New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem Classic 221
 Login/Join

<seven17>
posted
Did I read that right? The classic 700 for 2002 is going to be a 700 "extra short" action? Sounds interesting. I can't see them tooling up for that unless it will be used again later. Maybe they will do the Mach 4 next? What do you guys hear? Maybe I got a bum rumor.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey 7-17,

http://www.remington.com/firearms/centerfire/fi_700classic.htm

that link should clear everything up quite nicely. As for using it again later, i dunno...Their classic line usually contains some odd-job round from yester-year. For example the 1998 Classic was in 8mm Rem Mag. I know of no one, save a few 8mm crumudgens like myself, that'd have an interest to support producing the line, yet they tooled up just the same

------------------
When in doubt, do a nuclear strike.

Posts: 1723 | Location: wyo | Registered: 03 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
The 700 only comes in two lengths. Medium(308Win)and Magnum(375H&H).

The myriad of chamberings,available within those two lengths,only requires different followers(and a mag box spacer,in the case of the 223).

As far as "tooling up",for the 221. All that is required,is the reamer. The rest remains the same. Nothing novel,nor special,to make the 221 Classic transition.

It's a 17Rem Classic or 223Rem Classic,with a different barrel.............

<seven17>
posted
Thanks guys,
I probably should explain in more detail what I was refering to. In Shooting Illustrated, that I picked up the other day, there is a sentence in the 2001 Shot Show section I found interesting. "This year is even more special because in addition to the unusual caliber, .221 fireball,...Remington has made a special run of extra short-action 700s to match this diminutive caliber." Have they made this length before? It doesn't sound like the model 7, which could have been made to work I suppose. I don't know if I'm supposed to mention publication names here or not, but I did so as it's the only source I had. Phil

<Big Stick>
posted
They just made the mag box spacer larger and did something with the bolt stop,would be my guess. I've been drooling over the thought of a true 223 length 700 action,for years. I WISH they'd do it.

The Model Seven has the exact mag box dimensions of a 700 short. The 223 in that offering is converted in the same fashion,via the mag box spacer.
Though it is of shorter length,the magazine isn't different.

I'm guessing the article was "twisting" the facts. "New action" to them,isn't what I'd call it. "New" shortened magazine and reworked 308 length,700 short action,would be more appropriate.

I'd LOVE to be wrong...............

<seven17>
posted
Big Stick,
You are probably right. It seems an expensive undertaking to produce a new receiver unless there are also future plans for it. With all this short fat theory going around I was really thinking there could be a shorter 700 in the works. The Mach 4 people would love it of course!

<re5513>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by seven17:
Big Stick,
You are probably right. It seems an expensive undertaking to produce a new receiver unless there are also future plans for it. With all this short fat theory going around I was really thinking there could be a shorter 700 in the works. The Mach 4 people would love it of course!

Having just returned from SHOT with the M700 classic 2002 on my dance card I can probably add a bit. The action is simply the M700 short action. THe magazine contains a spacer to the rear that allows the action to feed such a small cartridge. For the most part it's a standard M700 with a satin finish on the wood stock. As a "classic" it has the same external finish as in previous years. Of note though is that the barrel length is 24" with a standard sporter profile.

I agree that it would be nice to have a .223 class M700 action (akin to the old Sako AI or Interarms mini-mark X. This year's M700 classic is a full size short action rifle. It could just as easily be a .308.

Still.... for those of us who have interest in the .221 Fireball chambered in a rifle this one deserves notice. Aside from custom and semi-custom makers such as Cooper and Kimber the .221 has never been chambered in a major manufacturers rifle.

A few years ago I had chatted with a Ruger engineer about chambering their M77/22VHZ varmint rifle in .221 fireball but the pressures of the cartridge exceed the specs of the small ruger action. That would be the right kind of form factor. Still, the M700 is a great action to chamber in that cartridge as it is overkill for it in almost every regard - yielding a very accurate and usable rilfe.

Good luck!
re5513