THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Opinion between 300 Win Mag,300 SA Ulta Mag,300 WSM,338-06

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinion between 300 Win Mag,300 SA Ulta Mag,300 WSM,338-06
 Login/Join

<SUB-MINIUTE>
posted
I need some information from some of you that have done a little research or have some of these calibers. Here is what I'm trying for, I live in Montana & am looking for a light rifle for Elk in or under 400-yard range. With these calibers, what are the advantages or disadvantages?

Would appreciate any info.
Thanks Bob.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I say get the 300 Winie. There's reason that it sees use as a sniper weapon, and it's more than proven for NA game.

...not to offend anyone of different opinion because I certainly would use any of the others listed - if they were given to me.

Posts: 6545 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For a day in and day out rifle dedicated to elk I would go with something a bit bigger than a .300....the .338 WinMag seems like an almost perfect choice. If you are capable of taking elk at 400 yards I believe the .338/06 will come up a bit short in both energy delivered and trajectory.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JoeM>
posted
Hello,
Of the rounds that you asked about, I would say the 300 Win mag first, and the 338-06 second.

Now here is my reasoning. The WSM is a new round and the SAUM is even newer. And I would personally not get into a rifle that does not have a proven track record of longevity, even if sales are not the best year to year. [Edit: This does not applly if I specifically desire a wildcat for some reason, just not a fan of "factory wildcats"]There are many, many orphan rounds out there, due simply to lackluster public interst, after an inital surge of buying frenzy.

With the 300 Win mag, you will have the advantage of proven performance, and readily avaialble brass. Same with the 338-06, it has been around for years, it is an easy wildcat, and Weatherby now makes factory rounds, if you want them, and have the A-square version. Yes it does lack some of the powder capacity of the 338 Win/340 Wby mags, it was designed to be a "poor mans magnum", it can go on a standard length action for only the cost of a barrel.

The other two mentioned, at this time, do not have the same amount of brass available, nor do they have the history, if something funny starts to happen, many shooters will be breaking new ground as to troubleshooting.

Ask me this same question, in 15 years, if the WSM and SAUM are still around, my answer might be different.

------------------
Safety & Ethics,Accuracy, Velocity, Energy
Joe M

[This message has been edited by JoeM (edited 10-19-2001).]