with his .308, only we hunted our way into 202 yards, so I didn't have to walk as far to dress him out. Smiler

I've been hunting with a 6.5x55 for a number of years now and started wondering about higher power 6.5 cartridges. The 26 Nosler is pretty interesting.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the video. Good shot! .

I have a 6,5x68 and a .270wea so I know I am well coveret . However another speedster like a .26Nosler or a .27Nosler is appealing..

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
I'm not at all knocking the .264 as I've killed a couple of elk with it myself. But an instant drop of an elk with any caliber is due to a spine/neck/brain shot and will occur with a 243 just as quickly.

I watched an episode of one of those "long range hunting" shows on TV a while back where they always show you the amazing shot. Well, that's what they did, but the cameraman made a mistake and pulled the camera on the prone shooter back enough that you could see the pile of spent brass on the ground beside him. They had fired numerous times at the animal, which simply stood where it was at 900 yards or whatever, because it had no idea where the multiple shots were coming from. Of course, the only shot they showed was the one that happened to hit.

The Fierce Life had an episode where a guy missed twice before finally connecting.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now you know from everybody on this forum and others that you can't kill elk with a tiny little bore like that! I get no no-ed when I state that a 270Win is a good elk cartridge and the 264 is just that much smaller/worse. Anyhoo, that was a good clean kill on a decent bull! Good vid and good shooting.

Dennis
Life member NRA

Posts: 1191 | Location: Ft. Morgan, CO | Registered: 15 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
oldPersonally It is my opinion that shooting game at more than 350 yds. , for the average hunter( what ever that might be ), is imprudent at best and totally unsportsmanlike.
thumbdown When multiple shots are made because you missed, to me that indicates that those missed shots could have wounded the animal so it might run off and die a slow death. Frowner roger Roll Eyes

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder when he will teach his son how to actually hunt?

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:

The Fierce Life had an episode where a guy missed twice before finally connecting.

I've heard of guys shooting nearby rocks to perfect the range before shooting at the animal itself. Apocryphal, but I don't doubt it on really long shots.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:
quote:
Originally posted by AnotherAZWriter:
quote:

I've heard of guys shooting nearby rocks to perfect the range before shooting at the animal itself. Apocryphal, but I don't doubt it on really long shots.

Would have more value getting a read on the wind, but I have heard the same thing. In this case, the guy wasn't shooting rocks.

I was doing some long range shooting practice in the desert a few weeks ago and kicked up a deer between me and the rocks I was shooting. The bullets going over his head didn't seem to faze him a bit.

Posts: 7578 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
A friend told me of someone he knows using a rangefinder scope shooting animals at long range.

Apparently the rangefinder adjusts the aim point, so you aim exactly where you want to hit and the scope takes care of that.

I had to shoot a wounded kongoni this year at what we later measured to be 420 meters.

Using a 375/404 sighted in at 100 yards, shooting off shooting sticks!

Not the sort of shot I like to take, but I got lucky and hit him.

Video is on my hunt report of this year on the African Huntung Forum.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68778 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
A friend told me of someone he knows using a rangefinder scope shooting animals at long range.

Apparently the rangefinder adjusts the aim point, so you aim exactly where you want to hit and the scope takes care of that.

I had to shoot a wounded kongoni this year at what we later measured to be 420 meters.

Using a 375/404 sighted in at 100 yards, shooting off shooting sticks!

Not the sort of shot I like to take, but I got lucky and hit him.

Video is on my hunt report of this year on the African Huntung Forum.

JMO, but from what I have seen of these scopes, the "dots" are not dense enough to provide the same precision as clicking. The wind data must be inputted, which is a lot slower than just clicking for elevation and using hash marks for wind.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
A friend told me of someone he knows using a rangefinder scope shooting animals at long range

Burris makes that scope.

Posts: 19607 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
It looks like he hit the Elk right at the Base of the neck. I have taken a few Elk (double digits) with a 264 Win Mag using 140 grain bullets out to 500 yards. Most were 300 to 400 yards.

Posts: 2694 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And we know the distance on the video how?

- Lars/Finland

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 556 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Caliber is only a small part of such shots, luck it primary..I would bet dollars to donuts some old cowboy at some point in time has made the same shot with a 30-30..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote