THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    .30 Subsonic - 300 Whisper or 7.62x39(.308 bore)

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.30 Subsonic - 300 Whisper or 7.62x39(.308 bore)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm building a new rifle and want something subsonic. I'm torn between two calibers and would like some more pros and cons if I'm missing any.

We'll start with the 300 Whisper.
Very accurate subsonic round.
No need to use filler in the case.
Dies, barrels, brass avalible.
Limited factory ammo.
Dies and brass are expensive.

And for the 7.62x39.
Very popular round.
Could use surplus in a pinch.
Need filler in the case.
Brass must be modified for subsonic, can't be used for supersonic after modified.

These are just some of the thing I've been thinking about. I would like to be able to load supersonic if needed. The rifle is a Savage 10, I don't want to buy both barrels because I'm going to spend alot of loot on a very nice tube. I like the Whisper because its a wildcat, well not really anymore. I have everything but the barrel.

I'm not asking what one should I build, only I can spend my money, but what am I missing? If anything. Thanks for your help.

Bobby

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Posts: 92 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: 22 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Why must the brass of the 7.62x39 be modified for subsonic?

Matthew

Posts: 383 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 May 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
so build the 7.62x39, .308 barrel.. or buy a ruger 77 so chambered, and buy quickload ...

you do not need to use filler in the case, nor modify it for subsonic ... and using filler is a trivial action .. takes all of 10 seconds...

lee dies used to come with 308 and 311 stuff ...

you will be done and dusted in 2 months, for less than the cost of buying the whisper stuff from ssk.

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have loaded the x39 subsonic in the past and drilling the flashholes to 9/32nds was recomened to help prevent secondary explosion effect. I never tried it without drilling the flashholes.

I have RCBS x39 dies with both .308 and .311 expanders.

I guess I worded it wrong, do to the copyright on the Whisper name it would be a 300/221. Both Douglass and Shilen offer 300/221 chambering in a prefited Savage barrel.

Bobby

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
okay .. never heard of that drilling thing to be subsonic .. i wouldn't do it..

go to walmart and get a bag of pillow stuffing for 2.99 .. that will last you a life time

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are a few sites on the x39 subsonic that talk about it. The larger flash hole allows more of the primer flame to contact the powder for a more consistent ignition. How much of this is true or necessary I don't know. The subs I have loaded with the drilled flash holes performed awsome, very little velocity spread and no delayed ignitions or signs of SEE. They were a project to see if I could get a modified AK to cycle with sub's. It worked, kinda, would cycle about 4-7 rounds at a time and than fail to eject.

Bobby

Administrator
posted Hide Post

Posts: 68788 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Saeed.

Bobby

One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
I recieved similar advise to drill out the flash holes but I understood it to be because the initial pressure of the primer flash was higher that the pressure in the case and "may" cause the case to move forward in the chamber and consequently shorten it causing excessive headspace. This may or may not be relevant but a lot of the guys on the castboolit forum who shoot subsonic advocate this practice.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had the .300 Whisper, wish I kept it now, it was a wonderful caliber..Not surprising, its got a great lineage.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of .404
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ 7.62x39 and use Trail Boss loaded to 1000 to 1100 fps with a fat cast bullet of about 160 grains.Not being able to own a silencer in this state,it works good enough,sounds like a .22 going off...

I pray for mud on my boots the day I die...
Go see the nights of Africa.....

Posts: 208 | Location: back home in the Tarheel state | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my opinion the .300 Whisper or 300/221 is a better selection than a subsonic 7.62x39. There are a number of reasons, first you are using a Savage model 10? What bolt face does it have? If it is currently a .223, you will be able to switch back and forth between the two by simply switching the barrel. Also, you can load .300 whisper to a supersonic load depending on what bullet selection you use.

Dies are no more expensive than say a 6.5x47 and brass is not overly expensive to purchase, though time consuming to make.

Be sure to get a 1/8 twist barrel for use with heavier bullets.

-myers

Nathaniel Myers
Myers Arms LLC
nathaniel@myersarms.com
www.myersarms.com
Follow us on Instagram and YouTube

I buy Mauser actions, parts, micrometers, tools, calipers, etc. Specifically looking for pre-WWII Mauser tools.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 06 June 2010Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
i built a 7,62x25 on a destoyer .. with a 1:8 twist, just for playing

476AR,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
All you need is a 100 brass cases and each will last at least a dozen firings.

Posts: 2268 | Location: Westchester, NY, USA | Registered: 02 July 2007Reply With Quote