Notify
Tools

Improved 338-06 AI
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of kiwiwildcat
posted
Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone out there has had any experiences with the 338-270 HGT or 338-06 King Express?

I started off keen on the 338-06 AI (40 degree shoulder), but looking at the case spec's I couldn't help wonder how much more improvement you would get by pushing the shoulder further forward. The neck on the standard 338-06 AI could actually be shortened, since it is more than 1 calibre in length - then I came across the 338-270 HGT in Wildcat Cartridges Vol 2. This wildcat (based on 270 brass) moves the shoulder forward by .010, has the 40 degree shoulder & equals .338 Win Mag ballistics from the same length barrel and burns less powder in the process

The .338-06 King Express is another improved .338-06 AI, that was brought to my attention by Dave Kiff at Pacific. This has a shorter neck than the 338-270 HGT, but shoulder angle is 30 degrees. One of your servicemen fighting in Iraq at the moment has had one built, so waiting for him to get back into the US before I can find more info.

Cheers,

Michael.

She was only the Fish Mongers daughter. But she lay on the slab and said 'fillet'

Posts: 511 | Location: Auckland, New Zealand. | Registered: 22 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I did what you are talking about years ago. I took a 280 case blew the shoulder out took it to 40 degs and moved it forward to make the neck .28. With Norma brass I have 80.4 grs of water capacity. With bullets 225 and below from a 24" I could exceed my own handloads from my 338Wmag with a 22". If you like I can send you a proof copy what Accuload put in their software.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Or checkout the 338 Hawk\Scovil by Fred Zeglin at Z-hat Custom. It maxes out the '06 case capacity. And Fred makes custom handloading dies.

Just remember, any wildcat that is 'wilder' than improved will not fire the parent cartridge because of excessive headspace.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
There is also the 340 Howell.

http://www.hunting-rifles.com/casecomp.html

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
This works very well. I had one years ago, with a slightly longer mag and throat I got full 338 factory speeds. This in 24" of barrel.

Posts: 558 | Location: Southwest B.C. | Registered: 16 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I read the original article on the 338HGT by Herb Troester and got a prechambered barrel from Dennis Bellm(Ackley's succesor).That rifle has been my go to elk rifle, shooting 210 Noslers over N204 for 2900fps. I use 280 brass to form as cases shorten significantly. It will also shoot 225 Partitions @ 2700fps and both loads will stay under 1".
My rifle has a 24" #3 contour, Sako L61R action,
Brown Precision stock and a 4x Nikon at just over 8 lb. Recoil is much lighter than a 338 Mag, probably more like an 06 with just a rubber pad. Give it a try, it is very hard to find a bad load, though it likes warmish best.

Posts: 90 | Location: NW PA | Registered: 20 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got a 338-270HGT and got my cases fireformed and will be doing some load developement this spring. I took 280 cases since the shoulder are forward more than the 270 opened the neck with a tapered 35 cal expander, backed the die out to set to reset top of shoulders so the case will eject. Used 13 gr of Bulleye, fill with cream wheat packed top with cottom and got perfect cases. If anyone has any loads please post. Thanks Tom

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OR you could just go out and purchase yourself a 9.3x66 Sako. Trouble is, it isn't a wildcat.
I wonder if Fred Zeglin from Z Hat is playing around with the new 66mm long case?
Malcolm

Posts: 110 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by malcolm:
OR you could just go out and purchase yourself a 9.3x66 Sako. Trouble is, it isn't a wildcat.
I wonder if Fred Zeglin from Z Hat is playing around with the new 66mm long case?
Malcolm

Wildcatters usually pounce on a new case in no time! I agree it should be interesting to see some results of say a 40 degree 338 or 300.

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
or you could do the old brown/whelen and neck it to 338 it pushed the neck to only .250" length

Posts: 152 | Location: Vanc.USA | Registered: 15 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
The neck on a 338-66 would already be around .28. Check out the drawings of the shoulders. https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6521043/m/520103734

Unless you use a long magazine (3.6"+) so you can really seat the bullet out your net capacity gain will be very small.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K