New
Find
Notify
Tools

25-06 , 115 TSX, and RL-22
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am not satisfied with a 25-06 load using H-4831, 115 TSX's, and am going to work up a load using RL-22. Barnes published max is 52.5 grains RL-22 with a 115 XFB 25 cal bullet in 25-06.

Have any of you developed a 25-06 load with the 115 gr TSX using RL-22? Was curious what your max is.

On a side note, am I the only one a little puzzled why Barnes doesnt seem to be posting any load data with the TSX's? Seems to me they would want to get off their "A@@" and get load data out in the field using the TSX's.

Posts: 492 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another powder you might consider is IMR-7828. I have used it for about 10 years in the .25-06 (a Remington 700 Classic) with the 115 gr. Nosler partition with excellent results. I use 54.5 grs. with a Fed. 215 primer and Rem. brass. Velocities run 3,000-3,100, depending on the lot of powder. Two friends have also had excellent results with this same load in their rifles. When I use up the Noslers I have I will try the TSX also. I have used the TSX in the .270 Win. and .338 Win., and maximum loads are about the same as with the Nosler partition of the same weight. Barnes lists 54.0 gr. of IMR-7828 as maximum with the 115 gr. X bullet.

Please post your results after you test RL-22 or any other powders.

one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I'm using the 115 gr. XLC's and have tried RL22, IMR-7828, and Retumbo. I've also been shooting the Hornady 117gr SST's. I'll try to get back on with data when I'm at home.

I have not settled on a load that will end my search forever but can give you what max's I settled on and tell you a bit about which powder I kept for which bullet.

This is a new production rifle and I have bedded it, and touched up the trigger but it's no bench gun. The maxes I reached are not really any gaurentee what your may be. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really dont think I reached my max with the H-4831, but I was 1/2 grain over the book listed max with the XFB in 115 grain. Down range, at 400 yards, the bullet was dropping over 3 feet, which is totally unacceptable. Rather than pushing to the end, I am moving over to RL-22, of which I have had great sucess with in other rifle loads.

If the TSX is behaving similar to more standard bullets in rifles, then I am way off from max. I worked up some loads yesterday from 52.5 grains RL-22 to 55 grains to determine where the max load is, because I believe that 115 bullet should do better than falling off 3 ft at 400 yards.

Posts: 492 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What is your zero range ??

With the heaviest and longest bullets I had best performance with Re 22 and Re 25. Re 25 gave a little better group probably due to the slower and more moderate pressure curve.

With the heaviest bullets like 120 A Frame the curve went through the roof really quick using Re 22. Only 2 grs difference and about 10k Psi is not a curve I like to see.

Swithed to Re 25 and got a nicer round.

Ina long tube(read 26") you can probably reach 3200+ f/s with the 115 TSX. With a 200y zero that will put you about 5" low at 300 and just 2" high at 100.

That means holding dead on from zero to 300y.

Posts: 118 | Location: Norway | Registered: 02 October 2003Reply With Quote