THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    22 Hornet - which diameter barrel.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 Hornet - which diameter barrel.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have had the go ahead for a new project to take a Rook rifle that was bored out to 410 shotgun to relign as a 22 Hornet. I have a choice of two barrels. One is a 223 diameter bore which is the original size for the 22 Hornet with a 1 in 16.4” twist. Or a .224 diameter with a 1 in 12” twist which used in modern 22 Hornets as well as the .223 and .222 etc.

Principle reason for the .224 is the much wider availability of bullets in particular 30 to 40gn copper bullets. Here in the UK many places are going lead free for all game and vermin shooting.

Collective thoughts please from AR fraternity.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would use the "modern" .224 with its' 1-12 twist. FWIW, I had an older (.223 bore) Savage that could not tell the difference between 223 and 224 bullets.

Posts: 698 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym SR20:

Principle reason for the .224 is the much wider availability of bullets in particular 30 to 40gn copper bullets. Here in the UK many places are going lead free for all game and vermin shooting.

That's your answer.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks gents, great minds are all thinking alike

one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Given that nearly all bullets available today for either diameter are longer than the original 45 grain semi-pointed cup-and-core bullets used in the 'old days', I'd say go with the faster twist barrel no matter what diameter it is.

Posts: 967 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the faster twist rate.

Posts: 467 | Location: South Africa | Registered: 28 April 2020Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
224 1x12, least you will have ammo and component problems in this day and time..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A .223" groove diameter will digest .224" bullets without a problem -- sometimes with better accuracy than a .223" bullet.

The 1-16" pitch is fully adequate for conventional cup-and-core jacketed lead bullets of 50 grains or less. I can't imagine wishing to shoot a heavier bullet in a Hornet.

Bottom line: I doubt you would find any difference in the performance of either barrel due to its groove diameter or twist. Other qualities may favor one over the other.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The cz 527 was advertised with a 1:16 twist. These rifles are tack drivers and shoot the 35 gr bullets very well. I shoot a 35 gr vmax. I hear they also do well with lead free bullets.

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a bull barrel 22.250 with a 1-14 twist rate, and it was golden with 55 grain bullets. The previous owner shot hand loads to 68 grains to meet the Missouri bullet weight requirement for 22 caliber on deer. That is supposed to be too heavy a bullet for 1-14 but it shot just fine.

Posts: 15866 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your thoughts gentlemen. Have gone with the .224 1 in 12” option so I keep as much flexibility as possible.

one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Interesting discussion gents. I believe you made the right choice as to diameter and twist if you like. The 16 twist is fine for most Hornet bullets. I have 3 Hornets, 2 are pre war Savages one a Model 23 D Delux, and the other a Model 19. The other Hornet is a Model 43 Winchester 50's vintage and obviously a 224 barrel. Most pre war Hornets were .223. Bottom line here, I find no difference shooting 224 bullets in them all. 35 Grain V-Max's with Lil Gun in 2, and the other 34 Grain Varmint Grenades with Lil Gun.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote