THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Barrel twist on 243, New England Firearms. Anyone know?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel twist on 243, New England Firearms. Anyone know?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
My brothers handi rifle wont group at all. Patterns all over the place. I was thinking of scrubbing the bore with Barnes solvent. Anyone know the twist rate? I loaded 90 and 100 grain bullets and shoots all over the place. I was thinking maybe using lighter bullets. What do you think I should try first? Or the barrel is bad.

Posts: 529 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kennedy:
My brothers handi rifle wont group at all. Patterns all over the place. I was thinking of scrubbing the bore with Barnes solvent. Anyone know the twist rate? I loaded 90 and 100 grain bullets and shoots all over the place. I was thinking maybe using lighter bullets. What do you think I should try first? Or the barrel is bad.

I don't know what the twist is on the handy rifle for 243 Win, but the proper twist for 243 Win is 1 in ten inch. That twist should work for all the bullets you state, but especially for the 90, and 100 gr bullets!

………………………………………………………. old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alright

Posts: 529 | Location: S.E. Oregon | Registered: 27 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
H&R Handi Rilfe FAQ GBO Page. They say it's a 1:10 twist, and should work for your bullets. There are also plenty of tips for making the rifle shoot better.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a bunch

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Check the shelf lock up. Watch the lever that opens the action. When you close the gun slowly watch the lever for it to smartly SNAP up. If it doesn't the shelf needed requalifing. A correctly fitted shelf has a great impact on accuracy. From the shotgun pattern you describe it sounds
Like a shelf issue. Not at all uncommon for a handirifle.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
retighten the action to stock "screw" ??

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39691 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll check it out guys. Thanks.