THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    20 cal crow/fox killer project?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

20 cal crow/fox killer project?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of nightwalker uk
posted
Have the oppurtunity to get a Rem 700 action rebarreled for crows and fox's. Looked at getting a secondhand 223 or 223AI, but decided on a new barrel rifle.

Torn between calibres now, 20 Tac, 20 Practical or 22BR.

I prefer a magnum sporter weight barrel (do alot of walking varminting - had a VSSF once and hated lugging it around!), would also like a shorter barrel 23" or 24". Which calibre would suit or not sacrifice a mass of velocity for a shorter barrel (not 26").

Also have the oppurtunity of a HS stock from a 700 LTR, like the idea of smaller palm swell etc but am concerned that the shorter length of stock will be a problem (muzzle heavy) for this length barrel. Anyone built a set up using the LTR stock? Or would I be better using the standard HS varmint stock?

Posts: 418 | Location: Derbyshire, England | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love the 20 vartarg but if i was to do it again i would choose the 20 practical. thats due mostly to cost issues.

One of Us
Picture of Ted68
posted Hide Post
With a short barrel, say 21-23", and you're already considering a .224 cal, I would definitely go with the classic old 222 Remington. The Triple Deuce. Wallet friendly reloading and legendary accuracy. It has won many BR competitions in it's day, and can still hang with the PPC's. In a short barrel, it's smaller capacity will cost you little in velocity but still have plenty for foxes. And last, Remington sells the brass cheap.

Posts: 131 | Location: Islamorada, Florida USA | Registered: 05 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
+1 for what Ted68 said.

The Triple deuce is a often overlooked but very user friendly round. I have a Remington that a previous owner cut about 4 inches off the barrel for some unknown reason. I purchased it as a project thinking I would re-barrel it later but decided to try it first. H-322 and Bruno 50 grain bullets combine to give little bitty groups. Not bench rest tight, but still honestly under .400 of an inch. My most accurate rifle.

You might also consider the .221 Fireball. I have a CZ in the .221 ( and the Hornet ) that is just about the cat's a$$.

Picture of West
posted Hide Post
I shoot my 20TAC and 20VT's a lot. Which rrifle I use depends on the distance I'm shooting. Both are great calibers.

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction.

Posts: 41 | Location: Aurora, CO | Registered: 18 August 2004Reply With Quote