New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 ultra mag
 Login/Join

<cougarhunting>
posted
I am interested in up grading to the new 300 ultra mag does anybody have any experience with this caliber what I would like to know is dose it group well handle well burn out barrels whats it like.

<ultramag>
posted
I have a Remington Model 700 Stainless and it shoots sub-MOA out of the box. I know of 2 or 3 others in various models and they all shoot well. As for being a barrel burner only time will tell. I would be surprised if it was because I think barrel steels are much better now than they used to be.

------------------
May your chambers be true to your bores.

[This message has been edited by ultramag (edited 01-27-2002).]

<MNTNMAN>
posted
I have been trying to choose between the 300 win or the 300 ultra. I think the thing that finally sold me on the 300 ultra was that the ballistics are real close to the 300 weath. and you can get it in a rifle that dosen't get me killed by the old lady.

<Boyd Heaton>
posted
Ballistic's real close to the 300 Weatherby??????????The Weatherby will not and I mean WILL NOT even begin to pick up the Ultra's jock strap.I've gotten 3465fps safley out of a 26" tube with 178gr A-MAX'S with my ultra.That's like comparing a pinto to a Corvette.

------------------
I HUNT LONG RANGE.AND YES I USE MATCHKING'S.

<Big Stick>
posted
My 26",1-10" twist 30-8mmRemmag will hit 3400fps with moly 180's. My 30" version of the same.

Well,it's faster yet(grin)................

<MNTNMAN>
posted
Boyd- As far as the jock strap thing that is just kind of nasty. But I hate to tell ya that you need to look at the charts. They will tell you that the 3oo weatherby is quite comparable to the 300 ultra. Even the factory weatherby ammo isnt too shabby. Im not ragging on the ultra, because I am very interrested in them, but check it out. You might be surprised.

<Boyd Heaton>
posted
MNTNMAN.I hate to tell you that I own and shoot both.The most I can get out of 300 Weatherby with the 178 is 3145.So I don't need to look at chart's.I have first hand knowledge with both.The chart's don't compare to the real world.

------------------
I HUNT LONG RANGE.AND YES I USE MATCHKING'S.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Weatherby loads their factory ammo very hot and remington very mild so factory loads are quite close.If you reload however you will see the ultra's advantage.I don't load as hot as some people but my custom 300 ultra shoots 180 gr bullets at 3375fps and groups average 1/2" at 100 yards.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Boyd Heaton:
Ballistic's real close to the 300 Weatherby??????????The Weatherby will not and I mean WILL NOT even begin to pick up the Ultra's jock strap.I've gotten 3465fps safley out of a 26" tube with 178gr A-MAX'S with my ultra.That's like comparing a pinto to a Corvette.

Well!!! Not hardly!

I've safely gotten 3300 out of the 24 in. barrel of my .300 Weatherby Remington 700 with 180 gr. Hornady bullets. Admittedly that's slightly less than what you say you get with the Ultra, but I don't think that Weatherby owners need go into a funk or paw the dirt or anything!

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Boyd Heaton>
posted
3300fps with a 180 out of a 24 inch tube.WOW....I would have to see that to believe it..We can't get that out of a buddy of mine's 30" barrel

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
3300fps with a 180 out of a 24 inch tube.WOW....I would have to see that to believe it..We can't get that out of a buddy of mine's 30" barrel

i have had this debate with my friends for years. i shoot a 30/8mag or as i call it 300 stw for years and have had 4 different barrels installed on same action.my pet load is a 180 scirrocco at 3285fps ave out of a 26" barrel.a friends factory m70 300 weaterby shoots same velocity no where near the accuracy. i load for many 300 ultra mags. have seen as much as 100 fps faster in factory barrels but not in custom barrels. 10 -15 grains more powder and more kick, and all the elk in the world couldnt tell which gun killed them. i prefer the 300 stw to them all.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

86 gr. of IMR 7828, Remington brass, Fed. 215 primer. With 180 gr. Sierra bullets produces 3200+ f.p.s. With 180 gr. Hornadies gives 3300. I know my chronograph is not reading high because with other loads from other rifles it gives readings that seem too low to me (i.e., are lower than what I expect from those combinations, based on what is given in loading manuals).

These Hornadies seem to have a tougher jacket, or are perhaps very slightly larger in diameter than corresponding 180 gr. Sierras, Speers, and Noslers.

This load is no problem in my rifle with the Sierra bullets. With the Hornadies it is definitely at the edge, and should be backed off a grain.

My rifle may have a very "fast" barrel. I have no experience loading for or shooting any other .300 Weatherby other than the one I have.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote