New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Need help designing a crimp die
 Login/Join

Picture of Mark
posted
I still might buy my own dies too! But this has been a fun project for me, even though it has taken way to long. I have had the bushings recommended to me before too but if I'm not going to make all of the die then I might as well buy a set, I wouldn't feel right claiming to have made the dies when all I did was make a glorified holder for a bushing manufactured by someone else.

To be honest, in a moment of weakness I even called CH4D but they are out of stock of 20 tactical dies and won't make any more until November. So I took that as a sign from above that I'm supposed to keep plodding along here and get mine built with my own hands, I just don't have the extra hours in the day now to do the trial and error associated with something new, and I know someone out there has the answers to these simple questions.

Well simple to them maybe but not to me at the moment!

On a related topic, if someone has a set of 20 tactical dies I could borrow for a week I could work up a load for this gun of mine and get enough rounds made so I could actually use it while I'm puttering around with this other stuff. If there is ssomeone with a set out there, please send me a PM and maybe we could work something out.

Thanks.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I posted this in the reloading forum and no bites, can anyone here help?

I am making a crimp die for the 20 Tactical, the neck OD is .233 and of course the bullet is .204

I am thinking af making a tapered reamer for the crimping die, but I am just guessing here. What I am thinking of is making a die with a tapered section of .240 or so and going down to .204 (will probably make it .205)

What length should I make this taper? I am thinking 1/4" but a longer one would give me more control in varying the degree of crimp. Rather than go with a random length, should I aim for an certain degree of angle instead? Also, if there is a better way please point me in the proper direction. Any help appreciated as I am a virgin in this neck of the woods.....

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Post it on Saubier's. Dan C just modified a Lee die to accept Redding Bushings. It looks really nice. Another guy over there makes his own custom dies. I would call Redding. Maybe pick up a bushing from them. Modify your die to neck down your brass using the bushing. If you need more or less tension, you can make new bushings. Just a WAG. I buy my dies.