New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speer Deep Curl in .243
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone tried these bullets? I'm thinking that they might be good for daughter's .243.

Posts: 420 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 08 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
would love the chance to try some. Do you have a source?

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chop901:
Has anyone tried these bullets? QUOTE]

I took several Plains game animals recently with 180 gr Deep Curl bullets in my 30-06, AND...

I found that they are quite soft, so don't think tht they are a "Bonded Core" like TBBC, no way. They really act just like any of other cup and core bullet.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry, they are definitely a bonded bullet. But as you say, they are "softer" than some of the other bonded core bullets on the market. Speer advertises them as a deer bullet.

They are supposed to be very accurate. How did they shoot in your rifle?

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olarmy:
Terry, they are definitely a bonded bullet. But as you say, they are "softer" than some of the other bonded core bullets on the market. Speer advertises them as a deer bullet.

They are supposed to be very accurate. How did they shoot in your rifle?

They seems to shoot quite well, but I did have to watch the seating depth, as it seemed to affect groups.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, I haven't seen any available for sale. The local Sportsman's has a poor bullet stock and Midway doesn't list them.

Posts: 420 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 08 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
in the process they have canned their 90 and 105 grain bullets that have worked just fine for eternity....

guess all companies feel they need a 'new' product with a 'new' name.. to be able to be competitive with the market, or else they see sales as stagnant...

all of this 'premium' bullet phase in the industry, fueled by consumers... reminds me of the wife watching those shampoo commericals..
" it might cost more ...BUT I'M WORTH IT"

In my opinion, much of these new "bright ideas" in bullet manufacturing are catering to hunters' egos...and giving them an opportunity to jack up the prices...

looking at the Cabelas Shooting Catalog I just received... I saw that the price for 500 Rem Corelokt bullets, in 6mm 100 grain, the price was $120.00...

bought some like 2 or 3 seasons ago, and I paid $49.00 delivered on the door step....

there is no reason for the prices on these things to go to that level...

but the take advantage of China buying up metals for a short period.... and then never drop prices back down... they just keep making large profit margins...

myself, I am pretty disgusted with the industry.. price gouging over the fears of Obama and the Democrats by the public..

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
deep curl, as least when replacing gold dots, are thickly PLATED jackets .. i don't recall the thickness they told me when i was researching their 400gr .475 bullets .. holds up while at 2400fps impact in a .475!

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39692 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
Deep Curls are flat based fusions. They are built soft and the jacket doesn't taper so there is nothing to slow down expansion like some of the other bonded bullets. I would expect them to open real wide at high velocities and limit their penetration.

I heard the reason they are replacing the Hot Cor is that the Deep Curl is actually cheaper to make. Their accuracy is supposed to be on the level of a Matchking because the coper is plated so uniformly.

That's all i know about them. I'm going to try the 225s out of my 338 Federal for fun.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Terry Blauwkamp:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chop901:
Has anyone tried these bullets? QUOTE]

I took several Plains game animals recently with 180 gr Deep Curl bullets in my 30-06, AND...

I found that they are quite soft, so don't think tht they are a "Bonded Core" like TBBC, no way. They really act just like any of other cup and core bullet.

Terry,

Can you share a little more about what happened? I'm interested because I thought heavy for caliber Deep curls at moderate velocities would work pretty well on bigger animals than deer.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote