THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    6.5x284, 6.5-06 AI, or 264 Win Mag or............?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x284, 6.5-06 AI, or 264 Win Mag or............?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted
I'm trying to figure out what to have my 26" barrelled Encore chambered for. I want some long range potential without going too crazy. Anyone have any evperience with either of the 2 wildcats or maybe another good sized 6.5 mm?? I'm partial to wildcats...they're just more fun!!

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
I had a 6.5X284 built around 1967. It had a fast twist barrel and a long throat. The jackets would spin off all the 140 gr. bullets. Hornady's 160 and Norma's 160 held together just fine but the best pill was Fred Barnes'155gr. original.Actually it was Jack Whitworth's bullet; he worked for Fred. Sensational deer killer rifle.However all three of the cartridges you're looking at will do the same job. The other two are faster. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 6.5-284 will do everything your looking for.Factory brass is available through Norma(Good brass a little soft),Lapua(Exellent brass) and Hornady(Never have tried it).I had McMillan build me a Tactical in 6.5-284 about 4 years or so back it had a 28" Schnieder 1-9 twist barrel and shot the Sierra 142 Match Kings like a "HOUSE OF FIRE" surprising enough it also shot the 95gr V-Max's well(2.5"@600yrds).
What I learned was I did not need all that barrel for the long range work(600-1000yrds)..The 142gr Sierra MK'S perform best around 2850fps..But I was pushing the 95gr V-Max's close to 3600fps and it makes a real mess of Yote's a GroundHogs:-)..Another thing to keep in mind if you plan on using the heavier match type bullets unless you want to single shot it you need to go with a long action,My 142 Sierra's AOL is 3.107...

Good Luck.
ALPINE.

Posts: 191 | Location: Pacific Northwest. | Registered: 05 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the 6.5-06 AI has the sexiest look of any of the improved cartridges. It also is an accurate round when good components and a very good smith join in. I have 2 of these and most recently built a 264 Mag. It shoots better than I thought it could, 140 Sierra SBT and a healthy dose of Retumbo produce fantastic groups with velocity near 3300 fps. I had JGS make the 264 reamer and Dan Green of Forgreen`s made the 6.5-06 AI, the AI has a tight neck and is throated for the base of the 120 Nosler Ballistic Tip to be at the neck/shoulder junction. I also had the 264 reamer throated for this bullet and the Sierra 140 is also set at the same place, just a coincidence but I`m very happy about that. Recoil is noticeable with the 264 w/140`s but the AI is really sweet with the 120`s. Both will group in the .3"-.4" 5 shots on a good day.

Posts: 370 | Location: Memphis, TN. U.S.A. | Registered: 24 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Or...... How about the 6.5 WSM? I really like mine. Mine shoots 129 gr. Hornady's like a house of fire.

Don't know if you are into the Short-N-Fat genre of cartridges but, it is an alternative.

Good luck!!

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Quote:

AAAAARRRRGGGHHHH!! I used to have a 264 Mag on a P-14 action, so I think I'm gonna go with that one.

Why not try a 6,5X68, beltless ase a big enough boiler room. There have been a wildcat made called 6,5X64 Brenneke, which uses the 9,3X64 Brenneke case.

6,5, 270 and 7mm has good BC and SD and will be suitable as long range rifles for praire or mountains.

6,5-06 is actually quite nice cartridge in standard configuration. I hate to fire form cases.

/ JOHAN

one of us
posted Hide Post
How about a 256 Newton for something different. Here is a good site with some info on the Newton and a whole bunch of others as well. http://ammoguide.com/ Click "run ammo guide now" It list capacity at 68g. of water in the 6.5-06 and 64g. in the Newton, 69g. for the 30-06 just for comparrison. So while it will most likely be a little slower than the 6.5-06 I think the "cool factor" of being a little different more than makes up for a few FPS, but that's just me!

You can order a set of dies from RCBS in 256 Newton. I just run 30-06 cases through the Newton dies and trim to length. No fireforming.

Question: If a factory round is discontinued does it count as a wildcat? Or do you just say, "factory discontinued" ?

Posts: 82 | Location: seattle | Registered: 14 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go with the .264 . Just make your brass from 7mm mag stuff and tell yourself you are wildcatting........(grin)

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
I went with the 6.5-06 Imp. Sounds like fun. Now I have to wait 11 1/2 weeks for the barrel to come (sigh)......

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It looks like I'm too late here. And I was going to try and talk you into the .264 ultra mag. I've got one in an encore and it screams. 3,625 with a 120 barnes. You know it's never too late to change your mind.

Posts: 1144 | Location: utah | Registered: 07 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
Filmit, What's a 264 Ultramag? Is it Remington's 7mm U.M. necked down?? None of the companies that I found that make Encore barrels listed it, otherwise it sounds like a good one.

<eldeguello>
posted
What do you want? Accuracy or velocity? If acuracy, 6.5/.284! If velocity, .264 Win. Mag & 28" barrel!!

Picture of chovanl
posted Hide Post
I'm with JOHAN, I have been shooting my 6.5x270 (6.5x64mm brennke)for years, this round will do everything the 6.5x284 will do, and the 6.5x06,
Reach out and touch someone
Have a great day
SFC Chovan
In the Middle East

Posts: 35 | Location: Rocksprings, Texas | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Quote:

I have been shooting my 6.5x270 (6.5x64mm brennke)for years

Hi, the 6,5X64 Brenneke I mentioned is a 9,3X64 necked down to 6,5. It's a wildcat. Is it one of those you have or do you have the almost gone 6,5X64 brenneke based on the 7X64 brenneke case?

/ JOHAN

Picture of chovanl
posted Hide Post
Johan,
The rifle is chambered in the wildcat version, the 6.5x64mm is the same case as the 270,(so I'm told) i can use the 6.5x06 data, or the long lost brennke data, My favorite deer rifle is a Stery M in a 7x64 brennke
Have a great day
chovanl

Posts: 35 | Location: Rocksprings, Texas | Registered: 20 November 2003Reply With Quote