THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    Is there a need for an intermediate .35?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is there a need for an intermediate .35?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Factory loads for the .35 Remington push a 200 grain bullet at 2020-2080 on the load charts.

Factory Remington loads for the .35 Whelen push a 200 grain bullet at 2675.

Pretty big jump from 2100 to 2700. The old .356 Winchester used to fill this void (with round nose bullets for tubular magazines) but its all but gone.

Factory Hanson 8x57 Mauser in 198 grain book velocities at 2300, which leads me to believe if you necked this .323 to a .358, a 57mm long cartridge, you could pretty easily get velocites in the 2400-2500 range with handloads (of course). The 9x57 Mauser which is commercially loaded in Europe up to at least 245 grain bullets at 2310, which is a .356 bullet. There is a greater supply of .35 caliber bullets in the US for handloaded than 9mm rifle though, which leans me towards the wildcat .358x57 vs the commercially loaded but hard to get .356x57.

I dont know, maybe I am trying too hard to create a need I could just go with a 9x57 since I'm going to have to handload the wildcats anyway, but the bullet availability is so much better with the .35

Posts: 510 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you reload, the .35 Whelen is pretty versatile and can easily fill your "mid-power" requirement.

I've shot a slew of whitetails with mine, using the Speer 180FP at about 2,500 FPS. A slightly reduced load, recoil is very mild, accuracy good and bullet performance is good without being as destructive as the same bullet at maximum velocity. I also shot a lot of Hornady 200SP's, but they are a little harder and I felt better driving them faster. I've been using full power 225 BT's lately, but don't shoot anything larger than deer, so haven't needed "premium" bullets.

Posts: 588 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Seems like the 358 win will fit the bill w/o having to get exspensive custom dies. I think it is also a round better suited to cast bullet shooting then the whelen, due to it's capacity being better matched to the desired velocities for cast shooting.

My 2 cents

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Dr. Lou, Personally I think the .358 had a lot to offer.I also am a 35 caliber advocate. Sadly the general shooting public has gone lukewarm to cold on 35s through the years. Remington's little 35 mag in the mod. 600,Winchester with the 358 and Norma's beautiful 35 mag. are great cartridges that never caught on to any extent. The real void in 35cal. that I'm afraid will never be filled is SALES. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Remington's new 6__ Guide Rifle is offered in .350 Rem Mag. Hopefully this will help rekindle the .35 in the US.

Posts: 510 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Bartsche, thanks for the note. I'd like to see the big manufactures make a run of 358 Win, etc., to see how they sell. I know they will not do it just because I think it's a good idea; they would have to determine if a market exist for the 35s. Is there a market big enough to make it pencil out, who knows. Reading AR and other related forums, I believe manufactures could sell a lot of 35 caliber rifles, particularly in 35 Rem, 358 Win., 35 Whelen, etc. Unfortunately, unless it's a superwizbang magnum, long or short, it probably won't be considered. Nonetheless, there are still many of us who know what these cartridges bring to the table in terms of real-world performance and game, despite what their paper ballisitcs may show. I'd like to know how many model 700s in 35 Rem and 350 Rem mag Remington's custom shop turns out each year. Since they've re-introduced rifles in 350 mag, perhaps there is a chance other manufactures will follow with some of the old 35s. I won't hold my breath. Lou

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote