New
Find
Notify
Tools

8 x 57 AI
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well, I've got my hands on a M48 Mauser parts gun and I want to rechamber with something with more oomph that will still work through the mid-length action. I think an 8 mm-06 AI will be too long.

It seems like an 8 x 57 AI is what I'm after but I can't find dimensions on Clymer's web site.

Can anyone forsee problems using 7 x 57 AI dimensions for the body and shoulder and 8 x 57 for the neck and pilot?

Well I see that the stock 8 x 57 base to shoulder length is greater than the 7 x 57 AI - so that's an obvious problem. Looks like its back to the drawing board - literally. I'll have to dust-off geometry to calculate AI base to shoulder length given less tapered body and 40 * shoulder angle. Any suggestions on how to approach this?

TIA!

Posts: 196 | Location: NC | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DobleTroble,

Well, I can help you with this one as I have done it. Dave Kiff @ PTG did the reamer for me following the original guidelines that P O Ackley stated. I used a surplus Yugo mdl 24 that had an excellent barrel. You MUST remove the barrel and do the necessary set-back prior to chambering with the Improved reamer. Since the barrel is not cartridge marked it is not necessary to set it back 1 full turn. (I set mine back 0.025 and rechambered .004 short as per Ackley recommendation). I still have the stock to fit & finish so I can not report any accuracy/velocity readings. I have only test-fired with factory Remington ammo and all went well, a very nice clean chamber.

Good luck with your particular firearm but I would suggest you do the regular rechamber.

Ol' John

PS- Oops! Beg your pardon..left off some of the requested info....Length from base to 40* shoulder..1.8612"---base to juncture of shoulder and neck....1.923"...diameter at 40* shoulder...0.455"....... These measurements from the reamer spec sheet provided by Dave Kiff @ Pacific Tool & Gauge, 598 Avenue C, White City, Oregon 97503...541-826-5808

Posts: 111 | Location: Hondo, Texas 78861 | Registered: 16 March 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
A few years back, there was an article in the Handloader's Digest on one of these 8X57 Improved cartridges. I believe the rifle was built on a Ruger No. 1 action. It seemed to be an excellent design, quite powerful, at least equal to a standard 8mm/'06.

one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
Doble Troble:

Do a search on the Gunsmithing forum ( newer than 1 year).

Look for "Hotrodding", (must use quotation marks) user name - wildcat junkie.

There are several alternatives listed for the M48/VZ500 actions.

The 8X57 A.I. Model I did on "Quickload" did not show a signifigant improvement.

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info guys. Damn you're good!

WJ: Excellent analysis of 8mm rechambering options. Do you have Base-to-shoulder and shoulder diameter for the 8mm-Steyr AI?

HondoJohn: Thanks very much for the 8 x 57 AI specs. I've figured-out how to make my own reamers and will give this one a try as my next project. From WJ's analysis it probably won't make much field difference, but should be easier on brass and those 40* shoulders sure look cool

Posts: 196 | Location: NC | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Thanks for the info guys. Damn you're good!

WJ: Excellent analysis of 8mm rechambering options. Do you have Base-to-shoulder and shoulder diameter for the 8mm-Steyr AI?

Doble Troble:

Pacific Tool has done extensive developement on various incarnations based on the 376 Steyr case. Steyr was planning on bringing out thier own line of "short" magnums until they were upstaged by Winchester and Remington.

I believe it was Dave that I talked to. He can fax you reamer drawings.

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Doble Troble:

I bumped another thread up for you on the "Gunsmithing" topic.

Check out "376 Steyr as a Basis for Wildcat Cartridges"