New
Find
Notify
Tools

303 or 30-40 Krag wildcats
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any of you gents have any experiance with these? I know some of you across the pond should have several. I would be interested if you could steer me towards some info on them. I would be interested in about any of them.
Thanks.
Jeff

Posts: 655 | Location: Kansas US of A | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only experience I've had with the.303Br.case,I shortened it to 1.625" and necked it to .30 caliber.

I used a shortened .30-06 chamber.Case capacity
is about the same as the .30 Herrett.The advantage over the .30 Herrett is the option to use bullets up to 220 grs.

I have also blown the .303 Br. out straight to .44 caliber 2.175 long,which puts it in the same class as the .44 Van Hooten Super{30/40 Krag case} or a mild.444 Marlin load.

Probably the main reason for the many different wildcats built on the .303 Br.case was the fact that civilian possesion of a .303 Br. rifle was forbidden in parts of the British Empire.

Probably one of the first wildcats on the .303
was simply setting the barrel back one thread so
the full length .303 Br. would not chamber.

The .303Br. has been necked from .22 caliber to .44 caliber.

Much of the wildcatting done on the .303 Br.
was done in Australia.The reason being British rifles were availible .

The .30/40 Krag was necked from .22 to .44 caliber also.Most of the small high velocity
rounds were used on singleshot rifles.I believe.

Larger calibers were used in Krags and lever guns.

Quite a few obsolete cartridges can also be formed from the .303 Br. and the .30/40 Krag.

WC

Posts: 407 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
WC is correct. I'd like to add that a current "popular" wildcat is the .35 Rem. rimmed formed from either the .303 or .30-40 and used in the Contender. The only alteration required to the gun is a rim cut and standard .35 Rem. dies are used. Of course the case is shortened.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WC, you pretty much summed up what I am after [Wink] . For what I have in mind the these two cases would be more user friendly, I hope, than some of the others I have looked at. The rim is a definate plus on a few projects I have in mind. I had several articles concerning wildcatting off of thses two, and damned if I know what I did with them! I know I am not breaking new ground here. I figure if some other poor soul has played with them and gottten the bugs worked out of them or found a + or - side to them would save me some late nights and headaches as well. I am thinking more in the smaller calibers 22 6, 6.5, 7 and 30. Some what of a WSSM or the BR or Herret type on steroids, only with a rim.

Hobie, good to see ya. I think I finally got the bugs worked out of my 35 rimmed, I hope. I went to the 303 brass and got the Redding form and trim die. Seemed to do the trick, but only after polishing the knurling off of the Redding expander ball.
Just a note to any of you wanting to do this, I think one of the tapered expanders would be the trick for this one. I guess I am hard headed or tight, aw what the hell, LOL, I am both. But I have not purchased a tapered expander, yet.

Thanks to both of you guys for the input [Smile] .

Where are you guys from Canada Or Australia???
Waiting to hear from some one with hands on [Wink] .
Jeff

Posts: 655 | Location: Kansas US of A | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
I finally formed a good .35 Rem Rimmed case by first forming without the expander plug, then with the plug, then trimming. Now need to find someone to make the rim cut. Not many around here I'd trust with the job. I could do it but don't have a lathe... [Roll Eyes] That old "if only... then..."

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a case based on the 30-40 Krag, necked down to 7mm. Neck shortened shoulder moved forward and sides straitened. Case capacity 65.65gr of water. About 280 rem. improved. Get approx. 3300 fps out of 26 inch barrel(139gr bullet) on a Ruger #3 action. Works good on the mule deer around here.
It was pointed out to me while I was having to rifle put together that the 30-40 case dimentions vary quite a bit. Mine is bigger in the body than it needs to be.(not a tight chamber) You might want to get a bunch of brass before you start so the reamer could be made closer to your dimentions.

Posts: 2 | Location: nebraska | Registered: 13 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You may want to look at some of the Epps wildcats developed up here in Canada.

Ellwood Epps worked with Parker Ackley to do the initial development of a blown out .303 case that was easier to reload than standard fare .303's in milsurps. These cartridges (the .303 Epps), according to Epps, would produce velocities in excess of 2800 fps with 180 grain bullets shot out of a rechambered P14 rifle.

Epps did further work with the case, necking it up as high as .375 and down as far down as .22 (which gave Swift-like velocities). I believe there were a lot of rifles chambered in .25 Epps and .270 Epps made in the '60's.

Posts: 190 | Location: Manotick, Ontario, Canada | Registered: 24 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
You could look at some of the Aussie 303 wildcats - various case length and shoulder angles in 303-22 , 303-243 , 303-25 , 303-270 . Most of these were factory loaded by the Super Cartridge Co of Melbourne , and others .
With the exception of some of the 303-22's the rest were basically necked down military 303 Ball cartridges having had the bullet pulled prior to renecking , then the new calibre projectile seated .
Or you could look at the 7.7 x 54 , which is the standard case 303 with the shoulder set back slightly - ballistically the same as the 303 . The Australian Government of the day deemed Aussies untrustworthy with military rifles , so the locals merely turned an extra thread onto the breech end of the smle barrel , machined one thread off the breech face end , re cut the rim groove and threaded the barrel back in . Presto - a 303 that wont chamber a standard military 303 ball round . Cunning sods those Aussies. [Big Grin]

Most all the 303 necked calibres are the same as the Epps Canadian ones , well to all intents and purposes anyway . Interesting series of cartridges all the same , and mostly all well documented. [Wink]

Posts: 4457 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bad Ass Wallace
posted Hide Post
I have a P14 in 303/25 and also a SMLE in the same chambering.
The front locking P14 is a real performer and velocities are equal to the 257 Roberts. The SMLE has to be loaded only to the same levels as the 250/3000.

Posts: 1785 | Location: Kingaroy, Australia | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I simply had my P-14 chamber re-cut with a .300 Winchester Magnum reamer to yield a ".303 Winchester Magnum". Just load it like a .300 Win. Mag., except use .303 bullets instead of .30s.

Posts: 254 | Location: Vancouver, Canada | Registered: 10 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you want to read about the 303 Epps, go to www.303british.com and scroll down the page a bit.
I have a few Epps conversions, most notably 2 303 Epps - one built on a No4 action, the other on a P-14.

The most popular is the 303 followed by the 6.5 Epps. Ellwood's improvements all featured a 35 degree shoulder.

How much horsepower you want bares directly on the action used. Over the years Winchester SS, Rugers, No 1, No 4 LEs, P-14s, SS Dakotas and others have been used.

Safe Shooting! [Big Grin]
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Posts: 172 | Location: New Lowell, Ontario | Registered: 14 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PMP make cases in 6 mm Musgrave wich is a 6/303

good shooting

DAN TEC

Posts: 50 | Location: France | Registered: 10 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All I can say is thanks and [Smile] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Wink] [Cool] [Cool]
Jeff