Notify
Tools

Re: Ruger 77/22 hornet
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Quote:

I may be the luckiest SOB...
After owning 6.22 Hornets, mostly single shots I got a 77/22-Hornet.
Most of the time I used IMR-4227 or Win. 680. Their groups varied from 1 1/2 to 2 inches. With the Ruger 77/22-Hornet I tried 2400. After setteling on 9.7 grains [MAX LOAD] with a 45 grain PSP bullet, the thing groups so small you can cover it with a dime.

Actually that makes two of us. There are three .22 Hornets in our house(2 Ruger No. 1b's and my 77/22) and all shoot under MOA all day. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I know I have run this up the flag pole once before but have lost all of my data with a computer crash. I need to know who works on these inaccurate pieces of *****. I seem to remember someone giving me a name such as conneticut gunsmithing or something like that. All help is appreciated I am finally in position to get this thing worked on. My son is ready to step up. thanks all

one of us
posted Hide Post
I may be the luckiest SOB...
After owning 6.22 Hornets, mostly single shots I got a 77/22-Hornet.
Most of the time I used IMR-4227 or Win. 680. Their groups varied from 1 1/2 to 2 inches. With the Ruger 77/22-Hornet I tried 2400. After setteling on 9.7 grains [MAX LOAD] with a 45 grain PSP bullet, the thing groups so small you can cover it with a dime.

Posts: 355 | Location: Roanoke, Virginia | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had about 5 of these so far and every one I ended up doing the same things to. #1 re-bed the receiver in accraglas & #2 rechamber to K hornet. In all cases they responded quite well ending up in sub MOA groups. One other thing which is really easy to do on ruger 77's - replace the trigger spring with a lighter one. It ends up with a 2-3# trigger and takes more time to pull the barreled action out of the stock then to do the trigger job.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a link of improving the accuracy by taking slop out of the bolt.
http://www.centerfirecentral.com/ruger22h.html

Posts: 338 | Location: Johnsburg, Illinois | Registered: 15 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You're thinking of Connecticut Precision Chambering. You can "Google" them for the web page.
Two real helps with the 77/22 Hornet are glass bedding the action and first 2" of barrel, and fixing the trigger. I used a SpecTech adjustable trigger and Volquartsen target sear in mine.
I also inserted a shim in between the bolt halves in mine, but it wasn't much (0.0015"), and it didn't make any difference at all.
Other than the bedding and trigger, the biggest help was switching to Hodgdon's Lil'Gun powder. You can't overfill a Hornet case with Lil'Gun.
I also use Federal #100 Small Pistol primers. My Ruger really liked 40-grain Hornady V-Maxes and Berger 40-grain MEF's.
Regards, George.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Been there, done that.

If someone offered me a Ruger 77/22 Hornet for free, I might take it.

Good Luck.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Connecticut will fix it, Clark works on them rebarrels and such. Call James Calhoon and for a little more they will make you a 19 Calhoon give you the dies and a cleaning kit. It will drive tacks then. It was like $365 for dies a barrel bullets brass and a cleaning rod and some brushes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Before you give up all hope, try this:

35gr. Hornady V-Max
11.3 gr. 2400
Fed 100
RP Brass
LOA 1.750"

This load shoots 1/2 MOA in my Ruger Hornet

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote