THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    New rifle in a necked down 284... What to do?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New rifle in a necked down 284... What to do?
 Login/Join

posted
I'm planning on building a new rifle this off season somewhere between 6mm and 6.5mm. Main use will be as a light weight walking rifle. Most shots will be 300 and less but some (few) can extend to 450. I am planning on doing some pronghorn hunts in the future and am keeping that in mind with this project.

Here is what I am currently looking at 6-284AI, 257-284AI, and 6.5-284AI. Does anyone here have any experience with these?

I know the 6mm is quite over-bored and the barrel life will not be exceptional, that is ok this is going to be a hunting rifle.

257 well I haven't heard much about this one at all, I assume it is because if the much smaller number of bullet choices.

6.5 high BC lots of bullet choices, makes sense to go this way but for some reason I am drawn to the smaller two...

Any help, advice, etc is appericated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 6.5-284, not the AI version, that I did as a light hunting rifle. The best advice I can give you is to make the barrel at least 24" long. Mine is a #1 barrel at 20" and it is, by far, the loudest rifle I own, including the 264Win Mag. I'm not sure you need the AI, but that is a matter of preferrence. It might add 25-50 fps at most.

Of the three you listed, I would go for the 6.5 because you can fireform factory brass or neck down Winchester 284 brass and fireform it. I would do the latter since I could never justify paying twice as much for brass that I have never found to be twice as good, since I don't shoot long range matches. I just hunt with it. My rifle still shoots WELL less than an inch at 100 yds.

Whatever you do, enjoy the rifle!

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't see any value in trying to "AI" the 284 case. The only way to "AI" a 284 case is to go with the RSAUM or WSM case in lieu of the 284 case.

If you're planning to shoot varmints, I'd suggest the 25-284, since the 75 grain VMax and Sierra HP will allow you to shoot faster/flatter. If you're planning to game that is bigger/tougher than deer, I'd suggest the 6.5-284, since you could shoot bullets up to 160 grains, if they fit the OAL specs for your rifle.

I have multiple rifles chambered in 25-284 and 6.5-284. If limited to 1 rifle to shoot varmints and medium game, I'd opt for the 25-284. If limited to 1 rifle to shoot varmints, medium game, and elk/moose, I'd opt for the 6.5-284.

Good luck.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would echo .260's thoughts exactly.

First, it is pointless to try to "improve" a case that already has a straight body, sharp (35 degree) shoulder, and short neck. What's to be gained?

Second, I load for a friend's .25-284. It is a superb varmint round with 75 gr HPs, and is equally excellent for deer-sized game with 100-120 grain hunting bullets.

The 6mm-284 will gain you nothing on the lower end, and is more limiting on the upper end.

The 6.5-284 is not as good for varminting, but is better if you anticipate using it for game larger than deer.

There you have it. Take your choice.

BTW: I've never used anything other than WW .284 brass necked down in a single stroke. I never lose a case and have no trouble otherwise.

Posts: 13234 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
can't see any value in trying to "AI" the 284 case. The only way to "AI" a 284 case is to go with the RSAUM or WSM case in lieu of the 284 case

Make that 3. thumb

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
I would echo .260's thoughts exactly.

First, it is pointless to try to "improve" a case that already has a straight body, sharp (35 degree) shoulder, and short neck. What's to be gained?

Second, I load for a friend's .25-284. It is a superb varmint round with 75 gr HPs, and is equally excellent for deer-sized game with 100-120 grain hunting bullets.

The 6mm-284 will gain you nothing on the lower end, and is more limiting on the upper end.

The 6.5-284 is not as good for varminting, but is better if you anticipate using it for game larger than deer.

There you have it. Take your choice.

BTW: I've never used anything other than WW .284 brass necked down in a single stroke. I never lose a case and have no trouble otherwise.

DITTO beer
There are no flies on the quarter bore, it just suffers from lack of advertising. Everybody who reads the gun rags knows what a 243 is, but probably isn't so sure what a Roberts or 6m/m Remington is. Arguably the 257 Roberts, and its smaller cousin the 6m/m Remington, are superior to the 243, and anybody using them will tell you so. IMHO they are easier to reload, and neither is subject to "pressure excursions" like the 243. Like the 25-06, the 25-284 would be "more of a good thing".

posted Hide Post
Thank you all for your posts. The more I've been thinking about it I've decided that 25 cal is what I'm going with but I'm going to go with something with some more oophm.I'll probably start another topic on it.

25 Banshee, 257 STW and the 257 Allen are my new interest. I'm familiar with the first two but the Allen is new to me. I found out about it on the long range hunters forum. Seems to be very highly praised.

STW is the cheapest route but with the money invested to do any of the three is is negligible.

one of us
Picture of lofter
posted Hide Post
"light weight walking rifle" how light is light and how big is your wallet? I say this only b/c the 284 wildcats need a 3 inches oal to perform especially the 6.5. that tranlates to long action. what you really might like is a 260 AI..or 257-08 AI. you could use a model seven action 22" light weight barrel with a 1.5 lb stock and that might suit your needs. BTW I own 2 6.5-284 norma's and a 284 all 3 sporter weight. they are not light weights 8-9 lbs all up including scope and ammo.

Anything worth doing is worth doing right the first time.

Posts: 411 | Location: Southeastern Pa | Registered: 30 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Lofter,

The weight and plans have changed for this first rifle. Probably will do something like a 284 or one of it's sub cartridges

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
FMI, For what little it is worth, I cannot recomend the AI version of the ___/284 line of wildcats. I own and shoot 5 different AI's and also a "basic" 6mm/284 and a 6.5/284 while both of the latter two are tight necks, they are not improved.

It will all boil or distill down to this: What is your primary target orientation, big-game or varmint? The big-game will be best served by the 6.5, and of course the 6mm is best for varmints. Both are easy on the shoulder, the 6.5 may be easier to load for. Both really shine after 400 yards or so!

Therefore, as posted above: the .260 is the better choice!

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
to get any significant gains over the 243 youll need a Fast twist barrel and be shooting heavy projectiles.

Id probably go for a 25-284. I wouldnt have the improved version but i would have a 26" barrel

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can see no reason to Ai the .308 case either. You will not get much of a boost.
To me the best case to AI is the X57.
The 06 case is ok. But You need enough tapper to make a difference.
By the way, there is really no shortage of .257 bullets. Nosler makes 7 I can think of
speer has 5 or 6. barnes has some top grade game bullets in the .257 bore.
If you want to get some real poop out of a Quarter bore , I would do a .257 WSM. How about on a Ruger #1 with a 28 inch tube !
...tj3006

freedom1st

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
By the way, there is really no shortage of .257 bullets. Nosler makes 7 I can think of
speer has 5 or 6. barnes has some top grade game bullets in the .257 bore.

That is true, the problem though with 25 cal, there are very few if any bullets with relatively high BC. This makes both 6mm amd 6.5 mm which both have high bullets avaliable, much better choices for long range work.

Posts: 318 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 115 grain tripple shock has a BC of 429.
A 120 grain speer BT is.435.
Noslers 115 grain Balistic tip is at .453
I know there are bullets with higher BC,s
But a good 25 caliber bullet will take deer size game as far as the huge majority of people should be shooting at them.
The 115 grain b-tip with a muzzle velocity of 3300. I get that with my 26 inch 25,06, will hit with 1100 plus FPE at 600 yards.
Step to a .257 weatherby , and add 2 or 3 hundred FPS.
And of course it flattens and adds long range power.
If you are shooting game at ranges farther than that you are a much better shot than I am...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
I foresee NO IMPROVEMENT being possible at all with an AI version of the .284 in any caliber! It's as improved as you can get w/o losing neck length, which is already on the short side!

I have a fabulously accurate & powerful 26" barreled 6mm/284. Had it since 1964. I have been saving the barrel-maybe 300 shots thru it to date! If I were building this gun today, I'd make it a 6.5X284! Better bullet size, and it's a factory standard round these days......

5 shots, 100 yards... average is only .02" bigger than this. MV w/ 85-grain Sierra HPBT and MRP is 3700 FPS.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FMI:
Lofter,

The weight and plans have changed for this first rifle. Probably will do something like a 284 or one of it's sub cartridges

That didn't take very long, now did it? About 10 hours, in fact!

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
What can I say... I can be like that sometimes.

The project once I'm done with my fathers birthday rifle will be a 25-300RUM. Barrel won't last long but once she's dialed in it won't see much shooting other than sight & check and 1-2 shots a year hunting.

One of Us
Picture of brytstar
posted Hide Post
You might want to look at the 257AI, very efficient in the field.

In politics as in theology! "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, But the heart of the fool to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Posts: 200 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote