New
Find
Notify
Tools

45/70-444
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has there been anyone who have tried to neckdown a 45-70 or a 45-90 to .429 cal, for use in a levergun?? bewildered

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jens poulsen:
Has there been anyone who have tried to neckdown a 45-70 or a 45-90 to .429 cal, for use in a levergun?? bewildered

Why? There are a whole lot more suitable bullets in .457"-.458" size than in .429"......

Now, a .416, now there's a concept! Opps! It has ben did alreddy!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
to 416
416 barnes (not supreme)

to .410

40/65 modern BPC round

jeffe

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38486 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I must admit that's one combo I haven't heard of bewildered but that doesn't mean that someone hasn't tried it clap One of the better ways I've found of researching what combinations have been tried is by looking at the custom die charts from the various die makers, lot's and lot's of combo's that you've never read about.

I agree that it doesn't make alot of sense due to available componet bullets, but that's never stopped a wildcatter before Wink

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gents,

Already have the reamer for it. I call it a 444 Marlin Improved.

Dan

Posts: 62 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Sounds more like an emasculated 45-70. Why bother? Sounds like a lot of trouble for no practical gain. Now a .429" on the 348 Winchester might be interesting.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jackfish,

Have that one too. I call it a 44 Alaskan improved. And I have a 45=70 improved.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I stand in the 45-70 crowd. All sounds superfluous to me, but most wildcats are these days. It's getting harder and harder to find a nitch that hasn't been filled yet. However, you gotta do what you gotta do. Have fun!

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3287 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
quote:
45=70 improved

What is that?

Posts: 1080 | Location: Western Wisconsin | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's a 45-70 that has been blown open to 475, or a 475GNR, and then a sharp shoulder and short neck put on.

one of us
Picture of jackfish
posted Hide Post
Gee, that ought to make a big difference.

one of us
posted Hide Post
bigboredan,
Tell us about the 44 Alaskan Improved. What action? What ballistics?

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suppose a .429/70 (or how about a .452/70 AI?) would have the advantage of being able to use inexpensive cast lead pistol bullets for practice and a weide variety of <300 grain jacketed bullets for deer, smaller game, and varmints, but then I wake up and remember that the 444 Marlin offers the same advantage out of the box.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bonjoure of Paris you Could sent the gauge to me which is in the book of Fred Zeling or if you to have of other delivers or one speaks about the gauges of wildcat is or one can find gauge of nomination is the base how to form them. I information retrieval of gauge of wildcat I know that there is in book could be you communicated them to me. Of it is the base of the casings of the gauge which is in this book is if these possible their ballistics. Thank you for all in advance. In a friendly way your sharp wildcat ammunition