THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    Re: 222 Rimmed - what is parent case/where to find????

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 222 Rimmed - what is parent case/where to find????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
.222 Rimmed is easily formed of 5,6x50 R brass available from RWS Germany. If you are looking for a rimmed 5,6/.224" ctg. take the 5,6x50 R.
Regards

Posts: 26 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can anyone tell me where I can find 222 Rimmed cases? Do they still exist or can they be made from another parent case? Never heard of a 222 Rimmed before.

Posts: 179 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 26 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 222 rimmed is still available, I bought some not too long ago from Midway (I think)BUT they are expensive compared to the regular 222.

The 222 rimmed was very popular to convert Martini actioned single shots. The cases are mostly from Austrailia.

Marcos

Posts: 143 | Location: Chula Vista, California, USA | Registered: 05 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear 7-30,
The 222R cases are available from Bertram and their distributors. I have made several of the little Cadet Martinis 310s into this case. It used to be a favorite in Australia. The cases seem to be well made and last good. I just cut the rim[flange] first in the barrel and then chamber with a standard 222 Rem reamer to depth. Makes a nice round for the little Martini and such.

Aloha, Mark [in Or]

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How expensive are the cadet 310 martinis cases? 222 Rimmed cases from Betrem are $20/20 cases

Posts: 179 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 26 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can make .310 Cadet cartridges out of .32-20 cases, so why not the .222R? The .218 Bee is, after all, a necked down .32-20.

I haven't tried this. Just a thought.

Posts: 142 | Location: southwest Missouri | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
Quote:

You can make .310 Cadet cartridges out of .32-20 cases, so why not the .222R? The .218 Bee is, after all, a necked down .32-20.

222 Rimmed are just that. A 222 Remington case with a rim developed for Martini Cadet Actions. My rifle has a 24" barrel and is a excellent 'walk-a-bout' varmint rifle weighing just 7lbs with Leupold 6x scope. The conversion suffers from weak extraction so pressures have to be limited to somewhat less than factory 222Rem. This is not a problem if using modern bullets like the 40gn Nosler BT which can be driven to 3400fps. If cases are a problem standard 222Rem cases can be fired in the rifle with the use of a cleaning rod after each shot or find and fit a rimless extractor. By far the best conversion I own is a 17/222Rimmed on a Martini Cadet action. This cartridge will equal the performance of the 17 Mach IV but in a very short and handy rifle.

310 cadet CANNOT be made from 32/20 unless the chamber is recut to suit the much thicker rim of the 32/20. Many of these little rifles have been so converted to fire 32/20 but remember the bore size of the cadet is 0.316 and firing 32/20's will result in poor accuracy. I have a number of Cadet rifles in both standard chambering and what I call the 310 Magnum. There is no shoulder in the case of a 32/20 fired in a 310 chamber.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Quote:

I believe the .222 is bigger around at the head than the .25/20 - .32/20 family of cases.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bertram cases are pretty universally regarded as junk. They are just too soft at the case head and cause problems. Use the 5.6x50R cases made by RWS available from Huntinton's

Posts: 421 | Location: Broomfield, CO, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the best small game rifles I've ever shot was a BSA martini target rifle 12/15 (thick walled action) that had been rebarrelled and chambered for 5.6x50R. The conversion required a Cadet extractor to replace the 22RF extractor of the original.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear Bad Ass,
Can you help me locate a breechbolt for a Martini Cadet? Someone swiped the one out of my kids 17 Ack Bee and she`s heartbroken. Need a complete bolt for the 310. Pay whatever the going rate is. All help appreciated.

Aloha, Mark[in Or]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I might know where there is one but you may have to get the firing pin rebushed for AH. Leave it with me a bit.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Short necked 222 rimmed cases can be made from 357 Max cases.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try this site for all cartridge dimensions
http://www.reloadbench.com/cartspec.html

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dear Bad Ass-
Thank a million! My email is kailuacustom@msn.com.

Aloha, Mark