New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5/30-30 Improved
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Was offered Marlin 336 in 30-30 in VG+ shape except the bore is �cloudy�, for fraction of the cost of new one. And friend has mint barrels for 6.5x55 gathering dust. Getting urge to make one light rifle for 6.5/30-30 Improved. Will use standard 140 grains bullets with clipped points. Many gun-rug writers have high opinion about 6.5 JDJ in T-C Contender (http://www.reloadbench.com/cartridges/p65jdj.html ), even on animals as large as elk. Looks to me that 6.5/30-30 Improved in rifle should surpass 6.5 JDJ on 200 yds. distance, even with flat tip bullets. Any input on this wildcat? Thanks, Onty.

Posts: 158 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I had a 6.5 Grassl rimmed contender barrle. The 6.5 GR is the 7mm Intl Rimmed necked down, or a 6.5mm on a 30/30 case with 38 degree shoulder. From my 14" contender barrel, I was getting 6.5 JDJ velocities, ie 120 gr @ 2400 fps with a few grains less powder. I guess an improved version with shoulder moved forward would have a bit more powder capacity.

I did have short brass life, case/heads would sepperate after a few firings. Accuracy was very good though.

I'd think a 20" tube would be capable of 2400-2500 fps with 140's.

You'll have to completely cut off the chamber of a 6.5X55 barrel for your project, don't know if the remaining barrel is large enough in dia for the chamber after that opperation. You'll also be out for the custom reloading dies.

I'd actually go the opposite route, ie larger bore. The 357 Herret can be made with a longer neck so that brass doesn't have to be trimmed back, and std 357 Herret dies will work with the long neck brass. Used Herret dies can be had for $20 or so, and there are chambering reamers out there as well. I was approaching 2000 fps with 200 gr cast bullets in a 10" contender, a 20" rifle should be good for another 300 fps. Plenty of 35 rem type bullets that'll work fine in a tube mag w/o modification, and I'd much rather use a 35 bore for elk than a 26 bore.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Guess you will have some of the same problems I did experience with a TC in 7/30 Waters and a friends 7/30 JDJ. Case splits in shoulder area ( cases get very thin when improved) and lack of flat point bullets for tube magazine. Otherwise should be an improvement over 30/30!

Posts: 3 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at the EABCO (E.A. Brown) website for info on the "6.5mm BRM". It's a 219 Donaldson wasp (30/30 case) necked up to 6.5mm. The same "improved" case is also available in .22, 6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm, and .308". Dies and brass are available but you're "on your own" for a reamer unless EABCO does the re-barreling.
I'm having a Ruger #3 re-barreled to the 6.5mm BRM and they have had the rifle for almost 5 months!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 25/35 imp, 24" barrel that follows the original 20" contour. It hangs beautifully I might add! No troubles with split cases when useing once fired brass, not sure why it would cause troubles in a 7/30 waters??
I would round up all the old 129 Horn roundnose I could find and use that for everything.

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
The BRM's are interesting, but the Wasp case is a shortened 30/30. FWIW, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote