THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM WILDCAT FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Wildcats And Their Development    Wildcats based on a std belted case using 50 bmg bullets?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wildcats based on a std belted case using 50 bmg bullets?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted
I'd like to have a long barrelled (quick twist)thumper barrel made up for my T/C Encore. Kind of a 28" long 1.25" dia fluted step up monster with some kind of brake. Problem is, The 460 Weatherby casehead is out of the question for the Encore. Are there any wildcats based on the std belted mag case out there that'll push a 750 gr bullet 2000fps?

"It's like killing roaches - you have to kill 'em all, otherwise what's the use?"
Charles Bronson

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
The case is too small in dia. The min dia for a straight walled case to take a .510" bullet would be .535" at the case head, and a belted basic case is approximately .500" at the case head. Even an ultramag aka 404 Jeffrey case which is ~.540" at the case head would be a straight walled case that would have nothing the headspace on.

The biggest you can go on the belted basic case is .475", if you want a 50 cal, you're looking at 50-70 gov, or the big W case.

If you want to play with a 50, you'll need a bigger action. If you like single shots, the Ruger #1 can be made into a dandy 500 NE. If you opt for a boltgun, the CZ-550 416 Rigbys can be made into 500 A-sq for a relatively reasonable price.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
50 Whisper/Peacekeeper...

460 weatherby, to 2", feeds in a mauser single stack..

AINT a .530 casehead, though
jeffe

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 39708 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
510 Whisper is too slow and the 500 Whisper has that 460 head diameter
Isn't the Peacekeeper the one based on the 460 Weath Mag, too? Can't always get what you want, I guess. Thanks for the answers...

"It's like killing roaches - you have to kill 'em all, otherwise what's the use?"
Charles Bronson

Posts: 504 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hold on, now. What you need is a 50-110 or 50-140-3 1/4 if the action can handle .565" at the base.
The 50-110 is .550" at the base and 2.75" long, so add your long-ass bullet in there and you have a 4.5" round! With the Sharps case you're looking at more like 5"!!! Monstrous!
I'm sure at that point it's just a matter of having enough barrel to get your 2kfps.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
Bwana, hmmmmm...that sounds quite do-able. It'll take me a while to come up with the funds, so I've got time to think about it. Sounds like a hoot!!

Charles Bronson

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out the SSK web site, J.D. Jones has a whole line of cartridges based on the long .50 cal bullet.

one of us
Picture of old4x4
posted Hide Post
Loco, Yeah, but he doesn't specify gun type available with each ctg. That was the first website I went to, and when you call them, you can't speak with one of the smiths. You have to ask your question thru the secretary. Not a good technique if you have more than 1 or 2 questions...

Charles Bronson

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 20" 510 whisper barrel on my Encore. The 510W is based on the 338 lapua cut down to 1.885". The recoil so far has wrecked Tasco and Redfield scopes, broke the magnification adjustment on a Leupold VX3, ripped off the bipod adaptor twice, and stripped out the forend screws. I have beefed up the bipod adaptor and made barrel bands for the forend. It is still an ass kicker. You may want to rethink your desire for a gun shooting 700 plus grain bullets in a less than eight pound rifle. My silencer helps on the recoil a bit, but the muzzle brake I made is not very effective because the 30 grain powder charge is too little offset the recoil.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Opps, I see that your barrel is 28" long and 1.25" wide. How heavy will this sucker be? Smiler

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote