New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electronic cartridge database
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone ever seen or developed an electronic cartridge database? I'm thinking about a database of everything from Cartridges of the World for example. A listing that you could search on and sort by a set of attributes.

Let's say you want to see all cartridges with a bullet diameter of between .375" and .458" that are rimmed with a case length over 1.5" and not obsolete. Just sort the list by these criteria and bingo, you get a small summary of vital statistics to point you in the right direction. At least you have a starting point for more research, loads, ballistics, etc.

With database software, it would be easy to enter all the stuff from the chapter summaries in COTW as well as wildcat books, etc and have a great searchable list. I'm just trying to see if someone has done it already! No use reinventing the wheel! maxman

Posts: 337 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I could code and host a website that could do that, but I would need lots of people to enter info.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
check out the cartridge section of www.chuckhawks.com

Jason

Posts: 575 | Location: VA | Registered: 20 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post

Posts: 211 | Location: Little Rock, AR. USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I have seen those two sites, but they are not really what I am thinking of. I'd like a database that a user could sort/filter by a set of criteria. If you know a few parameters, you could quickly narrow down the list. If you were looking for a new elk cartridge, for example, you could set it up to show you only those cartridges that are .338 caliber and have non-belted brass.

Instead of looking through each section of COTW, or clicking on every .338 round listed, the program would present you with a set of items that matched what you were looking for. From there, you could use one of these other tools to look up specifics on each one of those results - or these could be built into the database as well. Just looking for a better way to index and search through the hundreds of types of ammo available. maxman

Posts: 337 | Location: Minnesota, USA | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 131 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 09 August 2003Reply With Quote