Find
Notify
Tools

223 for Mule deer
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
17 RF ammunition is more expensive than 22 LR. Why not use a 22 to shoot Caribou in the water? It’s cheaper. bewildered

I can understand why they want a 17 caliber for the wolves though. Much less pelt damage.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I know what you mean. I just heard him talking about it, and I didn't question it, but was surprised. I presume the 22LR or mag would be popular too. I knew one guy who said he used the 22 to shoot the bou in the head while they swam across the river. He showed me some pictures of his boat with about six yearling caribou tied to the sides, as he was dragging them ashore.
KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Just thinking and wondering and I don’t know if any of my thoughts are right or not.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure if you guys realize that the Ruger Ranch Rifle and various AR's are highly sought and used in Alaska for different game including Caribou. If you don't believe me ask Phil Shoemaker. He has alot more experience than me.

ddj

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back - Robert Ruark

Posts: 966 | Location: Northwest Iowa | Registered: 10 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
My 223 worked this morning on a small mulie buck taken at 280-300 yards with a single shot of a 40g. Nosler BT at 3925fps. One wobbly step and then down dead. Should taste good as the hay fields were nearby.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TEANCUM:
My 223 worked this morning on a small mulie buck taken at 280-300 yards with a single shot of a 40g. Nosler BT at 3925fps. One wobbly step and then down dead. Should taste good as the hay fields were nearby.

Congrats on your hunt thumb

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TC1:
quote:
Originally posted by TEANCUM:

Congrats on your hunt thumb

Terry

Thanks TC1;

Enjoy your comments on these threads.

Many of them have made me laugh while sitting here at the screen, those usually directed toward Kaboom (aka "The Flock Shooter) and Hotsh$t (aka The Model 70 Ricochet rifleman).

Keep 'em up.

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
yeah Teancum...

congrats on making something work... that our forum 'armchair experts' denied should ever work....

it always gets me, the guys who think whatever they do is gospel...and anyone who deviates from that are idiots.. and anyone who agrees with them are fellow 'experts'...

dorks of a feather, flock together...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire2:
yeah Teancum...

congrats on making something work... that our forum 'armchair experts' denied should ever work....Not true at all!

it always gets me, the guys who think whatever they do is gospel...and anyone who deviates from that are idiots.. and anyone who agrees with them are fellow 'experts'...Again over statedand convoluted to boot

dorks ????????????!!?REALLY???... homer shocker

beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
yeah Teancum...

congrats on making something work... that our forum 'armchair experts' denied should ever work....

it always gets me, the guys who think whatever they do is gospel...and anyone who deviates from that are idiots.. and anyone who agrees with them are fellow 'experts'...

Exactly - well said.

As I recall, we have a good example of armchair expert who readily gives opinion on everything from shooting from helicopters, to big bores, having no such experience.

Looks like there is a good start on a Charlie Foxtrot of self-proclaimed experts right here, singing gospel in harmony, praising the 223 deity. Sounds like a bunch of coyotes howling at the moon to me, but it must be music to them.

Surely we can count on Teancum for three things - bragging on long head shots with his pea shooter varmint rifle, and silence on his shots that fail, and razzing others who are more candid that he.

So, I also say "congrats on making something work".

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sometimes people are so smart they can make a bad idea work.

So can I use my Contender in .22 Hornet?

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:

Only if you handload to 22 Mag equivilent. That will certainly give bragging rights. Wink

SR4759, I'll bet that you can calculate the velocity of that 40 gr bullet at 280-300 yds, starting out at 3950 fps. I'll bet it's not even running with the 22 hornet at the muzzel.

But of course one should be careful with math, because being able to make a point with it might, according to some of our "experts", make you an armchair expert. We have to be careful with mathmatical facts, don't we? Wink Certainly we wouldn't want to confuse the discussion with facts.

KB

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Looks like somebody's puss is still sore. rotflmo

Terry

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
OK, I calculated it using the Hornady website.

Per Midway specs, Nosler ballistic tip 40 gr .223 bullet = SD .114, BC = .221 (piss ant poor Big Grin)

MV = 3950
300 yd velocity = 2555

ME = 1386
300 yd energy = 580

plenty adequate for mule deer at 300 yds, head shots, right?

Midway also shows the Nosler factory load for the same bullet in the 22 hornet, with MV of 2850 fps.

Now, I suppose I'm a qualified armchair expert, since I don't use a 22 hornet or a 223.

However, I have been meaning to PM SR4759 and ask for his advice on how to down load my 7.62x39, so I can experience the joy of being underguned like the 223 & 22 hornet experts.

KB

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looks like somebody's puss is still sore. rotflmo
Terry

Yea, allegorically speaking.

However, having a sore puss, one soon recovers, and is ready for the next dick head to phuck with, metaphorically speaking. Wink

Whereas, being a puss like a certain person on this forum, is a condition which has no recovery, from which can be expected a lifetime of pissing, moaning, manipulation, etc., with but one redeeming quality, which is short lived.

KB

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
I see you're off your meds again.

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:

I wish I could copyright my punch lines, but I guess they are clichés.

KB

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
space

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
space

I see that your love of the last word has evolved. Now I see that you have adopted the cliché of a picture is worth a thousand words.

KB

one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kabluewy:
quote:

I wish I could copyright my punch lines, but I guess they are clichés.

KB

So, you think you coined this phase? I guess we can add delusions of grandeur to your mental state. rotflmo

Anyone that would think this is clever is in serious need of mental help.
Roll Eyes
quote:

Yea, allegorically speaking.

However, having a sore puss, one soon recovers, and is ready for the next dick head to phuck with, metaphorically speaking.

Whereas, being a puss like a certain person on this forum, is a condition which has no recovery, from which can be expected a lifetime of pissing, moaning, manipulation, etc., with but one redeeming quality, which is short lived.

KB
Whining about me whining, it's an interesting concept. bewildered

lying about me lying. Out of your mouth it carries no weight.

As far the last word goes we all know you can't control yourself. You'll have it and that's fine with me. You couldn't even stay off the .224 deer bullets/just the facts-PLEASE! where the guy all but ask you and bartsche not to post. Neither one of you could help yourselves from trolling. You've run your mouth about so many things you don't have a clue about and this thread is no different. You've lied and have been caught in your lies and tried to change your story on the fly. Of coarse we all saw through it. You've contradicted yourself so many times that you find yourself on both sides of the argument, funny stuff. You've lost all face and you think continuing to post here will some how bring it back and everybody will see the light. It's very entertaining but it ain't gonna happen.

You're up against several big problems. Your reading comprehension sucks. It's hard to argue a point you can't comprehend. I know you think you're doing a good job, but it's only in your own head. The other thing is you don't have a clue about what you're talking about. This is obvious to all.

Please, by all means, continue.

Terry

One of Us
Picture of gunmaker
posted Hide Post
Whereas, being a liberal like a certain person on this forum, is a condition which has no recovery, from which can be expected a lifetime of pissing, moaning, manipulation, etc.,

gunmaker
------------------
James Anderson Metalsmith & Stockmaker
WEB SITE

More Pics on FLICKR

Posts: 1861 | Location: Western South Dakota | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
quote:
yeah Teancum...

congrats on making something work... that our forum 'armchair experts' denied should ever work....Not true at all!

it always gets me, the guys who think whatever they do is gospel...and anyone who deviates from that are idiots.. and anyone who agrees with them are fellow 'experts'...Again over statedand convoluted to boot

dorks ????????????!!?REALLY???... homer shocker

beerroger

Roger,

I don't see where I mentioned your name or even inferred it...therefore there was no insinuation it applied to you... at least coming from me...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:

Recommending a 45 grain Barnes X bullet...
then Contact Hot Core...he'll give you his opinion ad nauseum of that combo...

so you'll have dinner and a show..

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
yeah Teancum...

Exactly - well said.

As I recall, we have a good example of armchair expert who readily gives opinion on everything from shooting from helicopters, to big bores, having no such experience.

Looks like there is a good start on a Charlie Foxtrot of self-proclaimed experts right here, singing gospel in harmony, praising the 223 deity. Sounds like a bunch of coyotes howling at the moon to me, but it must be music to them.

Surely we can count on Teancum for three things - bragging on long head shots with his pea shooter varmint rifle, and silence on his shots that fail, and razzing others who are more candid that he.

So, I also say "congrats on making something work".

KB

Hey flock shooter

I see that your panties are in a wand again.

Never said I shot the buck in the head. Rest wasn't steady enough at that distance so I poked him in the ribs. Love that sound of a high speed bullet stirring things up in the boiler room of a deer as it drifts back to you across the canyon. The autopsy revealed no exit and the area in front of the diaphragm was a red jello where the lungs used to be.

Again we see how quick your arm chair thinking kicks into gear without first engaging the clutch. You need to be careful, my little hunting buddy, you could pull a muscle as you reach around for your opinion.

Your getting better with your smack but still lack any major game.

Best of hunting wishes to you for the season.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lived in Germany for years. To get a German "Jagdschein" (hunting license), many months of classroom are required, formal testing as well as proficieny tests with firearms. Overall, the average German hunter is a FAR better shooter than what we see here.

The rule of thumb is not the caliber (although many hunts have a caliber minimum) but the energy at a certain distance to the target that is required. The generally accepted minimum for deer sized game (including the big red deer which would be a Mule deer equivalent) as well as hogs is a 6.5 (usually x 55, x 57R, x 65R,
x 68R). Most often, the 7mm, 8mm, 30 calibers and the 9.3 variants are the norm. Sounds sensible to me...and this in a country where a certain ability to shoot is reqired to get a hunting license.

IMO, the topic of shooting the biggest game with the smallest possible caliber is not about hunting...its about bragging rights and sport. Personally, hunting is not about sport its about effective harvesting of game. Under all conditions, more energy will always harvest game more effectively given proper equipment.

Posts: 1319 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
Back to the original post--I wonder if these were all "one shot" kills?

I suppose if you poke enough holes in um, even really small holes, they will die.

My last thought: How many of you guys will be hunting from a helicopter this year?

Smiler

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Low Wall:
Fasteel
I know very little about CWD ... Can it be transmitted to livestock and is that why they are doing the cull..
I asked a colorado fishery biologist in charge of the co wildlife station in grand junction,co about an article in OL concerning cwd,he immediately inferred I was a lay person and shouldn't pay attention to magazine articles,it was written by the expert biologists from wyoming and colorado.I countered explaining I was a graduate wildlife mgt biologist then I got lots of information.At a SHOT show in Las Vegas I asked a wyoming game biologist questions about any cwd crossover to other ungulates.He said they put a hereford in a pen with elk and deer infected with cwd the elk and deer died but the hereford exhibited no signs of cwd,in another experiment an antelope was introduced into a pen with cwd infected deer and elk,they died but the antelope remained in perfect health.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]I asked a colorado fishery biologist in charge of the co wildlife station in grand junction,co about an article in OL concerning cwd,he immediately inferred I was a lay person and shouldn't pay attention to magazine articles,it was written by the expert biologists from wyoming and colorado.I countered explaining I was a graduate wildlife mgt biologist then I got lots of information.At a SHOT show in Las Vegas I asked a wyoming game biologist questions about any cwd crossover to other ungulates.He said they put a hereford in a pen with elk and deer infected with cwd the elk and deer died but the hereford exhibited no signs of cwd,in another experiment an antelope was introduced into a pen with cwd infected deer and elk,they died but the antelope remained in perfect health.[/QUOTE]

Interesting scr83jp. Thanks for the info.