New
Find
Notify
Tools

240 Weatherby
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for first hand knowledge on a 240WB. Please refrain from posting about other cartridges for I am only interested in the 240WB.

I'm building a 240 on a model 700 with a Lilja barrel 1-10 twist. I like the 70-87gr bullets and would like to hear from others that own or have worked with a 240WB.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a weatherby accumark in 240 weatherby.It has a 24" 10 twist barrell. Weatherbys' typically have freebore so I do not try to try to load bullets long. I stay close to SAAMI oal's. You might discuss freebore with your smith. My go to load for hogs and deer is an 85 grain nosler partition over 53.8 gr. H-4831SC, fed. 210M primer, 3.070 oal. Works for me.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an old .240 Weatherby, wood, deluxe treatment rifle. Have not hunted it yet, but it shoots factory and handloads into under an inch all the time. Have only used 95 and 100 grain bullets, still a work in progress.
LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wizard78
posted Hide Post
I sold my 240 Mark V deluxe, last spring. It was one of the most accurate factory rifles I owned. Rivaled my Sako's with factoy ammo.

Posts: 1552 | Location: SE Florida | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have what you are building, or very close.
Rem 700 stainless BDL action
Lilja 26" #4 contour stainless barrel
McMillan Remington hunter stock
A 4-12 A/O sits on top.

I have loaded 70 grain balistic tips for coyotes and found them extremely effective, but very hard on hides, which is a non issue for me.
I also have loaded 95 and 90 ballistic tips as well as 90 sciroccos and shot antelope with all three of those. I only shot one antelope with each of those bullets, so the data is small.
The 95 was a 300 plus yard shot that was through the lungs and gave full penetration on a small doe. The Scirocco was about 80 yards, facing me. The bullet penetrated 3/4 the length of a large buck. The 90 ballistic was this fall. It was a 220 yard shot broad side on a large buck. The bullet exploded and really penetrated only about 1/2 through the animal. I like the cartridge and this rifle, it's a sub 1" gun.
Do be careful with loads, I can not load to the max loads in some manuals with out loosening primer pockets.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one that I got from my dad after he passed away. He didn't shoot it that much. He bought one of the first ones back in 68.

It is a Mark V Deluxe with the sporter barrel. I had it re-blued and I re-finished the stock on it. I also bedded the action and floated the barrel.

I reload with 70 gr BT Nosler and I think it was 52gr of Varget? I will have to look to see if that was the correct # of grains.

Anyway, very accurate as long as the shot string is limited to 3 shot groups (< .5 inch groups @ 100yds), otherwise the barrel gets really hot, and the group will then open up a bit.

I took it out coyote hunting this Oct and it knocks them down with that load. I need to adjust the trigger though. It is set up a bit higher than 4 lBs.

I did notice after shooting it intial after about 20 rounds that the accuracy had fallen off significantly. That is when I discovered that every single screw on the action and the scope had vibrated loose. I put Blue locktite on and tightened them all down again and it was shooting as well as the first shoots.

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have owned 2 240's over the years.The first was a MK V I traded on a 378 and my present one I had built on a push feed Mod 70.With the right projectiles it kills like a lightning strike.I killed a feral goat in New Zealand-years ago-at 300 yds.This is my longest shot-by about 200 yds.

Australia
I love a sunburnt country,
A land of sweeping plains,
Of ragged mountain ranges,
Of drought and flooding rains.
I love her far horizons,
I love her jewel-sea,
Her beauty and her terror
The wide brown land for me!

Posts: 302 | Location: Australia | Registered: 09 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i shot and loaded 240wb for many years a 26hb on a husky action fajen stoch herritage arms 1969 ,shot many g-hogs antlope and deer norma 205, mrp and 4831 liked it very much good acura round with all bwts ,keep blr-lenth min 26 inch or chamber 243 if you think short tube is neccessary..wish i had not traded it off.. buc

Posts: 29 | Location: mt vernon ohio | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the responses. Keep them coming.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I looked back at the powder I am using and it isn't Varget. My load is 52 gr of H414 with the Nosler 70 gr BT.

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote