THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    custom rifle in 6.5 -06 need loads

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

custom rifle in 6.5 -06 need loads
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just received my custom 6.5-06 in a pre-64 modle 70.I have and order with A-Square for 260 rounds of brass which hasn't arrived yet. What brass and powders are the various 6.5 shooters using? I prefer the 125 and the 140gr. Nosler partitions for my deer loads. Does anyone have have any favorite loads to share?

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Can't help with the load when I was working with my 6.5-280 wildcat I used Norma MRP. If I were starting today I would look slow in the RL22-25 range. In the 06 based case I liked the 125 over the 140.

For 06 cases to me there is only one choice. Lapua. Yes it cost a little more. But, you just spent $$$$$ on a custom rifle. 100 cases should last a lifetime assuming you don't abuse it.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
ib404:

I have been using 54 grains of IMR4831 and a 120 Sierra Soft Point. Velocity in my rifle runs 3100+ and this load really wacks an antelope.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Find a Nosler #4 manual...it has 6.5x06 data...it's very conservative, but it will get you started...

The two most abundant elements in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I had a 6.5-06 built a couple of years ago. I really have come to love Reloader 22 with the Hornady 129 gr. spire point. My load for that bullet is 54.5 grains. The only thing I don't like about the gun is the gunsmith cut the barrel off at 24 inches instead of leaving it at 26 like I asked him to.

posted Hide Post
Also, the Nosler Manual #'s 3, 4, and 5 as well as the newest Hornady two volume set have loads in them. Come to think of it, the newest Sierra manual has loads as well. Lots of good data currently available. Seems like this classic wildcat is once again gaining popularity.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I found the best combination of accuracy and velocity was with 59.0/RL-22 and the Sierra 140 Gameking. This is a MAX load in my rifle. Now this is MY rifle and the the leade was cut to give me max case capacity and about .020 jump into the lands. This is a McGowan XX barrel so your barrel MAY NOT take this load. Start lower and work up. I hesitate to give loads and hope you will use caution with any and all your loading. The RL-22 powder seems to be a darn good choice for the 6.5/06. I tried it in my 6.5/284 [not this load, just the powder]and it did well there too. Good luck with a great cartridge.

Aloha, Mark[in Or]

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was shooting sub .5 MOA groups yesterday with 142gr. Sierra MK's and H4831SC....My cartridge is a 6.5x06 that was reamed to deep, resulting in wildcat that is somewhere between a 6.5x06 and 6.5 Gibbs. I have to fireform using the Gibbs method...

The two most abundant elements in the universe are Hydrogen and Stupidity

Posts: 648 | Location: Huskerville | Registered: 22 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try reloader nest.com the have over 1000 diffrent loads for almost anything.

Posts: 1456 | Location: maryland / Clayton Delaware | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote