Find
Notify
Tools

6mm/3030?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i
Has anybody tried to make a wildcat like this for light weight break open or singleshot guns?
Danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Elliot Viker>
posted
I think that ABCO (E. Arthor Brown) in MN has a line of benchrest magnum I think this is what they call them designed for Thompson Contenders and their own single shot action the name eludes me right now, but I am shure that they use the 30-30 for the parent case for thier line. I am shure they have a 6mm and a 6.5mm. They have a web page and I am shure you could get information there.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sure that Don Bower could give you all the info. you'd ever need on that line, and then some. Call Denver information. His #'s listed. It'd be well worth your time. In fact he might just have some other suggestions as well.

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JOE MACK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Pay:
i
Has anybody tried to make a wildcat like this for light weight break open or singleshot guns?
Danny

Mr. Pay,

Go to www.bullberry.com and check things out. Fred has the 6mmBullberry and 6mmBullberry Improved. Both are based on the .30-.30Winchester case. They are both in the loads section. FYI. RKBA!

Posts: 403 | Location: PRK | Registered: 20 April 2003Reply With Quote
<PaulS>
posted
DannyPay,
I have a 30-30 x6mm that is a basic 30-30 cartridge necked down to 6mm in a Thompson TCR. I had to have the reamers and dies custom made. It is a 3000 fps tack driver with 85 grain bullets. Fast enough to use on deer and accurate enough to use on prairie dogs. The cartridge has been registered in my name.

PaulS

one of us
posted Hide Post
These rounds were listed in COTW editions back in the early 70's.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
<PaulS>
posted
Art,
I was told that this cartridge had never been registered and that I should do so - and I did.

PaulS

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ackley did this one a long time ago based on an improved form of the 30-30. It is essentially equal to the .243 Win.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Danny,
In the old Ackley book, he mentions this cartridge and indicated that it was about ideal for a 6 mm bore. He liked efficiency the way I appreciate it.

I would definitely consider something like this for a break open or single shot.
The brass is cheap, atleast in the USA, and plentiful. I live handloading the 30/30 case a lot.

You might also want to check out the old 25/35 Winchester. A 30/30 necked to 25 caliber.
This combo was the most accurate factory loaded cartridges out of that case. I am sure a 6mm ( 24 caliber) version would be just as accurate. [Razz]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don Bowers 6mm cartridge is based off of the 307win case not the 30 30 its called the 6mm super Bower and will send 100gr @2500 or 60's about 3000fps in a 14" contender.

Posts: 68 | Location: Snohomish, Wa | Registered: 01 February 2002Reply With Quote
<PaulS>
posted
Guys,
The cartridge that I registered is nothing more than a 30-30 necked down to 6mm. No sholder angle change, no purposful change in neck length (it is shorter only because the change in neck diameter).
It is similar to the old 6mm Wasp except that the Wasp was shortened, straightened, and the shoulder angle increased. With the 6mm-30 you just push a 30-30 case into the forming die to neck it down until the new neck blends with the original shoulder angle. Load it with 32.1 grains of IMR 4064, a CCI 200 primer, and top it off with a Sierra 85 grain spitzer. Just over 3000 fps and the largest group I ever recorded was .6" at 100 yards with the smallest size under one caliber.

PaulS

<T. D. Clevenger>
posted
The various transmutations of the 30-30/243 are apparently all very useful in single shots that like rims.
I presently use the 6mm Bullberry Imp. as my 30-30 reform for 6mm use. It is very accurate and to my eyes a great looking cartride. I bought a condender carbine barrel so chambered and it makes a light-accurate-deadly walking varminter rifle.
Also worth consideration is the 303/243. It will out-speed the 243 if used in the Epps version and also has the useful rim. Mine is chambered in a Martini Henry sporter.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 6mm/303 was the British Commonwealth equivalent of the 6mm/30-30. I understand it was very popular in Australia at one time.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of muskrat
posted Hide Post
seems to me that Todd Kindler of small caliber news has a whole line of cartridges made from 30-30 necked down.i can't remember what issue of his magazine it was in though??? maybe our host Saeeb will remember? Todd also runs the Woodchuck Den.he sells a lot of quality shooting and reloading items on his website.
muskrat
live free or die,but with guns in hand!

Posts: 287 | Location: central ohio | Registered: 05 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Todd Kindler 6mm-.30-30 was dubbed the 6mm Classic. It appeared in the March 2001 issue (I guess that would be Spring) of the Small Caliber News.
Regards,
HockeyPuck

Posts: 235 | Location: Ladson, SC, USA | Registered: 02 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Done, namely the German 6x52 R Bretschneider (same basic case as .22 Savage HP and .25-35). I think it's plainly superfluous, but it enjoys a modest popularity as a roe deer cartridge. Might be useable for whitetail in the Eastern USA ?

Regards,
Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi carcano
is This 6mm"beritsnider" loaded by factory in germany or is just a reloading option?
regards
danny

Posts: 1127 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is a wildcat, but Ing. Bretschneider offers loaded ammo for sale, too.

Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The E. Arthur Brown version is called the 6.5BRM(bench rest magnum). Its almost identical in capacity and performance to the 6.5JDJ. Don't have personal knowledge of the 6mm version.

[ 06-20-2003, 05:39: Message edited by: Hillbilly Hunter ]

Posts: 73 | Location: Huron, Tn | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of whiplash
posted Hide Post
That web-site that somebody was looking for was www.eabco.com, hope this wasnt to late. Those calibers also has my gears turning...

Posts: 158 | Location: Grand View, Idaho | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kindler just wrote about a 6mm and 6.5 in an encore. They are in the last SCN. They are call the classic line and are done from 22-28cal. 30-30 shortend and blown out. Sounds much like making a K-Hornet. Just load and shoot, make brass while hunting. I have case demensions and some loads from the mag if anyone is interested.