New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need information on 25 Copperhead
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone have a copy of Handloader or Rifle Magazine which featured the 25 Copperhead by John Wootters?

If so, could you please e-mail me. I would like to have a copy of the article. Considering a future project.

Thanks

7-30 Waters

Posts: 179 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 26 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have it buried somewhere around the house. It is also mentioned in Ken Howell's Blue Book if you need case dimensions.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's in the Wolfe Wildcats book as well, a couple of articles if memory serves. Pm me with your email addy if you want me to scan them for you. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get it from Dan B., I can't find the article. In answer to your other post regarding parent cartridge, the only option I see is the 5.6x50mm rimmed magnum from RWS. IIRC, it is nothing more than a rimmed version of the .222 Rem. Mag. and be formed a bit shorter with form or perhaps sizing die.

If the above is correct you may want to consider falling back to something akin 30-30 for the basis, or perhaps the .357 Maximum. Brass supply will be better. .25-20 SINGLE SHOT brass is another option but you will lose about 25% case capacity compared to the .222.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The 25/222 copperhead is made from the 222 Rem. Taper expand neck to .360" dia F/L size in 25/222 die. Trim and chamfer. Rimmed version can be formed from the 357 Maximum, it will be about .060" short. In other words the case neck will be .275" instead of .335". The rimmed version works guite well in a Martini Cadet action. Starting load should be 60 grain Spire Point behind 19.0 grains of H4227. 19.5 grains of H4227 will give 2955 FPS from a 26" barrel.
Hope this helps.

Lee L.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Other have suggested the Wildcats book by Wolfe as a source for Wooters articles on his sensible little wildcat. If you don't own it already you're denying yourself endless hours of reading pleasure. If memory serves there is an article elsewhere in the same book on the 257 Kimber, based on the 222 Remington Magnum case, as well as several more about the 6mm/222, 6x45, and 6x47. All are attractive, but I'm still pondering the merits of a 24 inch 25/35 barrel for my Contender Carbine. Good hunting!

one of us
posted Hide Post
In Australia this cartridge was known and loaded as the 250Myra. If you get on the Australian/NZ forum someone may have a copy of an informative article written in the Aust. Shooters Journal of October'93. I've got the load data from this article if your interested.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote