New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.8mm Rem. SPC?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just noticed in my new 2,005 Remington catalog that the Remington folks are offering a new Rifle cartridge called the 6.8mm Rem. SPC! Did this one slip by me - as I have heard nothing regarding it?
Anyone out there with info or a directiuon in which I may look - please advise!
I notice the only mention in the catalog is for four different loadings but all in 115 gr. bullets.
Again any info will be greatly appreciated.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VarmintGuy:
I just noticed in my new 2,005 Remington catalog that the Remington folks are offering a new Rifle cartridge called the 6.8mm Rem. SPC! Did this one slip by me - as I have heard nothing regarding it?
Anyone out there with info or a directiuon in which I may look - please advise!
I notice the only mention in the catalog is for four different loadings but all in 115 gr. bullets.
Again any info will be greatly appreciated.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

.270 designed for AR platforms. Like the 6.5 grendel, 458 SOCOM and .50 beowolf to give more medium-range knockdown power in an AR's.
Mixed reports on accuracy in other guns.
Have not shot one, anybody else?

There was an article in American Rifleman(?) a couple of months ago (or so?) on this cartridge and it's development.

JUST A TYPICAL WHITE GUY BITTERLY CLINGING TO GUNS AND RELIGION

Definition of HOPLOPHOBIA

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Flippy: Thank you for the answer and direction. I will see if I overlooked that article tonight!
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
It is based on the the now defunct 30 remington case necked to .277 as mentioned above made to use in the m16. instead of 30 rounds the clip holds 25. 50% more energy throughout its ballistic curve. This what what the m16 should have been in the beginning. the 6.5 version called the grendal might be slightly better, it looks like a great low recoil deer cartridge. sadly I bet the gun makers are too busy worried about making the wiz bang short mags

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The round was developed by a couple NCO's from the 5th Special Forces Group to give a bit more punch in the CQB and mid range arena. Not developed as a long range cartridge. Great for killing two legged varmints at ranges of 3-250 meters.

As mentioned above, the 6.5 Grendel is better at long range paper and ticket punching.

lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VarmintGuy:
Flippy: Thank you for the answer and direction. I will see if I overlooked that article tonight!
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

VarmintGuy, I looked through my back issues of AR (all the way back to mid-2002) and multitudes of other freakin' mags and I could not find it. I will look again tonight through some other mags (maybe Rifleshooter?) and let you know what, where, when. This always happens, need to get these back issues ORGANIZED...

I KNOW I have an article somewhere...

Not only is the Grendel better than the 6.8 at long range accuracy, some say it may be better than the .308 especially with VLD bullets.

"I'm the guy that originally wrote the 'assault weapons' ban." --- Former Vice President Joe Biden

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Flippy and Varmint Guy:

There was an article about the 6.8 SPC in one of the gun mags last fall ( 2004) on one being made on a CZ 527 action. The guy was using it with 110 grain V Maxes. He used it on deer and had a hit, but was also going to try it out on Elk, with the analogy that one of his bow hunting friends said it had more terminal performance that an arrow would have on Elk.

It was done by one of the lesser know gun writers and was done on one of the smaller, non Peterson owned hunting and shooting rags.

I see some hunting applications, especially for youths and women. ( light recoil). The best thing would be the availability of the old 30 Remington brass again. That was a good case for doing some wildcatting on varmint cartridges on.

I know of several gunsmiths doing AR 15 work with that case already.

Cheers
thunderbolt.

Posts: 70 | Location: Oregon USA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This months Guns & Ammo has a blurb about it.

David Fortier has written a few articles about it also.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
I think along with the added knockdown comes superior long range ballistics. I think the grandal is pretty impressive compared to the 223 rem. It leaves you scracting your head and wondering why wasn't developed sooner

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
Thanks lawndart. I am going to look for the original article but I will check out G&A article tonight.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes - Thanks all - I was just perplexed about this "NEW" cartridge (and obviously left out of the loop when the Remington folks were thinking about this cartridge!).
Well, again, good for Remington taking a chance on another new cartridge.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
Guns & Ammo, September 2004.

I KNEW I had it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
VarmintGuy,

Here's a link with quite a bit of info.
on AR15.com. 6.8 Thread Good Shooting, Bruce

Posts: 45 | Location: DFDubya Texas | Registered: 27 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The good news is that CZ is working on adapting its 527 to the 6.8 SPC.

My view is that if the 6.8 SPC lives up to its reputed ballistics, we have an equivalent to the .250-3000 that will fit in a .223 length action. That means a 250-300 yard deer cartridge. That also means an elk cartridge in the hands of experts.

This combination will put a genuinely lightweight rifle within the reach of most of us without going to pencil thin barrels. It is also a natural in the Mini Mauser.

It is a good citizen's duty to love the country and hate the gubmint.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
The most interesting part of the 6.8 SPC is that Barnes developed a 110 gr. TSX especially for it. That combination covers a lot of big game ground. JMO, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch:
The most interesting part of the 6.8 SPC is that Barnes developed a 110 gr. TSX especially for it. That combination covers a lot of big game ground. JMO, Dutch.

Think long-range "brush gun." An AR-15 for elk?
A few years ago this would hve been an oxy-moron.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I've been following this "new" cartridge a bit & just don't see the point. If they just necked up the .223 to 6.5mm, used 100-120gr bullets, seems like it would have given them the increased close range thump & more readily fit in the M4/M16 platform. You would get about 2400fps & 2300fps respectively from a 16"bbl.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ogive, Fred. There ain't much room for a bullet to stick out of a .223 case and still work through an M-16 mag. Your notion would work in an action that lets you seat them out.

To work through the magazine and still have the need powder capacity, they had to go to fatter shorter case.

It is a good citizen's duty to love the country and hate the gubmint.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Flippy,

The "AR15 for Elk" issue was solved several years ago by Marty Ter Weeme, with his 458 SOCOM.

http://www.teppojutsu.com/458.htm

15 rounds of a 300 gr. Barnes X at 2000fps should stop an elk, or a piggy. Might have some recoil from an AR, though..... Wink Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 25-223 has to grunt real hard to push a 100gr bullet at 2350fps, and is much happier pushing 72-75gr pills out at about 3000fps. I know larger caliber/equal weight bullets often exit a little faster, but then they get so stubby they have the lousy BC.
The 6.8spc, with a 115gr bullet, is probably optimum for the case size.
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
I've been following this "new" cartridge a bit & just don't see the point. If they just necked up the .223 to 6.5mm, used 100-120gr bullets, seems like it would have given them the increased close range thump & more readily fit in the M4/M16 platform. You would get about 2400fps & 2300fps respectively from a 16"bbl.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
It is about the same as the 7-30 Waters.

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Flippy,

The "AR15 for Elk" issue was solved several years ago by Marty Ter Weeme, with his 458 SOCOM.

http://www.teppojutsu.com/458.htm

15 rounds of a 300 gr. Barnes X at 2000fps should stop an elk, or a piggy. Might have some recoil from an AR, though..... Wink Dutch.

I am quite aware of the offering from Teppo Jetsu. The have several cartridges capable of short-to-medium range thump. I was thinking of the trajectory and sectional density of the .277 caliber bullet over the .458 SOCOM.

For close-range work, the 458 would definetly be another choice. That is what it was designed for, close up and personal spec-ops teams. It's just not a round I would choose for 100 yards and over. Wink

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I'm not so sure. The SOCOM may not be as flat, but it still is a 45/70 class cartridge. To say the 45/70 is not suitable for elk beyond 100 is arguing against a lot of history!

I'm pretty sure I won't choose to hunt elk with an SPC, even though I am very enthused about it's possibilities for deer. Maybe bow ranges for elk, if you had to. An over 100 yard elk shooter, the SPC is not, with less than 1400 fpe at 100. JMO, Dutch.

One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not so sure. The SOCOM may not be as flat, but it still is a 45/70 class cartridge. To say the 45/70 is not suitable for elk beyond 100 is arguing against a lot of history!

I'm pretty sure I won't choose to hunt elk with an SPC, even though I am very enthused about it's possibilities for deer. Maybe bow ranges for elk, if you had to. An over 100 yard elk shooter, the SPC is not, with less than 1400 fpe at 100. JMO, Dutch.

One could argue the point for the 30-30, 30-40 Krag, 35 Remington or any other of the "classic" cartridges as being suitable for elk at modest range. Because 70 years ago, they ARE what was used. (Not to say the 45-70 is in the same power class as the 30-30, but it is from the same era)

Plus, as a handloader, I can load the 45-70 to nearly match the 450 Marlin. At this power level, a 45-70 WILL kill anything in NA, and most of the African species as well.

The 458 SOCOM or any of the AR variants are pretty much maxed out at the levels they were developed at. It's hard to out hot-rod a hot-rod.

To be honest, I wouldn't use any of the AR variants to hunt elk. That's why I have a .338Win Mag. IT IS the right tool for elk...