New
Find
Notify
Tools

Factory 223 deer round
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Looking for advise on a factory 223 deer round for wife, have used 64 gr. power point Winchester, any other firsthand experence appriciated.

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I've used the 53 and 62 gr. Barnes TSX with good results. I handload but Corbon offers them in a factory load.

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used the 64 gr powerpoint in a handloaded 223 with good success. I played with other bullets but the Winchester bulk bullet shot as well or better than any of the other game bullets and I can afford to shoot them. I'd happily use the factory loaded round if I had to.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
WW 64gr is ok but the Corbon 53 TSX is hands down the best. The accuracy is better and the penetratioin is far superior.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Anyone tried the Federal loaded 60gr. Partition.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't hold a candle to the TSX ans accuracy was only maginal in a couple of different rifles.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
I have used the 55gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claws on deer and antelope, they work great out to about 150 yards of so. I just came into some of the 63gr versions of the same bullet, they should be even better. The lighter bullets rely on speed to do the work IMHO, a sight 7% or so increase in weight with an only 2% decrease in MV should not effect the outcome.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 840 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What exactly are you referring to when you mention TSX bullets?? For more than 45 years never even looked at bullets other than match bullets other than the old standby Remington Core Lokt bullet in '06 so I am definitely what you would say ignorant.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
dsiteman,

TSX = Barnes Triple Shock. Big Grin

Some rifles (but not all) shoot them like match bullets, and they're priced to make SMKs look cheap.

Still gotta try some of the 52gr's in my wife's CZ 527 carbine, it didn't like the 62gr's with it's 14" twist...

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Plain old 55 gr soft points in your ordinary discount store ammuntion rarely fail to drop a deer as quickly as any other caliber, and quicker than some.

Deer average a bit smaller than a man. Do you reckon anyone has ever been killed by a .223?

Posts: 13235 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Plain old 55 gr soft points in your ordinary discount store ammuntion rarely fail to drop a deer as quickly as any other caliber, and quicker than some.QUOTE]

FrownerWe're in different camps on this one! boohooroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek: I agree with you! I have seen many whitetails fall to the factory loaded 55 grain spire point in 223 Remington!
I the bullet is placed right behind the shoulder, the deer won't go far!

quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
Plain old 55 gr soft points in your ordinary discount store ammuntion rarely fail to drop a deer as quickly as any other caliber, and quicker than some.

Deer average a bit smaller than a man. Do you reckon anyone has ever been killed by a .223?

Chuck - Retired USAF- Life Member, NRA & NAHC

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the 60 gr. Hornady, both SP and HP in the 222 and 223 for culling African plainsgame and shooting deer and Antelope in the USA...It is about a perfect bullet and expands to nice little mushrooms every time and has good penetration..I have used it from point blank to probably 225 yards or a bit more..All my kids and grand kids learned to hunt with that load. I tried them all but finally settled on this bullet, it surprised me that it performed better than those mentioned. I did not expect it...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41850 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is a 22 centerfire cartridge even legal for deer?
I always thought the 243/6mm was the starting point for a big game cartridge.

Posts: 308 | Location: Durham Region Ont. Canada | Registered: 17 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I haven't used any of the factory offerings for deer in the .223. But have taken a few with the Barnes XLC .224 45gr solid copper coated boattail and it's worked out great. These are getting harder to find on the retail shelves and may be discontinued???

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think today I would use the Federal 62gr Tactical load, it is a Trophy Bonded Bearclaw bullet and I have some of them on hand. The Nosler Partition, would no doubt work well too.

I have killed 2 deer with the 223. First was with IMI Samson 63 gr Soft point, the second was with a reload using the Hornady 60gr hollow point, which, at the time, they stated it was a tougher bullet than the 60gr Soft Point.

Both deer went right down. Both were shot with a Steyr AUG. Eeker

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check the game regs where you're hunting.....some states don't allow 22 centerfires for deer....

I would recommend the Barnes bullet loads if you decide to use the .223.

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You neglected to mention rifling twist. It makes a difference. For a 1:12 barrel 55g SP work fine. Faster twist, go heavier. Big difference between a 1:7 barrel and a 1:12 and a significant difference on the in between.

Posts: 895 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by greenjoy:
I always thought the 243/6mm was the starting point for a big game cartridge.

A lot of whitetail aren't "big game."

Not too far East of Henly, myself.

Posts: 895 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CLK320:
Anyone tried the Federal loaded 60gr. Partition.

That's what I was going to suggest Federal Premium load with the 60gr Nosler partition.

p/n P223Q

If you just gotta try a body shot on a deer with a 223rem... with factory ammo....

Glenrock Components had a couple boxes of the 223 45gr XLC's on the shelf a week ago saturday
(though I don't know why because 223CF's aren't legal for Deer In WY)

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
The Barnes XLC’s are being phased out in lieu of the new TSX (as are most of the original X-bullets). The XLC’s coating was developed to address the copper fouling “problem†some rifles encountered with the original X-bullets. The new TSX has rings or grooves cut into the shank to allow displaced copper to flow reducing copper fouling.

TSX Information

I have loaded them in three different cartridges (30-06, 270Win, and 338 WinMag, not in .223 yet) and they have shown superb accuracy in at least 6 different rifles.

2 different 338's grouped well under 3/4" @ 100 yards (one was two virtually in the same hole with all three holes touching) for 3 shots and the others rifles were all under an inch @ 100.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MyNameIsEarl
posted Hide Post
I have killed four Couse Whitetail with plain ole 55 grain softpoints. But each one was put where it was suppose to go and did not need follow ups.

Posts: 751 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flippy:
The Barnes XLC’s are being phased out in lieu of the new TSX (as are most of the original X-bullets). The XLC’s coating was developed to address the copper fouling “problem†some rifles encountered with the original X-bullets. The new TSX has rings or grooves cut into the shank to allow displaced copper to flow reducing copper fouling.

TSX Information

I have loaded them in three different cartridges (30-06, 270Win, and 338 WinMag, not in .223 yet) and they have shown superb accuracy in at least 6 different rifles.

2 different 338's grouped well under 3/4" @ 100 yards (one was two virtually in the same hole with all three holes touching) for 3 shots and the others rifles were all under an inch @ 100.

"Phased out"? try "Discontinued"... about three years ago.

Any you find are "old stock" and rapidly approaching collector status.

thus why I told him where to find some if he REALLY wanted more.

Glenrock Components WILL ship stuff
and if he's interested I'll give him their adress and phone number.

What I'm looking for is another box of Barnes 223cal 40gr VLC varmint bullets, but not real seriously as my rifle likes several other bullets, my VSSF is pretty catholic in it's taste for bullets, it likes everything 55grains
or lighter. and LOVES the 40gr bullets, barnes, Nosler BT, Hornady V-max, it just doesn't seem to care.

But I've given up on H335 in this rifle I keep getting vertical stringing with H335, even with magnum primers, no issues at all with Benchmark, RL7 or IMR4198

AD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Flippy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Allan DeGroot:
quote:
Originally posted by Flippy:
The Barnes XLC’s are being phased out in lieu of the new TSX (as are most of the original X-bullets).

"Phased out"? try "Discontinued"... about three years ago.

Any you find are "old stock" and rapidly approaching collector status.

AD
Now maybe the 40g XLC’s truly were discontinued several years ago, and not phased out as they are currently not available in TSX (not even a 40g in Varmint Grenade, hmm?) but they had many weights of XLC available in different calibers and weights up until six or so months ago and there are still some listed on their website. The 225g .338 bullets are a steal @ $26.00. TSX’s in the same weight run $45.00 or more.

When I called Barnes a little over two years ago about a weight of TSX bullet which at that time was only available in XLC’s, the Production Manager at Barnes told me they were “discontinuing†production on most of the XLC line and they were phasing in the new TSX as XLC supplies ran out. During the last two years or so they also phased out the old X-Bullets and replaced them with the TSX line.

If the XLC’s were “discontinued†every weight of XLC that was phasing into TSX would have been available in TSX right away, but that was not the case.
Barnes more than likely used this transitional time to cull the slower movers out of the line.

Allan, if I run into some 40g XLC’s at a show I’ll pick them up for you.

---Mike

Posts: 1700 | Location: Lurking somewhere around SpringTucky Oregon | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the win 64gr pp bullet on deer with success.

*We Band of .338 ers*.NRA Member

Posts: 415 | Location: Milwaukee WI USA | Registered: 07 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not familiar with factory offerings but I killed a doe a couple of weeks ago with a Win 64g PP over Win 748 out of a .223. The distance was about 30 yards on a behind the shoulder broadside shot. The bullet passed completely thru and the deer ran about 30 yards and dropped dead. There was not much if any blood trail however; maybe if the deer had made it farther blood would have began to appear.

The .223 will certainly kill deer but I think it is important to 'select' your shot and wait for good target orientation. Larger, traditional deer rounds give more latitude with shot angles and undoubtedly leave better blood trails imo. Plateau Hunter

Posts: 171 | Location: Cannon Co., TN | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
About six months I put two Reds down with the 64 gr Winchesters. The first, a hind, hit behind the shoulder, travelled about twenty paces and died. The second, a spiker, hit in the kneck, dropped dead. Both animals were shot within 25 yards.
However, I prefer the 260 Remington. Whilst neither of these deer would have been despatched more effectively by the 260, others shot with the 260 would have not been attempted with the 223.

Posts: 1374 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote