New
Find
Notify
Tools

8mm-06 oldie but goodie
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After coming upon a Mauser full stock with set triggers as a gift from the son of a departed an beloved uncle. I took his old RCBS dies for this wildcat, that came into life as an 8mm, and some once fired 30-06 cases and set about finding a load this old rifle would shoot well. The rifle itself hadn't been fired in 30 years or so though it is tight and the action butter smooth.
Settling on 52.5 grs of H4895 under a Speer 170gr (.323) that for some reason or another was sitting on my reloading shelf and a WLR primer I have found the rifle to be more than accurate. A five shot group on a windless afternoon at 100 yds from a LeadSled rest measured a surprizing .725." with an average speed of 2790 fps over a chronograph.
Though superly accurate and able to kill most every big game animal in North America performance is along the lines of an equivalent 30-06 load, which BTW is a pretty damm good performer in it's own right.
Makes me wonder what ever became of the original German owner whom lost the rifle during WWII to a GI whom my uncle won it from in a poker game!

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
If those old guns could talk.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you using 8mm-06 dies or just neck sizing with 8mm dies?

Molon Labe

New account for Jacobite

Posts: 631 | Location: SW. PA. | Registered: 03 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornCalled the poor man's Magnum in the Rifleman in the late 40s or early 50s. A buddy of mine in the Yukon still uses the one I made for him in the mid 60s. Wink
The 8mm-06 can deliver most bullets with more authority than the 30-06. This particularly true of heavy for caliber bullets. It for some reason never became very popular for any period of time.
Had it received popularity It probably would have been overshadowed by the .338 gang anyway.
Took some measurements on a 8mm-06 barrel just last week. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good caliber, I have the AI version. Works well with 185 gr Rem bullets. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
I used mine with 200 gr. Partitions at 2740 fps. on black bears and IMO, it kills all out of proportion to its paper ballistics. Just a well balanced round,like the 338/06, that does not get the respect it deserves!

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2272 | Location: Texas | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dan belisle:

Hey Dan did you buy that 8mm-06 barrel off me?

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lee440:
I used mine with 200 gr. Partitions at 2740 fps. on black bears and IMO, it kills all out of proportion to its paper ballistics. Just a well balanced round,like the 338/06, that does not get the respect it deserves!

You might want to try some Vv N550 in that 8mm-06.

I'm getting nearly the same Mv W/a .323 200gr Partition from an 8X57 using 53.5gr ov N550.

GOOGLE HOTLINK FIX FOR BLOCKED PHOTOBUCKET IMAGES https://chrome.google.com/webs...inkfix=1516144253810

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wildcat junkie:
quote:

One of, yup. I rechambered my original 8mm-06 AI to 8x68S, and installed the barrel I got from you on an FN Mauser I had laying around. Worked out well. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wildcat junkie:
quote:

One of, yup. I rechambered my original 8mm-06 AI to 8x68S, and installed the barrel I got from you on an FN Mauser I had laying around. Worked out well. - dan

How did the 8X68s turn out? My 8X68S project has been on the back burner. I have a couple of 29" 8X57 barrels, one 98/29 & a really primo Persian. They have the larger diameter 2nd step out to 24" from the end of the thread. They will allow a heavier profile when turned down & I already have the persian barrel cut & crowned to 26" for the 8X68S.

I want to re-use the original J P Sauer action for the 8mm-06 A.I. & I have a really nice "42" code Oberndorf action for the 8X68S.

I recently put together a Budget Oberndorf Custom on a commercial Vz500 intermediate length action.

I laid out a different profile for turning out the steps. It's not a "taper", but a constant radiaus sweep from the front of the chamber "flat" to blend into the muzzle diametem about 7 3/4" from the crown. It leaves the maximum amount of stock. It's a real shooter too as you can see by the link.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a nice looking rifle. The 8x68 still needs finishing, but it shoots well. I have been traveling a lot for work, so haven't had enough time to finish things. I probably have a dozen rifles (and a few handguns) in various stages of completion, lol. And a few favors for friends. Just never seems to be enough time, sadly. - dan

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just want to fall in on the 8mm-06;

a wonderful cartridge! Very efficient, modest recoiling and easy reloadable.

My Swedish Husquarna 640 got a Hightech stock, the original 60cm 8x57IS barrel cut to 56cm, recrowned, the rechambering cleaning up old marks etc.

It makes 2580 fps with the deadly 220gr Woodleigh RN.
When stalking for moose(with a dog in a leach) its very handy. I even feel secure in bear countrySmiler

m

Posts: 413 | Location: Norway | Registered: 14 May 2009Reply With Quote