New
Find
Notify
Tools

35 brown whelen/310 woodleigh
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have a load they'd like to share?
I'm using H4350 in reformed win 3006 brass for up to 2400fps out of a 22" barrel.This load was to hot and backed off a few grains to 2350fps.H4831sc seems to be too slow as a full case yields only 2200fps with no pressure signs.
Just wondering if anyone is trying something different with this bullet/case combo.

Steve

Posts: 182 | Location: On the Yentna River, Ak. | Registered: 23 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your figures sounds right......

If you are duplicating Rigbys 400/350 with the woodleighs 310 grainer( 22ooFt/Sec), you should have something that would be good for any african non-dangerous game....isn´t that good enough?? Wink

A 35 Wheelchair Wink is not a longrange performer anyway, so you might aswell take use of the "heavy for caliber" bullets, so pushing it to the outter limit is only gonna wear/tare on you rifle and health Cool

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you Jens for your reply.I agree with you completely that 2200fps is enough.So is 2350fps for all North American game and most African game.It always was and always will be.
If you have any load data for the 35 Brown Whelen you would like to share,such as different powders,brass,primers,velocity,and group sizes please do, as I am very interested in what others have been doing with this wildcat.
I have found a 100fps to 150fps gain over the standard whelen in most bullet weights.

Steve

Posts: 182 | Location: On the Yentna River, Ak. | Registered: 23 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ivan
posted Hide Post
Yentna

I have a bastardized '35 BW'... mine started life as a 9x57 mauser, the guy I bought it from ran a reamer in it and made it a 9mm Brown Whelen. I run my bullets throug a sizer to bring them down to .356. I don't have any load data here with me, but have found that its pretty much 100fps over a standard whelen. I only shoot 250gr Honady's in mine, but am going to dink around with some light 200gr remingtons I have lying around. I've had pretty good luck with IMR 4064 and RL 15. I shoot these in my 375 so I had them on hand, not sure if there is anything better or not. I can get around 1" groups with both and find that more than adequte for what I'll ever do with the rifle.

I plan on doing some more load work this summer/fall if I find time. Have a couple other rifles to get sorted out first. Smiler

Posts: 576 | Location: The Green Fields | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ivan

I've also used RL15 with 250gr hornady's and 250gr nos/par.Up to 62gr looked great,no pressure signs,velocity around 2620fps,and groups around 1.5" to 1.75".I fully expected the groups to shrink as the velocity increased but 63gr gave me flat primers and a sticky bolt.At that point I switched to the slower burning H4350 for 250gr bullets.Very accurate with good velocity.
From what I can tell the 35 Brown Whelen would do well with a powder between RL15 and H4350 when loading for 250gr bullets.
Let us know how the 200gr Rem. shoot.It should make a fine deer load.

Steve

one of us
posted Hide Post
Case capacity of the Brown-Whelen would pretty much match the 9.3x62 wouldn't it?
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Con
I believe its slightly larger.Very little taper in the case with the shoulders moved forward.I'm not sure about the case vol.but I did measure the win cases and rem cases in grains of water a few years back.Can't remember the numbers now but I do remember that the win case held about 3gr more than the rem case and both held more than the published volumes of the 9.3x62 case.

Steve