THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    looking to fill the gap (204-7mm)

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

looking to fill the gap (204-7mm)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm looking to fill the gap between 204, AR-15, and 7mmRemMag. I was thinking something in a short action for 'yotes, badgers, and other vermin (whitetails). I would be proud to have a .223 in a bolt gun, but I also have all of the reloading gear for 22-250. A .243 would make short work of a whitetail though.

Help me decide! Open to all calibers that I can get over-the-counter if in a pinch.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then is not an act, but a habit"--Aristotle (384BC-322BC)

Posts: 749 | Location: Central Montana | Registered: 17 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Man EekerThat's a big gap. No sexual implication intended.I've just fallen in love with my 250-3000 so you know where I stand. Roll Eyesroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To me that's an easy answer. If you go short action 243 if you went long action my personal fav. is 6mm.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the .243 would be the choice if varmints and Deer were the target. but still leaves a big gap from .243- 7MM Mag. just MHO.

6.5 SWEDE.

Posts: 185 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 21 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
.243 is a good option, though it is a hair lighter for deer. IMO, better choices are:

Short Action:
.257 Bob.
.260 Rem
6.5 Rem Mag

In a longer action:
25-06

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2318 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
I have a 243 Win and 257 Wby Mag and I love them both. But there really is a lot of difference in the two. The 257 is closer to the 7mm Rem Mag while the 243 is closer to the 204. I have, however, worked up a load for my 257 that has the same ballistics as a 25-06 so It has become a more versatile gun for me. On the other hand, I have the largest selection of loads worked up for my 243. It can be an excellent long range varmiter while I can also load it to be a very good long range whitetail/antelope, etc. gun. So, I believe I'd choose the .243 for you to "fill the gap" that your needing to fill. Smiler

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HankinColorado
posted Hide Post
.257 Roberts, a pure classic!

Hank

Life, it's good...

Posts: 225 | Location: Colorado Springs USA | Registered: 23 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
25-06.

You'll still have some uncomfortably large gaps on either side of the 25 though. Wink

CSSA
CPC

Posts: 129 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 11 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
260 or .264 Mag 6.5X55 or 6.5-284 . bartsche did I read a post not long ago that you had a 6.5-284 , if so how do you like it ?.
archer
Any one of these will do nicely . IMO I would opt. for the latter not everyones got one of those , provided you hand load that is .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target. ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok I have your problem all solved. Sell that 7mm. Get a good 270, I love my 270wby it's my fav. Get a good 22cal varmint/yote gun. 223, 22-250, 220 swift, 224tth, the list of 22's goes on forever. If you have a good 270 a hot rod 22 and if you want to step up to a big bore a 338lap or something of the like, I've got the 3338-378wby bug something fierce, you will have ALL your bases covered.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr.K:
. bartsche did I read a post not long ago that you had a 6.5-284 , if so how do you like it ?.
:

Had it chambered by Ackley around 1966. There was not a 140 gr. conventioal bullet at that time that didn't disintegrate in the air. Barnes original 156gr. sp and Hornady and Norma 160gr. bullets were fantastic Mule Deer Slayers. The rifle resides now, somewhere in Colorado. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've gapped it with :
25-06

Posts: 78 | Location: Cody, Wyoming | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Dr.K is on the right track, I like the recommendation of something 6.5'ish,
6.5x55 or 6.5x284. I have both, lot more experience with the 6.5x284, but like them both very much. Both are VERY accurate.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer short actions. 243 or 260 would be my choice. Which one? Both! You need to fill "THE" gap.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would go with any of the 6mms .257s or 6.5s.
I like the roberts as well as anything , but a 6mm Rem is a great choice too.
the .260rem should be more popular than it is.
When faced with a delema like this I would go to a place that stocks lots of rifles, and start holding the ones you like best and take the one home that seems to fit you.
Kind of like choosing a puppy...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, that sure is a big gap to bridge!

I guess I would try

22-250, 243, 25-06, 280 or 270 if you prefer.

I think that would pretty much have you covered, but than we just have to bridge the gap between 7mm mag and 458 lott.

Posts: 52 | Location: SOMEWHERE IN MICHIGAN | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In a short action and over the counter I'd opt for the 260.

Posts: 323 | Location: Northeastern, PA | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
filling a "gap" between 223Rem in an AR15 and the 7mmRemMag in a bolt gun....

Gee... I have pretty much the same issue except my
only current 223Rem is a bolt rifle....

I don't have something smaller in a centerfire
and honestly don't see the need.

If I didn't have a 223 varmint rifle OR ~7000
pieces of once fired brass I MIGHT consider a 204Ruger, but would probably talk myself into what I've already got, a Rem700VSSF in 223Rem.

But reflecting more I do have a 6.5x55, a 30-30 and a 30carbine (with an Aimpoint2000) I don't consider either of my current 30-06s to be "between" the 223Rem and the 7mmRemMag.... I consider the 7mmMag to be "a 30-06 by a different means" or as a sort of 25-06 writ largeSmiler

And while I've used it on deer (head shooting unsuspecting does in an orchard) it isn't my first choice as a deer rifle by any stretch of the imagination.

I'd really recommend something in either a 6mm (243Rem or 6mmRem) or better yet a 25cal.

The 25's are just a bit more "solid" on deer, I just ponder why so many insist you need the very heaviest bullet available (a 120gr) to kill a deer...?

the 26cal's (6.5mm) are less than ideal for "dual purpose" rifles because of the limited selection of varmint bullets for them, but I doubt there's any deer out there that a 125gr partition wouldn't do a perfect job on.

I'd honestly suggest that a 243(SA) or 6mmRem (LA) gives you greater versatility, but if you reload there is always the possiblity that you could simply download your 7mm so it isn't too destructive on deer.

Personally I like the 25-06 because EVERYONE chambers for it and nobody is stupid enough to chamber it in short action repeaters. but to be honest I bought my 7mm as a replacement for my 25-06.

But inline with your last statements a 22-250 isn't going to do a whole lot that your 204 won't do and you want a short action...

So to end a long meandering post with a short answer it sounds like you've already settled on a 243Win.

Enjoy!

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
In a SA I'd go with a .250 Savage for dual purpose if it has to be a SA and factory.

My first choice would be a .257 Roberts if going with a factory version, and probably in a Hawkeye.

If you'll barrel one then the sky is the limit. I like .25's over 6mm's, and would recommend .257 Durham Jet, .257 DGR for a S.A. If I were doing a standard action I'd probably be torn between a .257 Rob A.I. or .25-284W.

Of course if you wanted to go even a little more unique you could do a .25 SAUM!

I've taken a lot of 'Yotes with my Bob & 75gr Hornadys as well as deer with heavier bullets ( 100's, 115gr, 117gr, and 120gr.) Great round and lots of choices in bullets.

As for that "gap", well I think if you're like the rest of us you'll find there are lots of gaps that need filling between a .204 and 7mm RM . Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
.257 Roberts
.260rem
6.5x55
Take your pick

Don Nelson
Sw. PA.

Posts: 622 | Location: PA. U.S.A. | Registered: 12 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like short actions also, but the 25-06 falls right in the middle, and will have many choices in rifles.

One of Us
Picture of xm15e2m4
posted Hide Post
I second everyone reccomending the 25 or 6.5 'S.
Just base what size casing on what size and weight rifle you want.

I follow Rule #62.

Posts: 109 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 21 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
25-06.............GODS CHOSEN CALIBER!! Followed closely by 260Rem! Ain't nothing on this side of the world that those two won't handle with proper shot placement!! Anything else............375H&H!!!! ain't nothing nowhere that one won't handle!! GHD

Groundhog Devastation(GHD)

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep I'm thinkin 25-06 too.
All-around rifle, punch paper, shoot varmints, and kills medium game well.
Can go up in a pinch with preemie bullets... as in close to medium range on Elk.

Posts: 434 | Location: Wetcoast | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote