Find
Notify
Tools

219 Zipper
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Who shoots a Zipper ?
I saw a Marlin lever 336 in 219 Zipper , now I want one ... :-) cool guns . The Winchester mod 64 is also very nice , if you can find one ..$$

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1294 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot a .219 AI Zipper fpr years. It was my go-to varmint rifle.

Metal work by Harry Creighton, stock by Hal Hartley. 10X Unertl Vulture scope.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a smokeless rolling block in 219 zipper.
Old fajen pistolgrip, high comb stock. Heavy barrel and an old 10X weaver.
It shoots very well, and has that nostalgia feel when I shoot a crow or woodchuck with it.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I built one on a Remington rolling block action in the mid 80s in 219 AI. It was a hoot! I sold the rifle years ago + my dies recently.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys
It just seemed kinda strange , to see a varmint caliber in a lever action rifle with open sights ...they must of had good eyes back then ...pretty cool caliber

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

Posts: 1294 | Location: Catskill Mountains N.Y. | Registered: 13 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob, at your age, the only thing concerning zippers that you need to be concerned about is keeping yours up :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I recall having one in a Win model 64, as I recall I made ammo from 30-30 brass...25-35 necked down also works but 25-35 brass is bad stuff that splits out, not dangerous but case loss with it is high..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys , I got a bid on a Marlin 336 - 219 Zipper , see what happens..

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Xausa , that's a really nice looking rifle ..
I'll bet that shoots well ..

Back 40 , yours must be cool and fun to shoot as well ...

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

One of Us
Picture of Nevmavrick
posted Hide Post
As I write this, I look at the corner and see a Hi-Wall Winchester M1885 in .219 Zipper AI in the early 28* shoulder. I wanted a nostalgia Varminter and came across this on after the owner's passing, and his son needed to take care of a bill. It has a 26" Pac-Nor 10" twist barrel. I put a Redfield 20X M3200 scope on so it would look old. It's quite a looker from the old days. Have fun, Gene

Posts: 150 | Location: Sparks, Nevada | Registered: 03 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice one Gene .....

Hold still varmint whiles I plug ya ...:-)

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

one of us
posted Hide Post
Marlins in 219 are the better deal for a using rifle and when you shoot out the bore you can send it to me and I will buy it and rebore it to a 25-35 Win..yeeehaawww.. clap

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bear Cat:
Xausa , that's a really nice looking rifle ..
I'll bet that shoots well ..

Back 40 , yours must be cool and fun to shoot as well ...

It put an end to many a crow and ground hog in its day. It has been passed on to another owner who I hope will treasure it as much as I did. My varmint hunting days are over and I have disposed of all my varmint rifles, mostly single shots, either Winchesters like that one or Sharps Borschardts, all built by the same two master craftsmen, now, sadly, no longer with us. I have only one of their single shots left, a 7X57R, which is a honey of a deer rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a first year production 336 in 219 Zipper and well as one from the last year of production.
I have a set of 219 zipper forming dies when you need brass. as brass with the correct headstamp is difficult to locate.

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good to know on the forming dies
Bob

DRSS Chapuis 9.3 x 74 R
RSM. 416 Rigby
RSM 375 H&H

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is, even though I've sold my rifle years ago + just recently finally sold my RCBS dies to someone who could use them. I know that I had a set of case form dies as well but couldn't find them. Most likely loaned them out + forgot who to.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote