New
Find
Notify
Tools

unusual mark on 223 cases
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just picked up about 50 or so Federal factory loaded once fired empty cases shot out of an AR. I watched the guy shoot them.
Every case has a ring(indention) circling the primer pocket. I bought 300 once fired Winchester and some of them have the same circular rings but most of them looked OK.

This ring looks like the side of the primer is stuck in the primer pocket after I have removed the primer. Is it some kind of pressure sign? I have never seen it in another caliber.

I'm new to the .223. If I had a camera I would send a picture. Thanks for any information. Merg

Posts: 351 | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a crimped primer pocket. Very common on 223 ammo, both surplus and regular commercial. To reload it deprime and then remove the crimp by either swaging (RCBS makes a tool for this) or you can use a deburing tool and cut it out with that.

Posts: 67 | Location: SE Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like military ammo with crimped primers. The ring will have to compromised (reamed or swaged) before re-priming if these cases are crimped.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Now I am not totally ignorant and know how to make use of these, altho it sounds like a bit of work. Merg

Posts: 351 | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If these cases seam to be too much trouble to reload, there are several on this board who will pay a fair price for military surplus once fired cases.
Move on to the classified section and offer them for sale. Use the money to buy some commercial cases.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Federal brass is normally good, but is known to be crap to reload in a .223.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Muck, check your PMs.

Posts: 15880 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote