THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    top 5 varminting cartridges of all time
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

top 5 varminting cartridges of all time
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here we go: .220 wby rocket,.204 ruger,.17 rem,.223rem,and .225win. Dr.C

e we go:

At Home on the Range-Texas Panhandle

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am going to take a slightly different tact.
Rather than cite specific cartridges, I think of calibers suitable for one's varmint battery.
First everyone should have a rimfire of some sort. 22LR, 22Mag, 17HMR. Doesn't matter which. You can make a good argument for any.
Second a .17 or .20 center fire (both if you must but this will make a sixpac). Again you could argue over what ones. But in the end you need one(or two)of these also.
Third a .22 center fire. Same comments as above.
Fourth a .243/6mm
Fifth a quarter bore.
Generally each loaded with a light for caliber bullet, at moderately quick velocities for the selected cartridge.
A battery of rifles chambered in prudently selected cartridges in the above calibers would I think do any varminter proud.
My two cents

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great post!!!!

1. .25 wssm
2. 6 Norma BR
3. .22-250 Remington
3. .222 Remington
5. .204 Ruger

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote