THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Short Action, .378 head diameter options...

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Short Action, .378 head diameter options...
 Login/Join

<redleg155>
posted
I have a Rem M700 in .223 Rem that is a good shooter. I have no real background in tiny caliber, fast centerfires. Lately though, I've developed an interest in the fast little zappers. Why? I don't know - maybe because I'm just not the .223 type of guy.

Example: I have 2 mauser rifles in 30-06, an FN commercial and a 1909 Argentino. I have fired niether, and won't. Don't even have ammo for them. One will become a .416 Taylor, the other a 338-06. Not that there is anything wrong with the 30-06, but everyone has one and that's enough reason for me to avoid it.

Kind of the same for the .223. Good cartridge. This rifle does 1/2 at 100 yards with it's 10x Unertl scope. But, it's too common a chambering for me. I would like to hear what your opinions and recommendations are for the obvious re-barreling choices that are out there. Starting with the .17 MkIV through the 6x45mm (6mm-.223).

I am intrigued by the small ones like the .17 Remington and MkIV. Just read Todd Kindler's webpage info on the .20 calibers too. The "Tactical 20" seems like it's a real winner - thanks for the good reading Mr. Kindler.

I doubt I'll replace the .223 barrel soon as it's a good shooter, but eventually it will get replaced. Despite my mauser-only tendencies, this rifle was a gift so I will never be able to let it go.

OK, have at it and thanks.

redleg

one of us
posted Hide Post
Redleg,

The simplest and cheapest solution to your problem (don't worry,I wouldn't be caught dead holding a 223 or a 30/06!!),is to just take the rifle to your favorite neighborhood gunsmith and have him rechamber it to 222 Remington Magnum.You'll get about 100 FPS more at the muzzel,and you'll be the only little boy on the block who owns one.

If I were you and had to rebarrel,I'd be pulling my hair out trying to decide between the 17 Remington and 6x45.

The deciding factory between the two is what you'ld want to do with it.For poping ground squirrels and watching them explode in the scope,the 17 Remington wins hands down.If you are mainly going to use it on coyotes and javelina,I'd go with the 6x45.

Either way,you can't go wrong.If I remember correctly,Ray Atkinson has killed a pile of impala and the like with his little 6x45.Watching ground squirrels turn into a red mist on 16x is pretty neat with a 17 Remington.Ah hell,now your going to make me go buy one of each.

------------------
I'm out to wrong rights,depress the opressed,and generaly make an ass of myself!

Posts: 529 | Location: Humboldt County,CA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Mike Anderson>
posted
I really don't understand this one. Why mess up a good 223. Just for the hell of it. If you have a certain goal its one thing. Such as shooting heavy 22 cal bullets. Most likely its a 1 in 12 and the barrel would have to be replaced.
What's your goal here?

By the way 223 is one of my favorites, kinda hits me wrong. It does a lot with little powder.