New
Find
Notify
Tools

H110----W-296
 Login/Join

<BLH>
posted
Been told that H-110 is the same thing as W-296. Is there any truth to this?
Brooks

<stans>
posted
I have heard the same, also HP-38 and Win 231 are supposedly the same. I know they are all made by Olin. I did try some HP-38 and Win 231 and they performed identically at the same charge weights.

<Bearhunter>
posted
I cannot speak for the H110 or W296, but I know H414 and W760 are one in the same.

I called Hodgdon and asked if this was so? The fellow in the tech. dept. told me that they are both made by the same company (I believe in Florida) and sold to them and Winchester. He also stated that when using their powder, use their data. When using Winchester powder use their data. Sounded like a liability thing to me.

I tried my own test and sure enough performance was the nearly the same. Maybe slight difference in batches, as seen with other powders. Physically appears the same. Try calling Hodgdon and Winchester and see what they have to say.

<KING>
posted
Hodgon Powders are made by PRIMEX in Florida. Read a recent article about it in a gun mag. As to where Olin powders are made is unknown to me!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe the first lots of H110 came from surplus WC820 which, I believe, was made by Olin. My current batch of WC820 matches W296 to within a few fps with matching loads. I use them all pretty much interchangeably. I always check any new batch by chronographing and miking case heads etc. IMHO surplus WC820 is a real bargain at about 1/2 the cost of W296.
C.G.B.

Posts: 238 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 05 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
King, I beg to differ. Hodgdon is a powder marketer which, in the past, has marketed powders made by various U.S. manufacturers, including Olin and Du Pont, and also made in Scotland. Several of the current line of Hodgdon powders are Australian-made. I'm not familiar with PRIMEX, but the Olin factory is, or was, in St. Marks, Florida.

Posts: 13236 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are one in the same.
I have from the mouth of the production manager of the manufacturer that when that powder comes out of the spicket, both H110 and W296 bottles get filled.

-Spencer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
it may all be, H335 and WW 748 are supposed to be the same too, but in my 204 I use 29 grains of 748 which is fine but 29 is to much h335. Also powder varies lot to lot, so what appears to be the same today may change tomorrow.

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I find that I can use one more grain of W-748 than I can with H-335.

As for H-110 and W-296 - all I have is hearsay that they are the same.

Posts: 284 | Location: Orange, CA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A couple of years ago Hodgdon released a flyer stating that their HS-6 and HS-7 were in actual fact the same as Winchester 540 and 571.

Further, during a discussion I had with one of Hodgdon's ballisticians he told me that HP-38 was Winchester 231 and H-110 was in fact Winchester 296. For all four of those powders he said that any variation between the Hodgdon product and the Winchester product was simply due to lot-to-lot variations.

I did not ask him about Hodgdon's spherical rifle powders but believe H414 to be Winchester 760 and either H-335 or BL(2)-C to be Winchester 748.

God Bless,
Mark in GA

Posts: 552 | Location: Coastal Georgia | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If they are the same,why did H110 work better in my SBH than the 296? I'm not saying anyone is full of it, just saying what worked for me. derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Back when I was looking for a good .22 Hornet load, I tried both H110 & W296. I could safely load the H110 to the "Maximum" published loads. W296, on the other hand was 'way too hot at the published "Maximums", blowing the primers right out of the cases.
Since then, I've assumed W296 was just a little "hotter" than H110. I don't use either powder any more, though.
Regards, George

one of us
Picture of C. A. Plater
posted Hide Post
It's still the difference from one lot to the other. The recipe is the same but each batch can come out with slightly different burn rates. For instance you can get bulk H108 and H116 that are a bit faster and slower than H110/W296 and are made with the same recipe. The processes are not perfect and vary more than you might think. I use WC820 which is surplus powder and is the same stuff as H110/W296 because it's cheaper to buy in bulk. When ever I change lots, I back off the loads and work back up to get to the sweet spot of the former load. Usually it very close, maybe a half grain or so but some times it's more like a grain or two depending on the cartridge and powder. But if you feel one is better than the other then by all mean use that one.

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -- Thomas Jefferson
http://tcbunch.com

Posts: 181 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 21 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KING:
Hodgon Powders are made by PRIMEX in Florida. Read a recent article about it in a gun mag. As to where Olin powders are made is unknown to me!

I get a pension from Olin in a few years, the plant I worked at changed it's name to Primex. I think Olin and Primex are not the same name, but have the same employees.

Power Pistol = Bullseye84
HS-6 = W540= True Blue [HS7 = W571]

Enforcer = AA#9 =H108 = WC820

H110 = W296

RL-15 = varget?

H414 = W760

H4831SC = ~ AA3100

Winchester/Hodgdon
W231 / HP38 = Ramshot Zip
W540 / HS6 =True Blue
W571 / HS7
W296 / H110
W760 / H414
W785 / H450 (both obsolete)
WAP = Ramshot Silhouette
WC680 =AA1680 = H116

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BLH:
Been told that H-110 is the same thing as W-296. Is there any truth to this?
Brooks

I have noted that they are very close, so one could use the same STARTING LOADS. But at the top end, there is sometimes some difference in MAX loads between the two. I suppose the differences are about the same as from one lot of the same powder to the next - enough to require a new load workup....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ADI (in Australia) make many of the Hodgden powders.

I think you'll find that
AR 2207 is H4198
BM2 is Benchmark
AR 2206H is H4895
AR 2208 is Varget
AR 2209 is H414

Posts: 106 | Location: Oz..... | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I've long heard they are one in the same, but have only used H-110, so can't make a comparison.

RL-15 and Varget are assuredly not the same! The grains are very different in shape and color. The burn rates are close, but they are not the same powder, and data for one of them should not be interchaged with data for the other.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
HHMMMMMM.....
Somethings fishy here, it so happens I have loaded alot of .44 mag pistol.
H-110 is my favorite rite now in one of my .44's and the W-296 can't hold a candle to it for accuracy in this gun.
If they are the same how can this be?

Posts: 434 | Location: Wetcoast | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will bring both powders in & examine under microscope, both then would be the same.

Posts: 866 | Location: Puget Sound country | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jb747:
ADI (in Australia) make many of the Hodgden powders.

I think you'll find that
AR 2207 is H4198
BM2 is Benchmark
AR 2206H is H4895
AR 2208 is Varget
AR 2209 is H414

Close, but noit entirely right. AR 2209 is NOT H414 which happens to be a ball powder made by Primex. AR2209 is actually H-4350.

Also, I'll add the following:

AS-30N is Clays
AS-50N is International
AP-70N is Universal
AR 2205 is H-4227
AR 2219 is H322
AR 2213SC is H-4831SC
AR 2217 is H-1000
AR 2225 is Retumbo
AR 2218 is H50BMG

Posts: 552 | Location: Coastal Georgia | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote