THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Some targets from my new Savage .243

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some targets from my new Savage .243
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted
I know a lot of us like to disparage the Savage, they sure aren't pretty and the stock sucks. I got around to shooting my new Savage 12 FV this morning, 26" varmint barrel, accutrigger, tupperware stock, everything just as it left the factory, haven't even adjusted the trigger which I am guessing is around 2.5 pounds. I have mounted a Weaver Grand Slam 6-20 scope in 2 piece Weaver style mounts and Burris Z Rings.

Conditions were not the best, temp ok around 78, but wind gusting 5-20 right to left from about 110 degrees. All shooting was with a bipod on the front, hard hold on the shoulder.

This was my factory load to try, Federal with 85 gr. Sierra BTHP Gameking. Not so bad, 5 shots in .899" c to c. It was actually the last target I shot and I had adjusted the scope to 100 yard zero.

This target has the 70 gr. Nosler BT, Hornady brass, CCI LR primers, seated as long as the magazine will allow (2.708"), charge weight was 45 grains, 45.5 grains and 46 grains of H414. 5 shot groups were .668", .897", .689", and in the last two groups I pulled one shot badly low, and one left. Best 4 shots were .435", .440" and .413". I'm quite happy with this load, I'm going to try this bullet in the Lapua brass with CCI BR primers next to see how it will really shoot.

I also tried some loads with the 95 gr. Berger VLD. These suck so bad I won't even show them. Even loaded to max magazine length they still have quite a jump to the lands. Berger says this is a no-no so I'll have to try hunting loads with the Barnes TSX and Speer Grand Slams I have on the bench, although the factory Federal load would also work ok for deer size game.

So far it's getting awfully close to being a 1/2 moa rifle. I really do like the accutrigger and will probably adjust it to minimum. This is also my first Grand Slam scope and will not be my last, an extraordinary value in my mind.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
congrats on the new stick,very nice out of the box shooting,
regards

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
How do you live with that? That Savage will barely shoot to 1/2 - 3/4 MOA right of the box.

Wink

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12534 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
BG, Congratulations on what appears to be a good shooter. The 70 gr BT and the 414 is my fireforming load in my Cooper and it averages as your better 4's did with it. Nic to have a Factory load that shoots too!

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is also my first Grand Slam scope and will not be my last, an extraordinary value in my mind.

If you ever have to send it in to Meade Instruments (who now owns Weaver) for service.. I bet it will be your last Weaver Scope...

Their service is the worst in the industry.. and if it isn't the worst, it is tied for last place...

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
How do you live with that? That Savage will barely shoot to 1/2 - 3/4 MOA right of the box.

Wink

Yep and that off a bipod. and with a rifle for under 10 grand. would probably put them touching off sandbags.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those savages are something.I just got a mod 16 in 243 with a 22in fluted barrel a couple weeks ago and it shoots very good also.All most as good as browningguy.Been trying some 105 a-max in it and they aren't doing too bad either.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you ever have to send it in to Meade Instruments (who now owns Weaver) for service.. I bet it will be your last Weaver Scope...

Their service is the worst in the industry.. and if it isn't the worst, it is tied for last place...

Ditto on that. I sent a Simmons scope back for a minor problem in December and it took about seven months before they finally sent me a replacement. I called them at least four different times, each time waiting on hold for at least half an hour before I was finally able to talk to a rep who gave me the same runaround: "They are currently on back order." Within a week of finally receiving the new one I sold it on ebay. I don't want anything more to do with Meade Instruments.

I bought a new Savage 12 BVSS with Accu-trigger in .243 this past July. I mounted a Nikon Monarch 6.5-20x44 scope on it, stuck it in the cabinet, and have yet to fire a single shot through the damn thing. Seems I'm always busy doing something else so I just never get time to mess with it. Hopefully within the next few weeks I'll be able to get it out and have some fun. I'm hoping to see similar results on paper.

Posts: 192 | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
Well hopefully the Weaver never needs service. I shot it again yesterday and still think this is a great bargain in scopes, very clear and crisp image. The wind was extremely gusty yesterday, still shot in the .6's with the 70 gr. Nosler BT, so I continue to have high hopes.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by browningguy:
I also tried some loads with the 95 gr. Berger VLD. These suck so bad I won't even show them.
So far it's getting awfully close to being a 1/2 moa rifle. I really do like the accutrigger and will probably adjust it to minimum. .

Those VLDs really need a fast twist. My Ruger Varmint .243 can't digest them either. My .223, Savage varmint does the 70gr. Bergers just great out to 400 yds. The .223 Ruger #1 spits them out all over the place. 9 twist vs 12 twist or some such thing. fishingroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by browningguy:
Well hopefully the Weaver never needs service. I shot it again yesterday and still think this is a great bargain in scopes, very clear and crisp image. The wind was extremely gusty yesterday, still shot in the .6's with the 70 gr. Nosler BT, so I continue to have high hopes.

Browning Guy.. I don't mean to knock your choice, as much as I was just trying to warn you.. I was a strong Weaver Fan, until I had to deal with Meade's Customer Service......

I have a couple of V 16s and one V 24... plus about half a dozen K 6s, one K 4, and about 4 V 9s.. and a V 3 and K 2.5....So as you can see, I had faith in Weavers.. especially when owned by ATK... but Meade is a friggin disaster...

My last V 16 I bought lasted about 600 rounds thru a 223, and the rounds were reduced recoil loads on top of it! I wasn't all that concerned, until I had to get it corrected....

Like Rowdy, my loyalty is with Nikon, but also Leupold, and B & L....

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote