New
Find
Notify
Tools

22-250 loads and bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I finally plan on getting my Heavy Fluted barrel Savage 22-250 out and shooting. It is the newer model with the Acra Trigger. Before I spend a lot of time I have a question as I never loaded for this caliber before. Please give me some great loads to start with and are the custom bullets such as Bergers a good way to go? This will just be used for paper punching

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6636 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I like Rl 7 and IMR 3031 with bullets from 50 to 55 grains for accuracy. Load data is from the Lyman 47th edition manual.

All of the polymer tip bullets do a good job for accuracy, as well as the match bullets. I can't see any gains in the Bergers etc, except the higher price.

enjoy it. Mine are not lucky enough to just enjoy paper punching. Mine work in the field to earn their keep a lot.

Cheers
seafire
thumb

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe: I have had great luck with most all the 22-250's I heve ever owned - accuracy wise! All of them except one and it was a Ruger #1-B - oh well.
I highly recommend you try the fine Sierra 52 gr. Match bullets. These shoot well in most all 22-250's but are not an acceptable Colony Varmint bullet due to their VERY high ricochet factor!
Another common bullet I have had good luck with is the Speer 52 gr. hollow-point flat base bullets!
I tend to disagree somewhat with my good friend Seafire/B17G on the Berger bullets! They have been for me - VERY pleasing accuracy wise in a couple of my 22-250's (and in several other 22 caliber Varminters of mine).
They are pricey and hard to find at times but if you are intent on pleasing yourself at the range then the Bergers should be tried! I recently bought some Berger 52 grainers at a Cabelas store in Kansas.
Good luck with your 22-250 and I hope your rig likes the Sierra 52's! That would simplify things a lot!
IMR 4064 powder has worked well for me in many of my 22-250's by the way!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
40gns of 760 with the 52gn Sierra is worth a look . Work up from about 38 gns though .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Freebird_AL
posted Hide Post
No reason to beat yourself up on the price of bullets Snowwolfe! Try some MidwayUSA Dogtown 22 Caliber (224 Diameter) 55 Grain Spitzer Flat Base. Think you will find they shoot just as well as others twice the price!

Also try 34.5 to 35.5 grains of IMR 4895 with Standard primers like cci 200 Large Rifle with the 55-grain Dogtown pill or 35.5 to 36.5 grains of H380 with the 55grain Dogtown pill . Both have given me extremely accurate loads. Personaly I have found the 55-grain bullet is perhaps the optimum weight for the .22-250 cartridge. It will shoot flatter at 300+ yards than the 50 and 52 grain bullets.

Wouldn't you know it! Some smart ass punk from Colorado stirring up shtuff...DaMan! homer Dumbman

Posts: 2590 | Location: LA | Registered: 04 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A lot of shooters, including me, have independently settled on 35 or 35.5 grains of (either brand of) 4895 with a 55 grain bullet as a go-to load in the .22-250. A friend has just bought a new Weatherby Predator in this caliber and we're going to try this combination in it this weekend. Will let you know how it does.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
52 gr. sierra/Hornady in front of 36 gr. H380. Tremendous groups out to 300 yds.

Posts: 665 | Location: The Great North | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
using 50gr vmax 37gr ADI 2208 (varget). This load is ok in my rifle, i suggest drop back at least 2gn and work up.
55gr 35.5gr ADI 2208 Varget. These are safe in my rifle.

cheers cc

Posts: 191 | Location: Australia | Registered: 17 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My best load using the Berger 52gr. HP is propelled by IMR4064 34.1grs. It groups .24" in my rifle with a velocity of 3500fps. It'll go much faster, but I have no desire to burn out this Hart SS varmint rifle. These things are kind of pricey. For accuracy it's better with the Siera 52gr HPBT which groups at .216" in my rifle with the same powder loads. You can't go wrong with a .22-250. Mine has been a winner from the getgo. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Stonecreek 35.5grn of (I use IMR) 4895,I use the 210m's with this load (3645fps Approx)

Posts: 76 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 02 May 2002Reply With Quote